Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Front Air Bag Question

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out? I could not remember from my first alpine coach if it did what I am going to describe. I recently noticed when I stop and turn of the coach my front air bags drain. They are full when the coach is running. Does someone know if they put a kneeling feature on the 2000 alpine coach? If not what should I get looked
at?

Thanks
Matt
mattinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

You probably have a split in one of your bags, like I recently had. Or it could be a leak at the dump valve or the leveling valves or in the line somewhere. The compressor can keep up with a minor leak so you won't notice it while traveling. If you don't mind getting dirty you can crawl underneath and spray the bags with soapy water. I found the split on mine by raising the front using the jacks which exposed the top of the bag where the split was. The bags cost less than $200 so it is not expensive to fix. If the valves are leaking you should be able to hear a hiss.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The air is coming out the valve mounted on the inner wheel well. I can put my finger on it and feel the air release. What was confusing is that it does it on both sides not just one. Is there a way to see if the valve is stuck? Or put something on it to release it?

Matt
Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #4

That is the leveling valve. There is a short rubber hose at the top and this is the vent hose which will leak air if the ride height is too high. It should stop venting once the coach has settled to its correct ride height. Are you parked on a slope? This can confuse it sometimes. Check if it does this on a perfectly level site. If it keeps venting until all the air is gone then I think you have a defective valve, although for both to go at the same time seems odd.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Ok I called HWH and they told me that the chassis company is the one who makes the ride leveling valve. The coach rides level when running do i need to be worried about it? If so where can I get a couple of valves?
Matt
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #6

They are probably Haldex as they seem to be standard on the Neway air suspension, but that is a guess. You really need to get a number off the valve if possible. Some have a built in delay and I don't know if these do or not. Maybe someone else on the forum has changed one and can tell you. Doesn't sound an urgent problem if the pressure is holding while you are driving.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #7

Not sure I am adding to the conversation but having both valves "go out" at the same time seems a bit coincidental. I'd go ahead and check for leaks in/around the bags anyway but both leveling valves [one each bag] or the front dump valve(s) appear to be leaking. The leveling valves are mechanically actuated, the dump valve(s) is electric--driven by the HWH jack system. A small leak from any of the valves suggest a stuck or partically clogged valve. A larger flow from the dump valve(s) [without activating the dump on the HWH] suggests an open valve--something electrical in/leading to the valve(s). If my 2003 explanation doesnt apply to 2000s, I apologize in advance.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #8

Hi Matt,

If you can send me your email address I'll send you the ride height adjustment settings for a 2000 alpine.

Tom

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Matt - First and foremost, you need to drive the coach up on some 4 inch boards before working underneath especially if the front end is dumping all the air out of the bags.

Second - IF I REMEMBER HOW THE UNDERCARRIAGE LOOKS WHEN AIR BAGS ARE FULL - the POTENTIAL to LOSE AN ARM IS HUGE - If you don't feel comfortable working under the coach, take it someplace where the appropriate lifting devices and jack stands can be employed so no one is hurt.

If you are under the unit, with the bags full, and they suddenly lose air, you can be hurt or killed by the motorhome crushing you to death. Please, please, make sure you are aware of the safety issues before going under the coach with a faulty air bag system.

Its bad enough WRV went out of business, It would be terrible if one of our owners get hurt by the thing because of a faulty part or some screw up on WRV's part. Please make sure you know what you are doing and take all the safely measures possible. We only have one life.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #10

Matt, if you are still looking for the height control valve this is the info for my coach which may or may not help. The front axle is a Neway AS-120. The control valve is a Haldex 90054007. This is a common part and can be got at most truck parts suppliers.