Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #1

Generator turned on by itself?

So I walked out this morning and heard my generator on. I've had the coach for 6 months in cold and hot weather and this has never happened. Is there a system on a coach like mine that would do that? Thanks!

GT
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

GT,

On my 2001 Alpine Coach, the Onan generator unexpectedly started by itself after I parked the coach after traveling several hundred miles in hot weather with the dash A/C running. After talking to Onan and going to a couple of service centers, the best guess was that it started by itself due to condensation from the dash A/C dripping down into the Genset and shorting the start lead on the circuit board. Cummins Onan recommended that I cover the Genset cover seams with aluminum tape to prevent condensation from getting inside. I never had any further trouble after that. I now put the same aluminum tape on my 2006 Alpine Coach.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale777 View Post
GT,

On my 2001 Alpine Coach, the Onan generator unexpectedly started by itself after I parked the coach after traveling several hundred miles in hot weather with the dash A/C running. After talking to Onan and going to a couple of service centers, the best guess was that it started by itself due to condensation from the dash A/C dripping down into the Genset and shorting the start lead on the circuit board. Cummins Onan recommended that I cover the Genset cover seams with aluminum tape to prevent condensation from getting inside. I never had any further trouble after that. I now put the same aluminum tape on my 2006 Alpine Coach.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Mine has been parked for two weeks. Hmm...

GT
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #4

GT- do you have a residential fridge? I see that as an option at least back to 2001, and I believe that option always came w/an Auto-Gen-Start feature programmable to kick in if house batteries needed a boost. If not, then- what Dale said.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
This has happened to a couple of Alpine Owners that do not have AGS. It happened to our 2001 in late 2002 while Donna and I were at Lake Tahoe and the Alpine was at home. We received a call from the neighbors that the Generator was running yet the coach was locked in our back yard. No reason was found on why it just started. This also happened to the Oriente’s while their 2001 Alpine was being stored and again no reason was ever found. I am waiting for it to do it again an attempt to find the reason for the auto start yet I do not have an Auto Start!
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
GT- do you have a residential fridge? I see that as an option at least back to 2001, and I believe that option always came w/an Auto-Gen-Start feature programmable to kick in if house batteries needed a boost. If not, then- what Dale said.

Sorry, but what is a residential fridge? I have a Dometic side by side, but not sure if it fits in that category.

I have had the batteries run down before and it never turned itself on before.

My coach was not locked, and when I heard it running, I went into the house and got my two Austrian friends in case someone was in there that shouldn't be.

Thanks for the help!

GT
Old 06-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
This has happened to a couple of Alpine Owners that do not have AGS. It happened to our 2001 in late 2002 while Donna and I were at Lake Tahoe and the Alpine was at home. We received a call from the neighbors that the Generator was running yet the coach was locked in our back yard. No reason was found on why it just started. This also happened to the Oriente’s while their 2001 Alpine was being stored and again no reason was ever found. I am waiting for it to do it again an attempt to find the reason for the auto start yet I do not have an Auto Start!

Is there a way to look at the coach and know if I have AGS or not?

GT
Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

Fridge you have isn't residential (the res fridges are 21 cubic feet & 120V only, so they need inverter on all the time, present a draw on batteries when not on shore power, and need AGS in case you go shopping or leave the coach for any other prolonged time period). If you have AGS you will have a panel where you can set the parameters for when to start the gen automatically. If no panel, no AGS.
AGS became sort of a "standard option" in later years. For 03 (per brochure on ACA Tech Library) coach had to be ordered with it (or at least produced w/it shown as an Option) or with made w/the res-fridge for 38' & 40' rigs, but it was not available on 34 & 36 feeters ('course Doyle woulda probably made an exception if it meant selling a coach).
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #9

My 2000 mid-door doesn't have AGS either and I found the genset running one day when I came home from work.

I blame it on the 'Tribbles'...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, we leave ours stored with the master switches off. We have never had this happen. If you leave it with the switchs off when not using it, you can still leave it plugged in for shore power, at least I do, when we are going to use it withing a few days, this way I know the batteries will be up.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
GT:

There was an earlier thread on this, do a search.

If you have AGS, and it is programmed properly, it will start the generator under several circumstances.

Batteries low

Large draw on the inverter

Regular exercise routine

Call from the Duo-Therm thermostat

These can all be programmed OUT, too. If you don't have the manual, you can download one from Xantrex or the ACA website. (Or I can send you one if it's one of the three manuals I have)

The problems Dale and Dave and others mentioned may still be the issue. I know it had me checking my "personal security" when I found it running, but my friends at that point were Two-by and Four. Fortunately I didn't hurt myself.