Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Front Window Seal Issue

Hello all,
Wondering if anyone has had a problem with the front windshield coming loose on the driver side. I have a 1/4 inch gap from top of window seal to coach frame. What is my best course of action to fix it.

I can not tell if it popped out due to the coach being kinked or if it just has been working its way loose.

Thanks
Matt
mattinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Matt,

Does your coach have a "glued" in window or ones with rubber gaskets?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

Matt,
Do you have the urethane set windows or the Rubber Gasket type. I ask because WRV change window types in the late 2000 units and on.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
It looks like a rubber seal along with some type of black tar looking stuff...It looks like the seal seeds around the fiberglass frame by compression. Someone must of applied some extra adhesive to hold in the window.

Matt
Old 10-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Matt,

We have the same problem with our passenger window top right corner. The rubber gasket has pulled away from the cap frame, leaving a gap for air and RAIN!!!

We had our drivers window replaced a few years ago and the installer said that that the gasket was never glued to the cap.

I have talked to the glass shop and they believe that they can take the window out, re-glue the rubber gasket and put the window back in.

I'm hoping they don't drop the window
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
All, we had this happen on our passenger side windshield, however, ours was the urethane type window. A-1 Coach Glass in Eugene, OR is my recommended site for repair.

They want the coach to set up for 24 hours before you move it, so they let me stay in the coach while it was curing up. For the gasket type windows, they still want the coach to sit I think for about 12 hours and again would let you wait. They provided me with one quote, and after it was finished, it was less, so I got another discount.

Go to this link or call them, ask them for the installer shop in the same building. They did a 1st Class Job for me, and they are my goto place for glass issues period.

RV & Bus windshield distributor Eugene Oregon, Best Price Auto Glass Products
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
How much did it cost? Did you have them do both sides? Mine looks like it could be reset on both sides.

Also do you think I am OK driving it from MT to Eugene? I just drove 2000 miles but just noticed it. I think it will be OK but thought I would ask others.

We will be spending a few weeks in Eugene in NOV.

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Lets see - the Place in Chehalis charged right under 300 to remove and reinstall the passengers side window. The glass shop in Eugune charged 915 for the installation and new glass window. I am way more pleased with the eugene shop than the chehalis shop, not that they did not do a good job, it's just the eugene shop did a better job. Also of note, every since we had the coach, water would leak inside the drivers window when it was raining. Now that leak has been stopped with the new installation. The dealer thought it was the front lights, it was really the window leaking like I thought all along. This is not to say the front clearance lights don't/did not leak, they were not causing the leak into the inside of the coach.

I belive you can drive from MT to Eugune just fine. I put duck tape around my window to preclude it from falling out, but after watching all the cutting the shop had to do to remove it, I wasted my money doing that. Just drive reasonable and it should be fine.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We just had our windshields replaced. One was loose and leaked the other cracked while doing jack acrobatics while leveling, including the use of logs and boulders. Stupid, I know.

The leaking part was caused by poor initial installation. When glueing in, the bead should start at one side and flow continuously over the top, down the far side, around the bottom and back to the starting point. WRV started at the top center and had two jinks that left very obvious gaps in the bead. They were in too much of a hurry. Little wonder it leaked.

In their defense, the decorative "smoothing" of the mastic around the edges was done very well. Very pretty, but not very practical. Hmmm, I've heard that somewhere else before.

Thanks to Ken for recalling an earlier post recommending Universal Auto in Anaheim, CA (714) 449-0449. They did a great job, at my place and were $200 cheaper per side/piece. Thanks also to Progressive for covering the lower price.