Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Fuel Gage Inop

I have a 40' and the fuel gage is reading empty all the time. Any trouble shooting ideas? Is there a fuse and if so where is it? Where is the sending unit located?
djdobbins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

Sending unit is visible in a window cut into the frame rail just aft of the LF tire. Sending unit uses a standard 35-240 ohm rheostat type float arm in the tank. You can search on "sending unit" and find the generic part replacement type available on Amazon & discussions of install issues.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I obtained a new fuel level sending unit from Transfer Flow in California and installed it today. Fuel gage still reads empty, even though I know it has half a tank. Any other trouble shooting ideas?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

The sending unit should read 35ohms at one end (full or empty, I don't recall which) and 240ohms the other extreme. I'd tone it at the sender to make sure the new one is reading OK, then tone it at the back of the gauge. If it tones good at both, its the gauge.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Check to make sure the tank is well grounded. It should have its own ground wire.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

EM--I tried a DIY on this issue a few years ago and got caught up in which direction the senor was reading--eg, I found a 35 to 240 ohm tank sensor but it turned out the ranges were reversed such that full read empty and vice versa. Also recall that many of the "stock"' sensors are designed to hang from the top of the tank, not the side as it is with our Alpines.
Perhaps the float arm could have been "rearranged" to work on the side position but I gave up and returned the sensor.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Scout- two separate 05 owners replaced sensors with a generic a while back & they read perfectly but backwards, empty when full & full when empty. Swapping the sender wires fixes the problem & Gauge becomes right reading.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Gosh--never thought of switching the wires--still had the issue of float arm position [I think] for the sensor I found. Fortunately, my issue with the gauge was a modest inaccuracy while measuring the the top half of the tank--not a dead gauge. Learn some-thin everyday......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

Most folks are using this aftermarket 4" to 27" sender by Moeller, sold on AMZN, or google: Moeller part# 35725-10. Currently $23 @ AMZN w/free shipping over $25, gasket included in that part# so you don't need to order a separate one.
The float arm is 2 piece w/a keeper that you set for the correct depth (I'd use some SS safety wire for piece of mind IIWM). I've looked at the head and think you could reassemble the gizmo for correct reading, but its probably easier to make up short pigtails to change "gender" on the wiring and simply insert w/float arm set to correct length & go for it.

One OEM wire has (at least on 05/06's that I've messed with) a ring terminal to connect to sender's center stud & the other a female spade. So make a 2" male spade to ring pigtail, and a 2" ring to female spade, di-electric grease & shrink tube the connections for safety & reliability, and the generic sender should read correctly.

My OEM setup is not neatly proportional for tank level. It hangs out in mid range for the longest time. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket gauge would be about the same.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Gosh--never thought of switching the wires--still had the issue of float arm position [I think] for the sensor I found. Fortunately, my issue with the gauge was a modest inaccuracy while measuring the the top half of the tank--not a dead gauge. Learn some-thin everyday......
Amen! This forum has been the best tutor for self educating myself on my coach and there are a host of folks on this site a person can learn from and they know who they are. I thank them all.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #11

You may want to look back at this old thread.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
The new sending unit is reading 28 and 260 ohms and each end of the travel, so I know it is working properly. I am reading 160 ohms as installed now and I know I have a little over a half tank. I disconnected the connector at the back of the gage and there are four white wires and the black ground. This gage has battery voltage, oil pressure, fuel level and engine temperature. I don't read 160 ohms across any of the four white wires and the black ground, so I think there may be a wiring problem between the sending unit and the connector to the back of the gage. Of course the wires are buried in a wire loom. Any ideas on where to go from here?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #13

You should be able to eliminate at least one wire by checking for 12v when you turn the ignition on. The other 3 should all have resistance to ground and if they were working you should be able to get readings on 2 more wires leaving you with the one that goes to the fuel sender. BTW do you have a ground wire from the sending unit going to the chassis or are you using the tank to provide ground? If so add the wire and see if that helps.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #14

Forget most of what I said above. I think you probably have the Medallion instrument which has a 5 wire connector. This does not connect directly to the senders but via a data concentrator. The only info I can find is for their marine instrument but may be worth your looking at their diagnostic guide on this site.

Tags
fuel