Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #1

We are definitely considering going to the FMCA rally in Perry GA in Mar of 2007. Question is we have heard prior horror stories about parking in a mud field if it has rained a great deal. People at Perry National fairgrounds indicate they have added many drainage ditches(probably what I would drive right into) and additional roads, etc. Would like some of your expert opinions?
Thank you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #2

We are definitely considering going to the FMCA rally in Perry GA in Mar of 2007. Question is we have heard prior horror stories about parking in a mud field if it has rained a great deal. People at Perry National fairgrounds indicate they have added many drainage ditches(probably what I would drive right into) and additional roads, etc. Would like some of your expert opinions?
Thank you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #3

we were at the FMCA PERRY in 04. It did rain quite a bit. And it did get quite muddy in some areas. But all in all it was a good show. The exhibit buildings are certainly adequate. I saw many coaches being towed out cause they were stuck in the mud. I think the problem was trying to leave to early. We waited til later and drove right out.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #4

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
We have never been to Perry but were at FMCA in Hutchinson, Kansas a few years ago when it rained 6" and created a sea of mud. We had so much water around the coach that our rug was floating. People took it in stride and waded out to the road with Wal-Mart baqs tied around their feet. Too funny.

We were able to drive out but many had to be towed out backwards with a farm tractor. We thought the whole thing was just another FUN RV adventure.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #5

In the November 06 issue of the FMCA magazine in the Presidents section there is a couple of paragraphs of info concerning road and drainage improvement at Perry. It sounds like the issues are being addressed!!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Ted...
Living in south Georgia has given me ample opportunity to rally at Perry often enough. It is probably one of the best rally sites available in the U.S.. Several years back there was a terrible rain and worse mudding. However, one must consider the ability that some people lack to avoid getting stuck. Too many merely followed in the same tracks as the coach ahead of them, broke through the sod and became up to their axles in mud. Tod Perry's credit, every tractor in the area pulled out those stuck at no cost, as I remember it.
I will be in Perry. They put on a fine rally there.

Jim
2003 Alpine, 38'FDTS
2000 Saturn wagon.
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #7

The Friday before Christmas, it started raining in the wee hours (a good steady drizzle). By the time we passed the Fairgrounds around noon the field next to I-72 was standing in water. We're just down the road in Cordele... The rains will puddle but it tends to drain really fast (sand base?)

J.S. Eddy... don't see too many folks from Douglas. That's where my Dad's family is from (Hester & McKinnon).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Of course you mean I-75. Well, if it was raining, and I believe it was, that was just barely short of a miracle. We're about 25" short of our rain allotment. We haven't had any sustained wetness for a lpng time. We are in a drought state. I can't believe that any puddles would stay long.

And, Hello Cordele.

Jim
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote