Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #1

Floor joists and floor structure??

Anyone know what the floor system consists of on an Alpine? The brochure leads you to believe it's aluminum tubing, but doesn't go into any details. Do the joists run side to side? Front to rear? How far apart? I've got a rotten section under the table against the wall that I'm gonna have to fix. There was no visible signs of it until I stepped over there. The basement ceiling is rotten as well, and the crappy ass osb they used is saturated with water. I took a nail and poked through the black plastic on the basement ceiling for quite a distance and I don't feel any resistance that would be joists. I haven't figured out where the water is making entrance at yet. Definitely not looking forward to tearing into it, but it's gonna have to be done.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #2

My understanding/experience is that the floor is sandwiched OSB on top, styro-foam in middle, and thin plywood on bottom. Frame rails and outriggers provide all structural support. So deteriorated sections need to be replaced between outriggers, though the foam provides some lateral structure too. Most likely causes of floor rot are leaks along the caulk on top of the exterior belt line, window frames, toilet/sink drains, in that order.
PS--Previous posts on this forum describe a marine treatment chemical that can recover saturated OSB or plywood.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Cuda67bnl;6048291]Anyone know what the floor system consists of on an Alpine?
Welcome to our Alpine World.

You're timing is perfect for me. I was going to ask for the same information about the floor below the steering shaft, brake and accelerator pedals. I need to run three 1/2 inch dia air lines up into that space to connect to my new air throttle treadle.

Several years ago when I replaced the toilet flange I removed the damaged OSB in the water closet. In that area the aluminum tubes are rectangular and a bit larger than 2x4 lumber. They run both fore an aft and crosswise forming a rectangular grid. The spaces between the aluminum members are filled with white solid foam. I replaced the damaged OSB with plywood and covered it with Red Guard

Hope others respond with more detailed info.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #4

I learn something new every day--sometimes its two things [smile]. Guess an old sales brochure in the tech library might show the aluminum tubing?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

Pictures from responses from the Alpine facebook group show a angled grid of tubing..... interesting...... I suspect the belt line moulding is the cause, especially where it terminates at the side door. I will certainly document the repair when I address it. I plan to do a serious sealing job as soon as the weather cooperates. I’m just hoping I can save the tile when I start the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	287C48AC-12A1-40D8-98E8-1327A490E32A.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	353752  
Old 01-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Looking forward to how this turns out. I have same problem under my table close to refrigerator. It never gets walked on but at some point will need to be addressed. Previous owner had a propane line run in the corner. Water leaked from floor though that hole. It’s on my list.
sctalbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:59 PM   #7

I lucked out when tearing out the tile and carpet. The subfloor fwd of the pax seat was soft, but all the wood was there. The blackened mess shown looks far worse. It's a judgement call and the OP sounds well capable.

I used a wood hardener (many brands avail), which is lacquer thinner with plastic dissolved in it. The target wood must be DRY; two coats recommended, letting it soak into the wood as much as possible. It worked in my case.

I applied two coats (recommended) of Red Guard to seal the entire floor, before the heat elements and top quality LVP were professionally installed.

Tags
floor