Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Front Television Replacement

Has anyone replaced the front Sharp Aquos LCD TV in their coach? Will the factory bracket accomodate a different set? I've had enough difficulty with the OEM two-piece tv that I'm ready to toss it and replace it with something else, but it would certainly simplify things if the existing bracket can be used in some manner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
My 07 had a Hyundai with no speakers attached to a piece of 1 " plywood itself attached to two steel brackets that hung from the ceiling. The left side cabinet opened far enough for the knob to hit the screen. It did so and cracked it. I could not find another Hyundai and they wanted $1500 to repair. I found a Sharp at Costco for $500 that was the right width but taller because of built in speakers. I used two pieces of 1" aluminum square tube to interface to the brackets. It appears most tvs have different spacing of the attachment holes. I still have to make a panel to cover the bottom but it works well. My guess is that WRV used many different brands and just drilled the plywood to match. You don't describe your bracket but you will probably have to design your own interface. What is wrong with the Sharp you have and what is a two-piece tv?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorta like looking at a electrical plug in a wall.
You can't always identify what kind of socket it is until you remove the plug.
Some brackets are universal, others are not.
Continue to think positive.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have the same Sharp set. It is in two pieces with the tuner/receiver mounted behind the monitor.......kind of a goofy setup. All part of WRV lore.
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Coleman View Post
Has anyone replaced the front Sharp Aquos LCD TV in their coach? Will the factory bracket accomodate a different set? I've had enough difficulty with the OEM two-piece tv that I'm ready to toss it and replace it with something else, but it would certainly simplify things if the existing bracket can be used in some manner.
Presumably you didn't literally mean "toss it" if it is still functional. I realize used electronics have very little garage sale value but before tossing it, try www.freecycle.org It is a nonprofit that runs local websites/listings for people to dispose of unwanted items (any kind) to others who have a need but may not be able to afford something. The only requirement is that the item must be "free". The goal, of course, is to reduce consumer waste and keep landfills from filling up so fast. One man's trash is another man's treasure. . .
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #6

TV Replacement

Rick, I replaced one of the very large std TV's, 27" I think, with a 32" Sharp LC-SB24U LCD. It is a complete TV, monitor, tuner & speakers. It fit like a glove width wise which was my major concern. The bracket that I had for the old TV was a very large & heavy metal frame that WRV mounted in the opening and set the TV in it. I took that frame and cut it down so that I could set the new TV into it. Worked out extremely well. I do not know if this helps you or not. Keep in mind that my original TV probably weighed about 130# where as the new one only weighs app 18#. For obvious reasons it would not take to much of a frame to create for the new TV if the old one does not work out. I had no clue when I removed the old TV as to how I was going to mount the new one but I had had visions of the old monstrosity letting go and falling on me. That was a great motivator. I have all of the specs etc. on the new TV but I would measure your opening as I would not count on both of ours being identical. You have a monitor with no tuner so you possibly could have a different width.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote