Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #1

Generator Slide Won't Extend 1998 Alpine

My HYDRAULIC generator slide appears to be binding; it will slowly extend a few inches. It retracts normally. The room slide and all the jacks function normally.
The generator slide extended normally until a few days ago.
I was able to get it open far enough to fill the fuel tank yesterday.

My batteries are fully charged and I ran the Cummins when trying to extend.

How can I force it open if I need to re-fuel on my 700 mile trip home towing a Grand Cherokee? I should be able to make that distance, but I'd like to be prepared just in case.

Thanks for all suggestions.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
Thanks for all suggestions.
Good luck.

Ours is not hydraulic but I suspect similar mechanical design.

Ergo, are the bearing intact and lubricated? Same with slider rails.

Are there any loose jackscrew or other activator are pieces that are binding upon push versus pull?

Safe travels. May there be all downhills and tailwinds.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Could be a defective HWH solenoid. First step would probably be to insure they are fully seated closed, I think...But it does sound like the open solenoid is possibly bypassing.
There is a procedure to manually close the generator slide by opening the solenoid valves and use the installed boat winch, not sure how you would open it though, never had to. I do know AZPete is the HWH guru. Hopefully he can chime in. For sure you can make 700 miles on a full tank. Good Luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #4

If you look at the HWH compartment the solenoid valves for the gen slide are on the right side at the back. The one furthest to the back is the extend solenoid. Turn the T handle counterclockwise until you feel the pressure release and the gen slide should open. If it does start to open have someone push the extend button until it has opened' enough for you. If the retract solenoid valve is OK the slide should come in.

Geoff
Old 01-04-2022, 11:08 PM   #5

Thanks to all for suggestions. I am now more confused that at the beginning.

On the Alpine Owners Assoc. web site I found a hand drawn layout of the front and back side of the 1998 HWH pump and solenoids/valves.

It shows 4 valves on the frontside Room extend and retract and Gen Slide extend and retract. The back side shows 4 valves for the jacks and one for the engine door.

Also on the ACA site is an ACA document for the 610 system. It shows 6 solenoids on the front side of the system 2 for the engine door on the left side of the picture 2 for the room slide in the middle and 2 for the generator slide on the right side.
My HWH system looks like this configuration.

Geoff,
Your description of the solenoid locations is different from the 2 described above. So there may be three different configurations over 3 model years.

It seems counter intuitive that releasing the pressure via the T handle on the extend solenoid would allow the slide to open. I assumed it is the pressure that pushes the ram- just like the leveling jacks. I'll try it and see what happens.

As Alpine36 said I should have enough fuel to get home even with the Jeep in tow.
When I get about half way I will attempt to extend the slide to add fuel. If it opens, great. If not, I'll just keep on trucking. I don't want to want to attempt a repair until I get home.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:56 PM   #6

Hi Gene

Sounds like your configuration is different than mine but it should still work the same. Maybe I should have said that turning the T handle opens the valve and lets the hyd pressure do it's thing!

Geoff
Old 01-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #7

Hey Gene, sounds like you are making progress with the help already provided but to perhaps clarify things, I'd offer this. Slide and jack cylinders are different. Slide cylinders, including the hydraulic genset slide on older Alpines, are bi-directional. So, to move a slide in or out, both the extend and retract solenoids have to open at the same time. One allows pressurized fluid to flow toward the "working" side of the cylinder, while the other solenoid allows fluid to escape from the non-pressurized side and return to the pump manifold/reservoir. The cylinder won't move if either solenoid remains closed. Only mystery for me is exactly how the internal "shuttle" value in the manifold and the multi-hose connector tree at the rear of the manifold sort out the out-bound vs the in-bound fluid flow. The jack cylinders are single-direction and simpler to operate. While HWH systems vary from year to year, I believe the extend/retract processes are the same.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:41 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Old Scout;6040200]. Slide cylinders, including the hydraulic genset slide on older Alpines, are bi-directional. So, to move a slide in or out, both the extend and retract solenoids have to open at the same time. One allows pressurized fluid to flow toward the "working" side of the cylinder, while the other solenoid allows fluid to escape from the non-pressurized side and return to the pump manifold/reservoir. The cylinder won't move if either solenoid remains closed.

Dean, That is the first time I have had the valve operation fully and clearly explained.
Thanks for the details.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #9

Morning Gene, I re-read your original post and given that the jacks and other slides are working as designed, suggests that your problem is confined to the genset slide fluid loop. If the slide creeps out but closes properly, I would look at the gen-slide extend solenoid. The retract solenoid seems to be working.
PS--the hydraulic version of the gen-slide rails need to be kept clean but is nowhere near as sensitive to dirt/rust as the electric model.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #10

Hi Gene

Have you solved your gen slide problem? If not how soon are you planning on going home? 700 miles is a long way to go if you can't fill your tank. The last 100 miles or so with the needle bouncing down around the empty mark will increase the "pucker" factor exponentially the closer it gets to "E". If you have time try to get the slide to work.

Geoff
Old 01-11-2022, 07:58 PM   #11

Generator slide

I had the exact same problem but could not get slide far enough out to get to fill tube.

problem solved....took to a welding shop and they discovered that the "U shaped cross bar under the slide was bent, causing the slide to hang up on this crossbar. They welded a solid piece of metal and no more bending of the rod. this has worked for 4 years now!!

Mike Alpine 05
Old 01-11-2022, 10:23 PM   #12

I had a similar situation the day I bought mine. I got to my business and the slide wouldn't slide out and I thought the wife was going to kill me for buying a POS. Keep in mind I slip the slide in before we left to get on the road. I traced wire, tested switches and all I could figure as there was a broken wire from the switch so I jumped the power wire from the front slide to the room slide and all was good.
Note;
You have to be careful because later when I went to slide the nose out the room slide went out at the same time ( that was interesting ) I ended up putting a diode in line so it wouldn't back feed until I rewire it
Old 01-12-2022, 08:38 AM   #13

[QUOTE=alpinedrvr;6044934]Hi Gene
Have you solved your gen slide problem?

Thanks for asking. I have not solved the problem yet, but I did make it 675 miles from San Diego to Red Bluff.

The gen slide opened 7 inches and the tank took 88 gallons. 7.67 MPG with no cruise control and towing the 4000+lb Grand Cherokee- using the "String Throttle" that I improvised in November on my trip down to SD.

Good to know that I still had 12 gallons as the fuel gauge would barely move above E.

I got the coach up on the jacks and leveled. The slide will still only open about 8 inches.

Both the HWH 610 Series manual and the 1998 Alpine Owners Manual state that:
"The vehicle must be leveled using the hydraulic leveling system before the room or generator slide can be extended or retracted"

Did WRV really expect that owners would have to deploy the jacks in the gas station lane?

I'll be crawling under the coach when it warms up today. Hoping I find something simple.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #14

Hi Gene

Glad you made it home. At least now you can take your time to fix the problem. Find the correct solenoid valve for the gen extension and do the T handle procedure and see if it moves out. If it does it is probably the solenoid valve. To make sure disconnect the quick disconnect harness attached to the solenoid and test the incoming side for 12 v. If you have 12v then it is the solenoid valve. If no power then you will have to check the control box. All this should be in the service manual.

You do have to extend the jacks about 2 inches to get the room slides to go out BUT you do not have to do that for the gen slide.

Geoff

Tags
generator, slide