Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #1

Fog lights ?

I want to replace the fog lights on my “04” Alpine.
Dose anyone know what to ask for at the auto parts store?
Thanks,
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Id take one in with me. Sometimes you get a good counter person, but like buying parts for equipment, they dont normally deal in it, dont have any experience with it, and a coach like that wont be in their parts catalogs. I doubt they'll have OEM but looking at the light they might be able to cross reference it. At least you’ll be able to tell if what they show you will fit, especially if Your lights are indexed.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #3

...not exactly sure of the brand name now but think the Std Hella Model 600 lights from one of the parts houses or off-road stores will do....lots of styles and bulb types are available....seems I ended up buying a kit [with lights, relay, wiring] the last time--just easier to find. Problem is the lights are mounted so low that they often get taken out by road debris.....newer, high-amp bulbs [non LED] may need some different rewiring [eg relays and direct source of power] as the newer Vansco-powered Alpines have amp limits on many circuits.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
As an avid off-roader I would check your particular owners manual for a part number and then do a search for a compatible LED replacement. They will easily be 3- 5X brighter at probably less than 1/3 the amp dwaw
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

My 2005 has Hella fog lights. Says so right on the lens.

The lens read
E1 37.5
04 44404 R8

I didn't find a lot searching for that, but that's what is on them.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

Thanks, at least I have a number that can be cross referenced.
Honestly, I haven’t removed mine yet. There might be a number on them.
I just got the coach back from paint yesterday. Saturday I will be working on the lights and a few other details.
Thanks for the reply
Dan
Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #7

My question is, are you talking about fog lights or the driving lights? The driving lights on my 2004 are round and mounted in the valance. I refer to them as driving lights because there is a switch on the console that turns them ON/OFF labeled "driving lights." Also, with the switch ON, the lights illuminate as soon as the engine starts. My understanding of fog lights, as well as my experience with them, is that they do not illuminate unless the headlights are also ON.

Now, it doesn't matter what you call those round lights in the valance, except that true fog lights have specific lens patterns and illumination that driving lights do not. Again, I'm not exactly sure to what your are referring by "fog lights."
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
My question is, are you talking about fog lights or the driving lights? The driving lights on my 2004 are round and mounted in the valance. I refer to them as driving lights because there is a switch on the console that turns them ON/OFF labeled "driving lights." Also, with the switch ON, the lights illuminate as soon as the engine starts. My understanding of fog lights, as well as my experience with them, is that they do not illuminate unless the headlights are also ON.

Now, it doesn't matter what you call those round lights in the valance, except that true fog lights have specific lens patterns and illumination that driving lights do not. Again, I'm not exactly sure to what your are referring by "fog lights."
The round lights down low, below the headlights. The rocker switch is on the side panel by the transmission selector.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
The round lights down low, below the headlights. The rocker switch is on the side panel by the transmission selector.
Okay, we're talking about the same thing. Just a matter of semantics, as far as I'm concerned, whether or not they're called "fog lights" or "driving lights." However, when asking for replacements it may make a difference because the type of light used for fog is constructed differently. As suggested, it's best to take one to the parts store and find a compatible replacement.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:

Quote:
Okay, we're talking about the same thing. Just a matter of semantics, as far as I'm concerned, whether or not they're called "fog lights" or "driving lights." However, when asking for replacements it may make a difference because the type of light used for fog is constructed differently. As suggested, it's best to take one to the parts store and find a compatible replacement.
I thought mine are "fog" lights based on the lens pattern, but now that I took pictures, these are most certainly a "driving" light as the switch indicates. My apologies for using the wrong terminology before.

If this helps, here are pics of front and back of the Hellas on my 2005.
It seems when I upload pics they get rotated left.

Edit:
Looking at rear picture, now I'm wondering if I'm missing some sort of grommet to keep weather out of where that wiring goes in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_122032.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	269361   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_122200.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	269362  

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #11

HELLA 500FF Driving Lamp. Comes as complete assembly. Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TWD5KU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #12

In case you are interested. Hella link: My Hella Lights :: HELLA 500FF Driving
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Location: Alaska and Texas 2006 Alpine 40' 4 slides Cummins 400hp
Hi low beam switch is where?

The driving lights, rocker switch by left elbow, are the only "high" beams? Or should you be able to keep them on with oncoming traffic? I had someone flash me to turn them off on a divided highway. I can't see a difference when pressing the left steering wheel light control. Looks like that just flashes the light to communicate come on over?
GwinsLodgeAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwinsLodgeAK View Post
The driving lights, rocker switch by left elbow, are the only "high" beams
No. The actual high beams afre controlled with the turn signal lever (pull) and should illuminate a blue indicator light on the dash when on.

Too many lights, whether driving, fog or low/high beams are improperly aimed, a situation made worse with the new crop of LEDs, etc. that ae VERY directional and of color temperature that can be very blinding to oncoming drivers.

Tags
light, lights