Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
My generator shut down after running about 5 minutes with the Air Condition on one day last week after getting ready to leave for a trip. I restarted it and turned the Air Conditioner back on. About an hour later we stopped for breakfast and I realized the generator was not running. I restarted the generator and it ran just fine the rest of the trip. ???? (I had plenty of fuel)

We returned Monday and that afternoon it was hot in the motor home so I turned on the generator and Air Conditioner and in about 5 minutes it shut itself down. I restarted it without a problem and it ran fine until I turned it off.

I ran it yesterday and it started and stayed running (about 2 hours) until I shut it down.

Can any give me any ideas about the gremlins that lurk in my generator?

Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
My generator shut down after running about 5 minutes with the Air Condition on one day last week after getting ready to leave for a trip. I restarted it and turned the Air Conditioner back on. About an hour later we stopped for breakfast and I realized the generator was not running. I restarted the generator and it ran just fine the rest of the trip. ???? (I had plenty of fuel)

We returned Monday and that afternoon it was hot in the motor home so I turned on the generator and Air Conditioner and in about 5 minutes it shut itself down. I restarted it without a problem and it ran fine until I turned it off.

I ran it yesterday and it started and stayed running (about 2 hours) until I shut it down.

Can any give me any ideas about the gremlins that lurk in my generator?

Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 07-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #3

Get your manual out and read about how you get the shutdown codes. This will tell you what happened.

By the way, for everyone, be aware that in high temps the generator will not handle all the loads. In 106 F conditions parked on asphalt (at WRV after being in the shops all day) ours shutdown due to "Inverter Overheat". We had both a/c on, refrig on, and hot water on plus other things such as battery charging. We were gone so not sure how long it ran before shutdown.
gamaca015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #4

My Alpine is in the shop for the same thing. The charger code read "Code 58 over-temp". Mine kept shutting down even when the tank was full.

I called Saddleback and found out that the generator had its own issue with the cooling system and it is fixed.

I am not sure if this helps.

David
rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #5

Jim:
I have that problem too, and have suffered with it for 2 years. I think my problem is fuel starvation. The fuel seems to siphon back to the tank. Proof is when I try to restart I must prome for a long time and even then sounds like it is barely going to start and then it does. It is ok until I dont have occasion to start it for sseveral days. Then, same problem
I installed a check valve in the fuel line. No difference. Does anbody know the solution?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #6

....add a marine squeeze bulb in the fuel line or move the fuel line or get an electric fuel pump with a regulator for $80.00....I use the squeeze bulb-I'm cheapazzed-geofkaye
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #7

Hi David,

Did Saddleback offer any more details on what was wrong with the cooling system?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:57 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jim:

You might want to replace the fuel filter, if it is contaminated it may cause the shut down. Call Greg at Acacia for some ideas or repair.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #9

No, but I will find out today. I have been too busy to go pick it up. I will be picking it up later today.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for all the feed back from every one. I have been so busy I havent checked in for a while. I have been using the generator a lot lately and the problem seems to have gone away. It hasn't done it since. The 2 times it shut itself off, it started up immediately and did not seem starved for fuel. I have less than 20 hours on the generator since I changed the filter. Unless it starts doing it again I'll consider it in working order.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 08-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #11

Ok, I just picked up mine from the dealer. The generator was over heating due to low coolant and high temperature. It is working fine now. They also cleared the code.

David
Old 08-25-2005, 04:52 AM   #12

What is the procedure to clear the generator fault code?
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #13

I could be wrong, but I think if You just push the rocker switch down instead of up (like you are priming the fuel pump)it will clear. If it does not you must have a continuing failure and should be looked by an Onan tech.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #14

I have had a similar problem for several months. The generator quits when the transfer switch connects it to the load. The fault code is 27 which is "lost PMA sense" The Cummins shop in Amarillo, TX tried replacing the controller with no success and then the stator. I have still had shut down problems.

Today it started, ran rough and shut down when the transfer switch operated. I primed it and restarted with no success. On the 4th start it stayed on line but the RPM varied initially. After that it ran fine and restarted ok.

I also suspect a fuel delivery problem. The Cummins shop in Farmington, NM has replaced the fuel filter. I'm keeping a log of events. This is a warranty issue.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote