Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #1

Fuel tank sender and gauge.

I have a 2005 Alpine 36' coach. I'm having trouble with the fuel gauge in the not working. This coach has the furl tank sender in the side of the tank not the top like most.
Can anyone help me out with where I can purchase a new sender? I'm not sure if the sender is bad or the gauge. I thought I would start with the sender.
Ron Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Take the wire off sender and ground it with a jumper wire....then go inside and turn key to ON.....if gauge starts to move, turn key off.....sender bad.....gauge doesn't move, gauge faulty...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Having the sender unit on side of tank seems to be an unusual application--most are on top?????....the fuel gauge on my 2003 is totally off for first half of tank but pretty accurate for the last half--the "important" half! Many years ago, I tried to diagnose/replace the sender but never found the right sender with the correct float arm shape and voltage resistance range to match the gauge. Perhaps another owner has had more success and will jump in.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paulsen View Post
I have a 2005 Alpine 36' coach. I'm having trouble with the fuel gauge in the not working. This coach has the furl tank sender in the side of the tank not the top like most.
Can anyone help me out with where I can purchase a new sender? I'm not sure if the sender is bad or the gauge. I thought I would start with the sender.
I inspected the sending unit on the side of my tank. The sender has four bolts holding the unit in place. All four were very loose and there was evidence of fuel leakage on the side of the tank. The wire connector was saturated in diesel. I cleaned the connector and tightened all of the sender bolts. No leak now and the gauge is reading correctly.
I did order a replacement sender from Spartan, just in case it was needed. It has not been installed as the old one is working just fine.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If you just want to replace parts and see if it cures the problem then be advised the OEM sender is no longer available. Moeller Marine #035725-10 is a generic replacement (Amazon for about $30) that I got to work with some minor adjustment. There was also a classified ad placed on irv2 recently by a previous owner that was selling spare parts for his sold Alpine and he had a new OEM sender unit for sale. If you wanted to do some diagnostics to find the problem first then checking the sender is not that hard.
c_oneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If you get a replacement be sure it is exact, right after we got our coach in 2006 we had a sender problem, WRV sent us a replacement which was for a 125 gallon tank, we have a 100 gallon tank. When I discovered this WRV sent me the correct one.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

I ended up replacing the sender and added a different gauge. I did try a couple senders and the problem remained. From that I assume the failure was in the gauge not the sender.
I was able to find a new gauge and sender that had a matching ohm range. The sender just needed to have the float arm bent in a different direction.
Ron Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank