Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #1

Fueling etiquette

Forgive my ignorance but this is our first diesel coach.

Do most of you use the truck lanes when filling up, and is it an accepted practice? I know some truck drivers aren’t fans of RVs.

What is the proper etiquette for using their lanes?

Thanks
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It's the same as the etiquette SHOULD be any time when filling up anything, car, RV, truck, motorcycle - whatever.

Fill the tank and then move out of the way so that the person behind you can fill up.

Don't leave the RV parked by the pumps while you go shopping, or have lunch, or to use the potty - or whatever else it is that people do when they 'abandon' their vehicle at the pumps. If you have other things you want/need to do by all means do them, but only after you've moved to a parking spot somewhere.
Follow that simple process (even when others don't) and the other drivers, truckers or otherwise, won't be sitting there thinking unkind thoughts about you.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #3

Fueling with Trucks

If there are no special RV fueling lanes designated, fuel up with the trucks. Many travel plazas now have lanes especially for RVs. There are also diesel vendors that offer discounts for RVers for gas and diesel. Pilot and Flying J is one of them, and Good Sam may still have a discount card. Pilot and Flying J give as much as $0.06/gallon discount for diesel, depending on the station.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might be interested in the program discussed in the following thread where you can save approximately 30¢ to 50¢ per gallon on diesel at Love's, PFJ and T/A.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/fuel-...ue-450563.html
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Been using diesel truck lanes for about 10 years and NEVER had any driver be mad at me - if they do come talk, they ask about the coach

In fact, most drivers will jump behind me because they know I'm not getting 300 or more gallons and will be faster !
Old 01-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
It's the same as the etiquette SHOULD be any time when filling up anything, car, RV, truck, motorcycle - whatever.

Fill the tank and then move out of the way so that the person behind you can fill up.
…..
Are you saying this for people that go in to pay or for everyone?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:

Don't leave the RV parked by the pumps while you go shopping, or have lunch, or to use the potty - or whatever else it is that people do when they 'abandon' their vehicle at the pumps. If you have other things you want/need to do by all means do them, but only after you've moved to a parking spot somewhere.
Follow that simple process (even when others don't) and the other drivers, truckers or otherwise, won't be sitting there thinking unkind thoughts about you.
Very good. Thanks. The ones that frost my cheeks are those car owners that use the RV lanes and then go in to pay/pee/ buy stuff. Second place are cars that use the RV lanes at Cracker Barrel.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Been using diesel truck lanes for about 10 years and NEVER had any driver be mad at me - if they do come talk, they ask about the coach

In fact, most drivers will jump behind me because they know I'm not getting 300 or more gallons and will be faster !

x2 Never had a unfriendly truck in the last 8 years been using the diesel lanes
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are you saying this for people that go in to pay or for everyone?
I suspect that if you’re going to pay inside you may as well go do it as the guy behind you won’t be able to use the pump anyway.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
You might be interested in the program discussed in the following thread where you can save approximately 30¢ to 50¢ per gallon on diesel at Love's, PFJ and T/A.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/fuel-...ue-450563.html
It's for real. I saved over $80 on 97 gallons in Oregon and will do it again tomorrow.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I suspect that if you’re going to pay inside you may as well go do it as the guy behind you won’t be able to use the pump anyway.
By pulling up when you finish fueling, you allow the truck behind you to get set up and ready to pump. It's generally considered good form to pull up before going inside to pay. You'll see most truck drivers pull up.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #12

Just use common sense and have respect for others (making a living) and you'll be fine.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
By pulling up when you finish fueling, you allow the truck behind you to get set up and ready to pump. It's generally considered good form to pull up before going inside to pay. You'll see most truck drivers pull up.
Yup. Fuel up, pull up, go inside. Like the trucks on the lower half of the photo.

Some places even have lanes marked beyond the pumps, so you're not crowding the other lanes when you pull up and park to finish the transaction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying J Random.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	272450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying J Random 2.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	272451  

Old 01-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:

Yep, that's what we've always done, as mentioned, common courtesy/sense. Never had a problem.

You mention bikes. I remember one time we stopped to get fuel in in Sturges while the bike gathering was in full swing. Lines at the pumps were fairly long and there were a couple of bikes in the line beside us. I couldn't believe it when it was their turn to go to the pumps, a SUV cut right in front of them and proceeded to fuel up. I was thinking things were going to liven up about that time, but those bikers just waited until the SUV was done and then took their turn. I was amazed/impressed by the whole thing.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel