Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #1

Front Window-Covering Options

My wife hates the front curtains that came with the coach. We are looking for an innovative alternate solution. We know about the MCD shades, which we'd love, but we are not ready to bear that expense. We're looking for something that looks somewhat decorative, yet affords privacy in the evening. Any innovators?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

We have MCD throughout the coach - Except the front window.
Why? Holly wanted to be able to open half the window and block sun on the other half, which can't be done with MCDs.
To us it's all about letting light in and Seeing the great outdoors - which many RVs with small windows seem like you are in a cave. That's what is great about Alpines, lots of big windows to see the world.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

I have the Apex with the powered shade in the front window. That lasted a few months, now it is inoperative and I am looking for cost effective solutions, thus, will be following the suggestions of this thread. I would like a powered option, since that was very convenient when it worked! Also, has anyone with an Apex repaired/replaced the motor? Seems difficult and time consuming to get out and back in.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Before you go tearing out the shades and or motor, check to see if the switch is bad. When mine quit it turned out to be a bad switch. A new switch fixed the problem.
Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
All - We have the motorized wrap around shade which many have complained about and had trouble with. My solution is to spray 3M-Dry Silicone Spray (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=657B00G HBDgs4JS4WF0WC6glMQQ1J7G3R9bl) on each gear group about every 6 months, this keeps is nice and slippery. Next, we always make sure it's snapped up when we travel, so it does not experience any shaking. Third, I check the screws which hold it up, to ensure it's always secured to the ceiling. And I will do whatever it takes to keep this thing alive, as its one of the best things about the mid door coach we have.

Check for a fuse someplace, and check the connections on the switch, since WRV electrical QA was worthless. Also try spraying the above joints with the lubricant I mentioned (see link above)(I also clean the hydraulic Jacks with it before I store them, no trouble with them since we owned the coach). It must be the "dry silicone type" because any oil based sprays would cause the gears to rot and then it would be worthless.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

Our front shade is having difficulties now. The motor sounds rather jerky and most likely could use a lube. The part of the front shade on the drivers side front window is sagging down while the rest of the shade is all the way up. Can you explain how to access the motor to lube it and also how to adjust the left side of the shade so it retracts at the same rate and level as the rest of the shade?

Thank you!
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
We're looking for something that looks somewhat decorative, yet affords privacy in the evening. Any innovators?
A few years ago we had the curtains that came with the coach lined with blackout material. They are a little heavier and stiffer now, but they block the light and heat from coming in the front window in the daytime, and give us more privacy at night. At this point I wouldn't consider putting the MCD blinds in the front, and this is coming from a guy who has them and loves them in the rest of the coach.

I do have the MCD outside sunshades for the times when I want to open the front drapes and still keep some privacy in the daytime and cut some of the heat and glare coming in. They don't get a lot of use unless I will be camped for a while and have a worthwhile view out the front.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The sagging side might be a cord that came loose or has broken and the jerky motor could be the switch is going bad. My motor sounded the same way and in my case replacing the switch fixed the problem.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #9

I have the the power shades which I rarely use. I used a local Auto/RV upholstery shop to make sun shades for the front windows and tire covers all with snaps. I had him make the window shades with snaps on the inside. As you can see in the pictures it blocks the sun and yet I can see out great. These don't work for night, so I have night shade I pull across. Since I have a mid door he made the whole shade in one piece, so when I it store, I can use roll it up on the floor for small easy storage in a closet. IF you have a front door coach, you would have 3 sections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	061.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	55815   Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	55816  

kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you. Rusty Bear, you may be on to something. I do notice there is a "sweet spot" on the switch where it will run the motor. I'll examine the string situation. Would I just pull the string until it's level and then tie a knot in it? I found the snaps and used them to snap it up in the stowed position for right now.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Janet
From what you are describing, I think your switch is bad. You can replace it easily enough. I was only able to find a black switch, but it works just fine, no more jerking or hesitating when I depress the switch. Just mark all the wires as you remove them from the old switch and put them on the new switch in the same place. As far as the string, I would put the shade all the way down and see if you can see where it is connected or maybe disconnected. If you put a knot in it ,it may prevent the shade from going all the way to the dash when you want the shade down.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, here is what I do to keep the front shade working. Monthly, I spray each gear set (there are 4 gear sets, one in each corner and two in the middle close together) with some 3M Dry Silicone Lubricant #08897, which you can order from NAPA. I have used the curtain extensively, and it has always worked fine. I also made sure that the sun visor type curtains which have switches to raise and lower them are all tight in the celling, so the curtain does not catch on them. Tighten the screws/nuts for each curtain as well, we had one come down while driving. The dry silicon lube keeps the gear sets lubed, but does not put oil on them to clog them up. There are strings woven through the curtain that go from top to bottom, at the bottom of those strings are some kind of pinch closure so the string holds its position, to adjust that it would seem that you hold the pinch closure and pull the string more so it raises up the curtain, however, my curtain is pleated just like our blinds, yours looks un-pleated, so it could be different. I will be in Yuma, AZ for most of the month of March so if you are close give me a PM and we can hookup so I can look yours over.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

My surround blind failed in the first year or so, so I kept it in storage the last several years. I have started to see if I could fix it and make it operable again. Unless it you have removed the blind, it may be difficult to know what causes yours to sag, Janet. Mine jammed and would not come down on one side.
When up, the cords wind up on a small spool. One cord when a little bit loose, jumped off the spool onto the drive shaft and then the next loose loop crossed over, creating a snag (like fishing line coming off your reel). Then the shade does not respond evenly. A possible second issue I may have, is the drive shaft rods, a 3/16" square shafts. They are plugged into the motor and gears. There seemed to be a little bit of sloop in the length going into the motor. The edges of the square are slightly ground off, and it seemed maybe this one shaft was possibly not engaging in the motor drive. The motor is what is called a tubular motor, probably used in a lot of blind applications. Mine was not labeled with a manufacture. Also in line is a limit switch. At the end sections, you have a spring wrapped around the shaft, maybe 6" or so, hooked at both ends. I believe it may increase the tension to assist in bringing the blind up.
To remove the motor, with shade removed, pull the pin and remove the gear. Unscrew the end part, cut the wires, and the motor will slide out.
Carefree of Colorado told me that the had made 7 of these surround blinds for WRV. Suggested maybe others had been possibly made by MCD. C of C has no parts, the design engr is long gone. They consider them all as prototypes.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #14

Surround shade pictures.

motor in center section

cord spool and limit switch

spring on drive shaft at end section

a short piece of drive shaft is laying across first 2 images.

I'm hoping these photos will come up directly on the post, but looks like they will have to be attachments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5558a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	55975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5559a.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	55976  

Name:	IMG_5561a.jpg