Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Four-corner coach weights?

Curious, when was the last time you had your coach weighed on all four corners--and what was the result?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

And, to make the results relevant, please also post what coach/floor plan you have.

Brett
2003 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

Weighed at Gaffney on 4/14 during annual maint.
LF: 6080
RF: 6280
LR: 7860
RR: 8000
LT: 4140
RT: 3820

I full time in a Phaeton n 42LH
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #4

Selah,

While your info is appreciated, this discussion of weights/ride heights is on a very different chassis-- the Peak chassis with 4 ride height valves.

So, likely "apples vs oranges".
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
OS, we are at Perry and have an appointment on Monday to get weighted, including the toad. Brett and I were discussing this post this afternoon and think it would be smart to start with a discussion of ride height measurement and adjustment. There has been prior discussion of the relationship to height adjustment and weights, however l have not seen a process written up, if no one has one, maybe this would a good place to start to document it so we can know we have relevant numbers?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
hax

Dean here is what I got:
LF 5420
RF 5200
LR 8280
RR 7990
Full Fuel, 1/2 full fresh water and empty holding tanks.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

Thanks Jim, looks to me like you are pretty well balanced across axles for a 30K lbs coach; though 16.2k rear axle seems a bit light for a 40FDTS???? I always get left and right mixed up but would tend to think your drive's side weights would be a bit heavier with the main living room slide and kitchen cabinets on that side.

The purpose for lauching this thread was to parallel a conversation I started with several of my Apline coach "gear-head" buddies about the relationship between air bag height and weight distribution, as measured at the four corners. For more years than I will admit to, my recall of any air bag height discussions has centered around: 1--proper bag function based on factory specs, eg, 9.5" for rear axle and 11 5/16" for the front; and 2--ensuring proper drive shaft angle/alignment.

I recently made some very curious observations on my 2003 40MDTS about how adjusting bag height can shift weight, again, as measured from the 4 corners. Pending receipt of my buddies' thoughts and ideas, I was curious to see how many past or current Alpine owners have/had their coaches 4-corner weighed, and if they found anything "unusual" about the distibution of weight at the corners, eg 1000 or more lbs on one side or corner vs another.

Not a scientific poll by any means but I wanted to collect some data points for my own understanding. I also wanted to raised interest among our group about getting their coaches weighed in this manner. It would also be helpful to know, in addition to any unusual weight distribution findings, whether these owners "coincidentally" experienced any chronic handling issues or unusual tire wear patterns, eg, outer or inner rib wear or "rivering"?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #8

Weighed by RVSEF at FMCA Rally in Pomona CA, April 2015:
LF 5650
RF 4600
LR 8625
RR 8900
Full fuel, 1/2 full water & waste tanks.

Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
mbweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

MB--almost 1000 lbs more weight on the LF tire--or about 20% of total front axle weight. No handing issues or unusual tire wear?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
The weight on the left tire is probably from the 42 gallon propane tank which is located on the left side behind the left front tire. The main slide is also located on the Drivers side. That may be one reason for the difference in from drivers and passenger side. I have the same weight difference on my 2001, 38ft Alpine. I have never had a problem with handling with our Alpine. :thumbup:
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

OS - I was also surprised at the 1000 lbs left-right disparity, but the RVSEF tech didn't consider it unusual, and simply advised to inflate the tires on each axle to the appropriate pressure for the heavier side. I don't see any unusual tire wear, and it handles well, like the Beemer Coach it was designed to be. Another Alpiner at Desert Rat explained to me how he adjusted the diagonally opposite airbags to push those wheels down so that they carry more weight, and in so doing he got the left-to-right weight distribution to within a few pounds of each other. It required a Saturday afternoon with access to a closed truck scale: weigh all 4; weigh one side; subtract 2 from 4; adjust air bag height; repeat several times. And Brett has also told me about the importance of ride height for the drive axle. So some day I should take heed and do it!
Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
mbweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Michael--great input, appreicate your effort with helping me to better understand what is going on with air bags and the Alpine "fleet". By the way, I am not a math major [duh], the 1000 lbs dif on your front axle was 10%, not 20% as I suggested. The idea of adjusting tire pressure to accommodate be weight difs at the corners is a new one, to me. Depending on the amount of adjustment needed, my TPMS would be challenged to keep up--I think.
Dave--agree with you assessment of the slide and propane tank adding weight. I have been thinking about a return trip to the Pilot scales for a re-weigh [$10 first weigh, $2 re-weighs]. Want to see if distribution has changed since my initial balancing effort. Also curious to see if the "dead" weight [air bags deflated] is different--after my last air bag adjustment, the total left to right dif for my coach was about 240 lbs, on drivers side.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Curious, when was the last time you had your coach weighed on all four corners--and what was the result?
Old Scout
My coach weighs 21,760# with ALL 5 tanks full, everything we normally carry when we travel, and both my wife and I in our seats...(RF 3,210#, LF 3,800#, RR 7,150#, LR 7,600).

However, as you can imagine, the total weight of my coach can be, (and usually is), between 1,000 and 3,000# less than that 21,760# total..... depending upon how full, (or empty), the fuel, propane, fresh water and waste tanks.

BTW although I understand your curiosity about what the 4 corner weights of other coaches might be... the weight of any other coach has nothing do do with the 4 corner weights of your RV.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #14

Thanks Mel--my curiosity is driven by the relationship between bag heights and weight distribution and the potential impact on handling and front tire wear. My interest is purely proportional between axle sides and on the diagonal, and only with regard to Alpine coaches at this point. With regard to HAX, I know Jim well and was teasing him that despite having similar coaches, mine is heavier--must be what's in the basement [smile]......
New Braunfels, Texas

Tags
weight