Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #43

My Generac was doing that and I opened up the control panel and saw that there was a voltage regulator system and when I would jump a hot wire to the fuel pump the light would come on see if there was a wire off your voltage regulator inside the control panel. And also their little green lights two of them they must be on it has to supply electricity to the circuit that runs the electric fuel pump
Gb 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #44

I've taken generators to Onan/Cummins three separate times and was charged >$1000 each time. The generator had the same problem after I got it back. In each case, afterwards, I used Flight System's help to diagnose the problem and fix it myself. I'm not a fan.

My Onan experience at Cummins was similar- but not as bad- I only went once.
What was the problem with your generator?

My issue was with the glow plug circuit blowing the fuse. Their proposed solution was to replace the inverter at a cost of $2000, which I declined.

I was able to by pass the glow plug circuit in the start switch wiring. I connected a separate push button switch and fuse to energize the glow plugs. Cost less than $10.00. If glow plugs are needed I just have to depress both switches simultaneously.

I'm sure there is simple, inexpensive way to repair the original circuit, but it's above my pay grade.

I posted this in the hope that someone else has had this problem and can explain how to repair the original circuit it without replacing the inverter.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #45

Oil just changed. Check low oil sensor. I had one go bad, and it shut Genny off.
bilb2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #46

Change the fuel pump & fuel filter.
siammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #47

I would suspect an air leak in the fuel system - a temperature fault won't shut it down so quickly. Fuel starvation is what I would look for. This may not be a DIY repair - an Onan/Cummins dealer would be the smart place to go as they have the test equipment to trace the problem.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #48

Did u try adjusting the throttle?
Left2Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #49

Maybe broken belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
Gen 7500 diesel will fire up and run for about 5 seconds then shuts down. I have changed the temp sensor but did not help at all. If anyone has any info your help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.
On a prior motorhome, I had a gas genset. It was doing the same thing. The motor would start and then shut off. Search the forum for "Onan 7500 belt replacement". Spk64 provided a really good writeup for the 7500.

It sounds like you've already replaced the typical maintenance items.
rbtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
Gen 7500 diesel will fire up and run for about 5 seconds then shuts down. I have changed the temp sensor but did not help at all. If anyone has any info your help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.
On mine I replaced the printed circuit board part was around $450 pled 2 hours labor including diagnostic
harry2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Generator

Diesel engine basically needs only air and fuel to run. If yours starts and runs for 5 min at the time, it means the glow plug etc are fine.
Your problem is in the fuel side. Most diesels also have a very fine fuel filter after the fuel/water separator, usually a spin on.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #52

Level of diesel fuel

Our generator is connected to how much diesel fuel we have.

Around 1/2 to 1/3 the generator kicks off.
Marty1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #53

Ours would run for about 5 minutes then sputtered to a stop. Over and over again. Onan changed the fuel pump. It's been running fine ever since.
BudMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #54

Had same problem with Onan 5500 gas. Code said see a dealer which I did. The rubber coupler between the engine crankshaft and the belt pulley was broken so the generator was not turning. No voltage output so computer shut down engine. Good luck.
tom rupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #55

I had a similar issue on a Newmar gas coach. It smelled like the generator motor was flooded and would only run a few seconds before shutting off. Eventually, it was difficult to even start the generator. Fortunately, we have a local Onan service shop so asked the owner and he said it sounded like the float in the carburetor had a hole and was holding fuel inside. Sure enough, when I removed the carburetor the little white float was full of gas. He gave me a float that he had just laying around in his shop and I replaced it myself. After that it ran fine until the motorhome was sold about a year after the issue arose.
JPusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
When mine did that I used the generator manual to troubleshoot. Ended up doing some kind of reset by starting it with the switch on the generator housing in the front bay. Kind of like rebooting a computer.
jss540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator