Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Generator Problem

went to start the generator and it wont stay running. It will run about 30 seconds and then shuts down. The fuel tank is full oil is not low and antifreeze is full. I'm Baffled. Anyone out there that has had this problem your help would be most appreciated. Thank you in advanced.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
the generator wont stay running. It will run about 30 seconds, then shuts down. Anyone had this problem?
Yes, when the RV sat for months, during a shop repair. It took quite a while, holding the START switch, before lighting off. After a few starts (and quits), it finally kept running.

I'm trying to recall if this was concurrent with the electrical issue, which required me to reset the inverter. I think there is protection circuitry checks, during those initial 30 sec., which is when the AC becomes available.

The inverter would not reset, using factory steps, until it had a small load. I used a little fan, plugged into the AC socket.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
i have reset the inverter a few times but didn't help at all. It will fire right up but and run about 30 sec the n shuts down
Old 09-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
Yes, when the RV sat for months, during a shop repair. It took quite a while, holding the START switch, before lighting off. After a few starts (and quits), it finally kept running.

I'm trying to recall if this was concurrent with the electrical issue, which required me to reset the inverter. I think there is protection circuitry checks, during those initial 30 sec., which is when the AC becomes available.

The inverter would not reset, using factory steps, until it had a small load. I used a little fan, plugged into the AC socket.

Have you checked your Auto Gen Start ? Mine shut off like that and I was stumped for a moment until I realized that my AGS was active and it shut the genset down as temp and voltage was fine so it determined that it did not need the generator and shut it off. I found this in my alarm for my Xantrex inverter panel. Something simple to check before you get the tools out.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
when i go to the auto gen start what should be selected?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
ags mode shows manual off
Old 09-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
when i go to the auto gen start what should be selected?

I am sure I have a different Xantrex display as I have mine updated. So can you disable the AGS or verify that it is not turned on.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #8

Another idea what happens if the AGS starts the genset automatically will it shut off also ?
Old 09-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

...spit-balling--1- are you getting a fault code on the Onan; 2- check voltage condition [load test?] of both house and chassis bats-- had a battery go bad in house bank and Onan didn't like it....check for fault codes first????
PS--based on appropriate codes but less likely--oil pressure sensor, coolant sensor, or water pump belt???
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Old Scout! will check that out
Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
i will try that out
Old 09-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, if all else fails disconnect the generator from the AGS. The connector is on the passenger side between the genny and the nose cap. The genny gets many signals from the AGS and if one of those wires is bad the genny could be getting conflicting signals (like a genny start and stop signal at the same time). The genny can be manually started and will produce power without the “external” signals. It is a multiple connector of about 16-20 wires, pull the connector and see how she runs. If you still have the problem it is most likely the master control board in the genny.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
DrDaveMA, Thank you
Old 10-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
My experience has been that the generator 'likes' to have at least a small load upon startup. Often, when starting the gen right after been driving for awhile, it will stop ~30 seconds or so after startup. Makes no difference if started from dash or from AGS. The sure-fire work around is to give it a small load. I turn on the reading lights by the bed before I start the gen - they are 120vac in our coach.

Reason why this seems to happen after driving, is the battery banks are fully charged by the alternator. So, the xantrex won't be charging them, i.e. no load on the generator at startup.

On the other hand, if you leave your house thermostat on and calling for A/C, the generator loves it, and takes the load of the compressor right away.

I just changed out my old Xantrex RS2000, so it will be interesting to see if the generator startup issue continues with the new SW3012 inverter.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, problem