Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Leak

I have a water leak, about 1 or 2 gallons every couple of days on my 36' 99 MDS Alpine,around the dump valve that's opened using the pull handle in the drivers side bay, on the left wall.Not sure if it's the valve or where the pipe comes out of the fresh water tank.Has anyone had this issue and if so can this area be accessed from below the rig or do you have to remove panels under the rig to get to it.

Thanks much
Ramblinpete
Ramblinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Your valve is located inside so you will have to open the walls, they are screwed in most likely with square head screws.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Get to it via the basement front wall removable panel; at least in a 2005.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Fresh Water Tank Leak

Pete, you need to hear from someone with a 36' 1999 to be sure how to access the valve.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
See my thread recently on the same type of deal. Mine was at one of the drain valves on the pressure side (after the pump).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dewi...ak-282063.html
Old 03-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

I have a 2004, might be the same? That pull handle is a cable that leads to a valve that is located at the front of the fresh water tank. It is used to drain the fresh water tank. If you look inside the most forward basement on the curb side (in my unit) there is wall that you can see around to the forward side and see the valve. Mine leaked only after pulling the handle and then closing it. The valve looks the same as the gray water dump valve. The problem I found was the valve and pipe was assembled and then glued into the tank. My solution was to turn a piece of plastic rod to fit into the drain hose and add a hose clamp. It is replaceable but most likely a 6 hr. job. Cut, replace and glue the assembly back in place.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #7

Dan, sounds like a good quick fix.My drain valve is located on the front wall of the bay behind the LPG tank bay on the drivers side of the rig.I'll take a look and see if I can get to it.Maybe the valve just didn't close all the way.I've had this rig for about 2 years and the only time I flushed the tank was before we left for WinterBlast in Havasu last month or so.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:15 AM   #8

On my 01 the backside of the fill valve has loosened a couple of times resulting in fresh water leak. To find it opened the panel where you pull out the dump outlet and used a light and mirror to find the leak. did not pull the panel out and it cannot be accessed from underneath. Then tightened the back side of the compression nut on the inlet valve which was not easy and had to do it by feel. I felt like a contortionist doing this fix
Old 03-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinpete View Post
Dan, sounds like a good quick fix.My drain valve is located on the front wall of the bay behind the LPG tank bay on the drivers side of the rig.I'll take a look and see if I can get to it.Maybe the valve just didn't close all the way.I've had this rig for about 2 years and the only time I flushed the tank was before we left for WSounds likeinterBlast in Havasu last month or so.
Sounds like we're on the same page. Mine didn't leak until I pulled it for the first time since new. (About 8 years)
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

Interesting--the dump valve on my 03 is a slide-style activated by a cable. Like the gray and black water slide valves, the gasket sealing the slide can de-form and leak. The pull cable is attached to the slide with a set screw--that screw can get loose also, not allowing the slide to close all the way. My valve was screwed into the tank via a short plastic nipple, only the threaded mating surface was "spun" into the tank, so valve can be removed for inspection/repair, at least on my 03 it is.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Sounds like we're on the same page. Mine didn't leak until I pulled it for the first time since new. (About 8 years)
Dan, had my wife crawl under the rig where the LPG tank is, I opened the flush valve, and a little water came out, the tank is empty.I opened and closed the valve a few times and she also measured the pvc tube id at 1.5", next time I go over to Morgan Hill 1000 Trails I'll add water and see if it still leaks,if it does I'll make a plug the same as you did.Really appreciate your input on this matter,Pete.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #12

If in remember our 99 tank layout, we had a carpet covered plywood panel at the aft end of the water tank, between the rails, in the storage bay. Remove this panel. It is a void under the tank. This should give you access to scoot under the tank to get physical access to the tank drain valve that is near the front, bottom of the tank. You should be able to visually see or feel where water is leaking.
You can get to the top of the tank, if needed, by lowering the empty tank at the all thread rods that support the tank and floor.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I had a leak on my 04. As mentioned above there is a carpeted panel in the basement you remove to access it. Mine was screwed into the tank and was leaking there as well as through the valve. I could not find a cable valve so I bought one with a T handle and swapped parts. Also changed the nipple. There is a recessed area around the threads in my tank that look like a gasket recess - like maybe that was straight threads with a gasket seal originally. I replaced with standard taper threads and doped it good. No leaks in 2 years.
That valve has 4 screws holding it together. If you don't want to mess with the threaded fittings you can take those 4 screws out and swap all the guts from another valve. You can also eliminate the cable pull if you are willing to climb in and pull a T handle to drain it.
The cable pull is adjustable so you might check to make sure the valve is closing all the way.

I got a little claustrophobic laying under the tank working on that - hope I don't have to fool with it again.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #14

I have a similar problem with mine when I want to sanitize my tank. Mine wouldn't close completely the last time I pushed to attempt to close it. I tried lubricants on the cable & the slide but it still leaked. So I had my wife pushing on the handle & I was tapping on the valve & we persuaded it to close completely.

Ralph 2005 Alpine 40FDQS

Thanks

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water