Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #15

Tip for replacing Onan fuel filters -- disconnect the filter mounting bracket first, then reinstall bracket last. This allows you to more freely align the new filter with the fuel line fittings--good fit no leaks! Careful--the fuel line fittings are easily rounded so make sure you use the correct size wrench.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
OS - I helped a fellow change his, and one other important thing is to have two "hose clamp wrenchs", which aint cheap if you purchase good ones. They can be had at NAPA auto parts stores, come in two sizes. Around $15-$20 each. They are priceless if you are working on fuel or soft heater hoses and need for the fluid not to flow. In opening up the GS yesterday, I noticed how tight that area for the fuel filter is working on your back, not having fuel drip all over the place would be a huge benefit. They also come in handy changing the hydro hot filter since WRV did not think it was a good idea to put in valves to isolate this filter from the system. The next time I do mine, I will install valves so I don't have to crimp off those lines again so fuel does not go all over the place.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Follow up - Changed the fuel filter today on the Genset. It was messy, but easy. Clamped off the fuel line (Rubber one) and did not have much drips, which were caught with my drain pan. Loosened the hold down bolt for the filter, to facilitate the removal of the hoses, and lines (one rubber hose, one metal line) then removed the line/hose fittings. Then when I put the new one in, I placed the filter in its location, started the hold down bolt, then attached the lines/hoses once I had them started into the holes by finger tightening, I finger tightened up the hold down bolt, finished tightening the hoses/lines. Then tightened the bolt snug once and once that was finished the job was done. Started genset to check for fuel leaks, none. Then drained out the coolant, refilled it with straight distilled water, let it run for three minutes or so, then, drained it out again, filled with ES Complete, jobs took couple of hours with setup/take down, cleanup. Then let genset run for about 30 minutes or so, to check for leaks and get any air out of the main fuel line. Now it’s not due again for two years. Great.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote