Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Fuel Gauge

RE: 2004/05 WRV, Alpine Coach.

Our mechanic in Oxnard, CA, requested us to find out if anyone could let us know where we can get the electrical wiring diagram or any other diagram to fix the fuel gauge. The gauge moves back and forth in a constant motion and will not set to display the actual level of the fuel. He thinks because of the constant movement back and forth this may be an electrical problem without having to look at the sending unit near the fuel tank.
rrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

Have him check the ground wire at the sending unit. If it is loose or corroded it can cause the problem that you have described.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I don't think there is a "wiring diagram" exactly as the Actia gauges are digitally controlled. As RVPioneer said he should probably check the sending unit. The sweeping motion of the gauge needle is the proper self diagnostic that is done once every time on start up (unless it has been turned off in the setup program). The gauge set is looking for somewhere between 30 ohms empty and 240 ohms full from the fuel gage sending unit. If it is out of that range you could get the never ending sweeping routine. The sender can be checked at the wire terminals in the wheel well or if you know how there is a diagnostic mode you can use on the gauge display. Failure of the sending unit seems to be fairly common.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mechanics 101, always look at the fuel sender first. A multimeter and ten minutes will save you a lot of frustration. Fuel sender should be 0-90 ohms resistance depending on fuel level. Grounding the sender wire should send the gauge to zero...or full depending on how it's manufactured. A half tank of fuel should be somewhere in the 45 ohm ballpark. Fuel sender is easy to access on Alpines. Yes, check that ground wire first.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #5

Thank you.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
So, where is that fuel sender located?
Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Fuel sender is on the drivers side of fuel tank. Turn the wheels all the way to the right for access.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Fuel Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
So, where is that fuel sender located?
Thanks

Be aware, our 2005 FDTS has a 100 gallon tank, it was manufactured 9/04. And yes, the sender is accessible from the front, drivers side wheel well.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #9

rrbeck,

Just curious if you've made any progress with your fuel gauge problem??

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your input. The fuel sender was replaced without having to drop the tank. The needle on the gauge is positioned at 3/4 full which is where it should be. Time will tell as we are on the road that it will adjust! Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #11

My fuel gauge (even with a top off at the pump) never shows more than 3/4.
So naturally I don't trust it at the other end of the gauge either.
Is that an "it's 20 years old, deal with it" issue or can things be fixed/replaced?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #12

Fuel Gauge

Our fuel gauge reads full when full and 3/4 when at half tank, is there an adjustment that anyone knows of?

Rod

2005 36 FDDS
2016 F150 Cuper Crew toad
Rod Fosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #13

I usually fill up when I take a break from driving.....like every 3 or 4 hours.

I can't trust the gauge. If I'm really worried that the tank got too low I will turn on the generator. If it stays running I know I have over 1/4 tank. That's pretty pathetic.

I wish there was a simple fix.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
We fill up about every 500 miles. Usually took 55 gallons or so near the 3/4 tank mark.
When I did the FASS fuel pump upgrade the tank was physically at about 1/4. I pulled the fuel sending unit out and made a slight bend to the arm while holding the sender perpendicular to the tank. Trial and error, but it's pretty accurate now and shows about 1/2 tank at 500ish miles. I never go below that now. I still trust the odometer over the gauge. I guess as long as it shows you when to refuel, while noting the trip meter, that's accurate enough.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel