Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Front Fenderwell Brackets?

One of my least favorite things about my 03 Alpine is the way WRV finished off the front fenderwells. The fiberglass fenders are glued [apoxied] to the inter-fender well brackets. Not sure what they actually used to adhere steel to fiberglass but it is subject to failure over time. With a mid-door, I have twice the brackets to worry about.
I've cleaned and roughed up the inside of the fiberglass fenders and ground off the metal bracket surfaces. So what do you recommend to "reglue" the fenders to the brackets--epoxy, JB Weld, fiberglass resin and cloth, etc??
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
OS ... I think you're talking about the way the fender is held to the frame via a bracket in front of the driver's front wheel. I discussed this issue along time ago (2010) when mine came loose and literally flew up while driving on I70. There's a virtual "air dam" in front of the driver's front wheel and on the passenger side for mid-door models like yours. EVERYONE should check & monitor their fenders regularly (in my humble opinion)!

As for the fix .... I had the body shop that fixed it "beef it up" by adding multiple layers of fiberglass strips across the bracket in a similar manner as was originally performed. I just talked to another Alpine owner who discovered his fender being loose and had it fixed using the same method.

I've even seen an owner use a screw with washer holding the fender to the bracket. Obviously, the screw head & washer is visible on the outside of the fender but atleast it holds!? I would personally prefer the multiple layers of fiberglass.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I used the multiple layer and epoxy approach on our coach, I had caught the fender on a high mound of dirt during a turn, I thought I was going miss it😰.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dean, I've used fiberglass ( 2-part) epoxy with and without the mesh on my rear bumper, spoiler and some side panels over the past 10 years. It has all held up; metal to metal, fiberglass to metal and fiberglass to fiberglass. Usually messy and watch not to get any on painted surfaces. I know you can do it...good luck!
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Thanks Matt--I've done some minor apoxy work over the years including redoing one or more of these brackets. Guess I was "fishing" to see if there were any new, "space-age" bonding materials that would engage at the molecular level [sorry] to make this fix more permanent. Seems the basic apoxy solution eventually separates from the fiberglass. Frankly, the last time I "fixed" these brackets, I drilled some small holes on the edge of the fender and used re-bar tie wire to hold the bond while the apoxy cured. I ended up leaving the wire on for 4-5 years--not too obvious and it worked. [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Old a Scout, when I did my epoxy rework first I cleaned the fiberglass with a wire wheel on my drill then applied the epoxy, there Is a lot of dirt buildup inside the wheel well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Ken L

Old Scout, I was having some cracking issues with my drivers side front fender panel. That area is a giant air dam for sure. I didn't like the way the bottom corner was not supported so added a strap from a piece of 1/8"x1-1/2" flat aluminum strap that corrected the issue. Bolted at the top and Pop Riveted at the bottom, no more shaking so no more cracking. This has been in place several years and is working fine and invisible from the outside of the coach. Picture to show brace. Also if you haven't upgraded your Steering Gear support you might check on that. Mine was seriously cracked so I fashioned a heavy duty addition to it that I am proud of. Picture shows finished installation. Ken
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #8

Ken L.

I don't see the pictures, I'll try again. Ken
Guess I don't know how to do his?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3106.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	89265   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3103.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	89266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3111.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	89267  
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

WOW--the 2003 and earlier coaches are not known for metal fatigue in and around the steering knuckle.....Guess that under the right conditions, any metal fabrication can fail/fatigue.....nice solution.
New Braunfels, Texas