Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #1

Fuel Filters

Hello,
I seem to be one of a few...
I own a 05 Avalanche. I purchased from the second owner who has owned the coach 15 years. From what I have read, it has gone through all of the recalls and had everything fixed that was a major issue on these from new.
Ive got the 400ISL and have problems with it "bucking" under acceleration. I have changed one fuel filter, but Cummins seems to think it should have 2. Does anyone know where the second filter would be? The one I know of is along the frame rail right above the starter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don’t k ow for sure as I don’t have this model coach. However, generally they do have two filters (one is a water separator) and they are usually right next to each other. Fuel/water separator would be closest to the tank (first in line), and have a drain on the bottom of it. They’ll be close to the same physical size as well.

You may also have an algae issue. Black sludge in the tank. Did you happen to dump out the jelly from the filter you changed? How did it look? How old is your fuel and have you been through a bit of it recently?

I looked at the brochure and it shows a service area that’s supposed to house the filters and it appears to be along the frame rail, so you’re looking in the right spot.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
On the Alpine Coaches the other water separator fuel filter is located at the rear curb side compartment door where you check engine oil, trans, & air cleaner. I would think that should be the same on an Avalanche model, hopefully. [emoji848]
Old 09-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
On the Alpine Coaches the other water separator fuel filter is located at the rear curb side compartment door where you check engine oil, trans, & air cleaner. I would think that should be the same on an Avalanche model, hopefully. [emoji848]
You referred to the "other" filter water/separator... On my Alpine 2000 40 FDS Limited, it is located inside passenger side rear compartment.
I have changed that one, easy to get to.

Can you tell me where the main Fuel Filter is located? If there is one? I need to find and replace that one. Thanks, Will
New Guy Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #5

Fuel filter

On my 2000 36FDS, the fuel filter is in the right rear compartment and on the driver side there is an oil filter and water filter on the engine. There is no other fuel filter on either side of the engine.
Funbus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbus2000 View Post
On my 2000 36FDS, the fuel filter is in the right rear compartment and on the driver side there is an oil filter and water filter on the engine. There is no other fuel filter on either side of the engine.
Driver side or passenger side (Curb side or street side)??
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #7

Right side= passenger's side rear most basement door.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #8

To the OP,

Yes, you should have two fuel filters with your year engine, and you have been given the location of the water separator/filter in the rear compartment. The ISL in Alpines, prior to 2004 builds with the common rail fuel injection, typically had only one filter located in the rear compartment. Later engines were fitted with two and you have replaced the one on the engine itself.

Let us know the results after changing out the second filter, as your symptoms are consistent with a blocked/restricted fuel flow.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #9

On my 1998 36FDS the fuel/water separator is in the curb side rear compartment along with the air filter, engine oil and transmission dipsticks.

There is another spin on fuel filter (Napa #3358) located high on the curb side of the engine above the starter.

In an earlier thread about fuel filters Brett Wolfe identified the 3358 as a 10 micron filter and suggested that a 5 micron filter should be used.

The local Napa store is unable to find a 5 micron filter in the same size, shape, etc. as the 3358.

Any of you folks have a brand and part number for a 5 micron filter that will work in this application.

Mounted to the engine block below the filter is an in-line hand pump with a white plastic plunger. Is this a common feature on other Cummins/Alpine engines? I have never seen any reference to the pump on this Alpine forum.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post

In an earlier thread about fuel filters Brett Wolfe identified the 3358 as a 10 micron filter and suggested that a 5 micron filter should be used.

Different years/ different fuel injection systems called for different filtration (micron size).

Best advice is to call Cummins with your engine serial number and find out the correct one for your engine.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #11

Mine has Two, water separator in the back curb side access, sub micron on the curb side of the motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	604C222E-BBC4-46FC-A1CD-7E3F731184C3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	343847   Click image for larger version

Name:	B34AFA07-E634-48D1-A998-19DB9A6CBDA3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	343848  

Rod Fosback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags