Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Generator slide won't extend

I purchased a 2002 Alpine 34' Front Door Double Slide about 2 months ago. I stopped to refuel my RV yesterday, but my Generator Slide wouldn't extend, in order to access the fuel tank. My house batteries were completely drained, after it had been sitting for about a month. Do I need to have it fully charged for the gen slide to extend?

I've now had my RV plugged in to 110v power charging for about 18 hours now and still nothing. Any help? TIA!
Boilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

On a 2002, your gen-slide is HWH and uses hydraulic rams to open/close. First question--your ignition key has to be accessory position for gen slide to function, is it? Yes, both your chassis and house bats must be charged to run hydraulics. Do your jacks or room slides extend--does the HWH pump run? Depending on age and condition of house bats, they may not be recoverable if totally discharged. Need to confirm that inverter/charger is actually charging and bats are recovering. Running HWH pump or charging bats pulls lots of amps thru bat connections so make sure they are clean, inside and out. Running genset or Cummins while working slides may help with low bats. If none of this checks out--the diagnostics get more challenging.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, ignition key is switched to Accessory mode. Nothing works but the cab lights and the entry step. The inverter panel shows that it's in charge mode and is showing the full indicator for the batteries. Do I just need to let it charge longer?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Simple stuff first--are both the chassis bat switch and house switch on. Do the jacks extend?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I purchased the motorhome from an older gentlemen who wasn't really able to run me through everything. Where are the switches for the chassis battery and the house? The only thing I'm really aware of is the location of the Inverter in the cabinet by the fridge.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

House battery switch is inside the door on the top of the steps inside or maybe on the right wall as you come up the steps. It is easy to trip the switch into the mid position . Turn it off then on to make sure.

Chassis battery switch is in the rear passenger side bin ....same procedure!

Geoff
Old 11-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #7

I don't have a generator slide but my LR and BR slides and my jacks won't work unless I'm in Park and my emergency brake is on.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Chassis battery disconnect is in the last bay on the Passenger Side, where electrical relays, air-filter, fuel filter, etc. are. House disconnect is in the entry area, firewall side. Turned left is on, turned right (down) is off.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #9

Generator slide won’t extend

We had the same problem on our 2007 34’ Alpine. Stopped to get fuel, pushed the button to open the slide and - nothing!

Found a repair shop who pulled the cover off under the dash to get to the electronics and found the switch was bad. Problem was, the switch Alpine used was the type used on a tow truck winch! He went down the street to another business, found a replacement and got us going again. Only problem now, is we have to hold the button in ‘on’ position while slide is going out. And then to get slide in. Small issue compared to not being able to get fuel!

Bad design, Alpine!
ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #10

...so what would be "bad" about the design...inquiring minds want to know?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't have a Alpine, but, having to slide the generator out just to put fuel in is nuts! Just say'n! Never heard of such a thing! Rail!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Generator slide won't extend

Boilers have you been able to extend the gen slide....level the coach.
Not sure why I do this, (maybe it’s me or the way our coach is wired) but on our 2000 the key is in the “on” position to energize the HWH.
Do you have power to the HWH panel at the dash?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #13

….OP is a new owner, seems repair shop might have turned off house bat switch--problem has been solved.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
On a 2002, your gen-slide is HWH and uses hydraulic rams to open/close. First question--your ignition key has to be accessory position for gen slide to function, is it? Yes, both your chassis and house bats must be charged to run hydraulics. Do your jacks or room slides extend--does the HWH pump run? Depending on age and condition of house bats, they may not be recoverable if totally discharged. Need to confirm that inverter/charger is actually charging and bats are recovering. Running HWH pump or charging bats pulls lots of amps thru bat connections so make sure they are clean, inside and out. Running genset or Cummins while working slides may help with low bats. If none of this checks out--the diagnostics get more challenging.....
You can extend the generator slide with the engine running - we do it all of the time on our 2002.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, slide