Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #1

Question Fluorescent Light in Kitchen

Our light in the kitchen just went out the other day.
I assumed it was the tubes so I got 2 new ones at Home Depot but the old bulbs had F40CW/RS/EW 34 Watt.

I found the closest but had a choice of 32 Watt or 40 Watt.
I chose the 40Watt.

Light will still not come on with the new tubes.

I am thinking the ballast has gone out but was wondering if I should have gone with the 32 Watt, instead of the 40s?
Would that have made a difference?

I know many are converting to LED but I hate working with electricty.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electricity in an RV is nothing like in a home. You can unhook from shore power and work. If your rig has a house battery switch (mine has two, one for engine battery and one for the coach), turn it off then there is no power going to your 12V system.

Then you just put a new one in lickity-split. I switched all of mine out to LED. It was amazing how cool they are when compared to the OEM ones.

Based on the location of each light, I chose either the daylight type or the warm white. Galley got the daylight type.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would try new ballast first, But going to warm white 4500K LED would be my favorite.

If you boondock saves a ton of juice.

Look up "Leisure LED RV/Marine" for kits for your fixture.

mike
Old 06-06-2023, 10:48 AM   #4

Actually, I would ditch the fluorescent and ballast and go with LED's in the fixture.

And agree, would choose 4500-5000k. You decide whether you need more/less lumens in that area.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #5

Might still be some around but the old-style florescent bulbs and ballasts are long gone. Many lights in the Alpine are 12v but believe the overhead kitchen is 120v...Like Brett said, either way, you need to upgrade to the modern tube lights or to LED strings.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Take a look at M4 Products. They have a full line of RV lighting products and were very helpful to me in converting my lights and fixtures to LED.

They made several intensity levels of each light so you can get exactly brightness that your wife prefers… at least that is how it turned out for me.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:29 AM   #7

I just used LED tubes from Costco as a direct replacement for the fluorescents. Cool white light, brighter than the fluorescents.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I just used LED tubes from Costco as a direct replacement for the fluorescents. Cool white light, brighter than the fluorescents.
Yeah.... but if his Ballast has gone bad those won't work either.

I think the first thing to do is verify that there is power at the light, then after the ballast. If the ballast is truly bad then it makes sense to do a retrofit with direct power with one of the new LED replacement types designed to circumvent the ballast.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Yeah.... but if his Ballast has gone bad those won't work either.

I think the first thing to do is verify that there is power at the light, then after the ballast. If the ballast is truly bad then it makes sense to do a retrofit with direct power with one of the new LED replacement types designed to circumvent the ballast.
I've swapped tubes to LEDs on a few fixtures now, including the RV. All the bulbs I've bought had me bypass the ballast. I think they have an AC-DC transformer built in.

I should mention one of the Lowes/Home Depot LED bulb in the RV has already started to fail. I replaced them less than 2 years ago. We had not used the RV all Winter, and it just started doing it now that we are back in it. I'm hoping I can get it replaced by manufacturer.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I replaced all of the 12 volt fluorescent lights in my 2005. I was having trouble with interference with my AC thermostat, but really happy with the change. I purchased "Thin-Lite RV Euro-Style Recess Mount Led Light Fixture 14.4W DIST-LED766P" on Amazon. They are direct replacements for the ones that were in it. It may be difficult to find these exact ones, Thin Lite recently went out of business. Great thing about these are the brightness is adjustable. If you can't find these, I'm still in favor of LEDs.
jgsomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I've swapped tubes to LEDs on a few fixtures now, including the RV. All the bulbs I've bought had me bypass the ballast. I think they have an AC-DC transformer built in.

I should mention one of the Lowes/Home Depot LED bulb in the RV has already started to fail. I replaced them less than 2 years ago. We had not used the RV all Winter, and it just started doing it now that we are back in it. I'm hoping I can get it replaced by manufacturer.
Good luck with that.... all that stuff is Chinese, and they distribute through their American national distributor. You'd have better luck going back to Lowes. But for the price, it would probably be easier just to dump it and start over. ... Dudley Do-Right, 2006 Alpine Apex 40 MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light