Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #1

Goodyear G670's Who has the oldest?

I am doing some research and would like to get some data on people w/ Goodyear G670's. I would like to hear from people that have had them on for at least 5 years or more? How long have you had them, do you store it inside, how many miles on them, and what is there condition now? Ie: dry rot, cracking, abnormal wear

Thanks,
2002 Country Coach Magna Journey 37' 455hp. CAT C-12 - our current Family Adventure Ride, 2000 Alpine 36FDSS Cummings 330hp. SOLD 5/2016, 2002 Renagade 21' Toter Home CAT 3046 SOLD 9/08- Henderson, Co.
tillbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had mine for 7 years, still looked really good, but my last trip, I noticed a small bubble on the side of one of them at the campground. I was going to wait another year before replacing rather than the recommended 7 year rule but decided that as we are going on a 5k trip next month that I would put on a new set. Had them installed a couple of weeks ago and WOW, it rides better to. Also Goodyear has a $50 per tire rebate right now. BTW only had 31K on the tires
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #3

42000 miles, tires have mid '03 dates on them. I know many folks go by the 7 year rule, but I'm going with the 5-7 year "rule." Also the Goodyear $80 per tire rebate will help. These are pricey tires. Have two quotes from different Les Schwab dealers and they're about $150 difference. Didn't realize that LS dealers could have different prices.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #4

We've had Goodyear G670's on our coach since it was new. The first set was replaced @ about 50,000 miles We had an alignment problem which caused the left front to wear heavily, and a rear one that was cut by a road hazard. During the time they were on the coach (6 years) there were no problems or weather checking.

Since we had to replace 2 and were going to Alaska the next summer we decided it would be best to replace them all. We still have one of the originals as a spare and 3 more setting in the garage. We have 20,000+ miles on the new set and haven't had any problems.

The new tires were balanced with Equal balancing powder. This is the first time we've tried it on any of our cars or trucks, and it seems to work well.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

In the July 2009 edition of "MotorHome" magazine "techsavvy Coach & Chassis" editor Wes Caughlan Wrote:

" While working for major tire companies for more than 25 years as a forensic engineer, I pretty much set the seven year limit (for replacing motor home tires) after discussing it with my clients (the tire companies). There is nothing sacred about it, though, it's an average thing. Some will last longer, and a few will fail sooner. It largely depends on storage.

Tires will last longer on motorhomes that are stored inside, and have their tires shielded from ultraviolet exposure and atmospheric chemicals that degrade rubber. If you motorhome is stored inside when not in use, and there are no visible cracks in the tire sidewalls, the tires may be good 10 years, but no more.

We recommend changing all rubber parts every ten years, that includes fuel lines, brake lines, vacuum hoses, coolant hoses, window weatherstripping, body mounts and any other critical rubber parts. Rubber lasts just so long, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

An old tire usually blows out and does a lot of collateral damage to the motorhome. That's why I don't believe in being a penny wise and a pound foolish"

Now before you all start shooting the messanger, remember I didn't write the article I merely reported it, so....

I personally find the TOTAL rubber replacement a little extreme and a lot expensive. How many people replace ALL the rubber parts on cars 20 years old? When was the last time you replaced a body or engine mount? Does that mean window and door trim as well?

I personally believe hoses, tires and belts should be inspected prior to each trip and inspected thoroughly annually and any hoses found to be cracking or getting hard to the touch should be replaced. While some motorhome tires undoubtedly last ten years, and his seven year recommendation is probably OK, after all the Alpine blowouts I have heard about on six year old tires I believe anyone going beyond 5-6 in and Alpine, or any similar heavy Diesel motorhome, is tempting fate and had better watch their inflation and sidewalls VERY carefully AND have good comprehensive body insurance.

Harold
Old 06-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ours are 3 years old, and have 9K miles on them. My guess is age will kill them before the mileage does. Like the Goodyear’s well enough to use them again, but might try Michelin. Currently camping world has an variable dollar rebate on G670's depending on the size you want.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The Goodyear Rebate is available directly from Goodyear until July 31, 2009. For 22.5" 670RV 295's it is $80 per tire. There is a rebate for 19.5" and the G614 RST tires (235s).

You can purchase your tires from any GY dealer.

See http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/G670G614_RVONLINE_P.pdf
Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It would appear that Camping World has an seperate instant Rebate of $80 and with the $80 mail in rebate from Goodyear on the GRV670 R275/70/22.5s, thats a total discount of $160/Tire.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #9

I talked to Goodyear and they told me that Camping World is handling the Goodyear factory rebate in house at the counter and all additional mail in rebates to Goodyear will be denied. So that means that Camping World is giving you the $80 and cashing in your rebate w/ Goodyear.
2002 Country Coach Magna Journey 37' 455hp. CAT C-12 - our current Family Adventure Ride, 2000 Alpine 36FDSS Cummings 330hp. SOLD 5/2016, 2002 Renagade 21' Toter Home CAT 3046 SOLD 9/08- Henderson, Co.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #10

I'm about to get G670's for my coach and was asked if I wanted the rear tires balanced? Never thought about this.... how important is it to have the rear tires balanced?
Mikebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #11

All tires should be balanced. Most OTR drivers do not care about this, but I do. I have to ride around w/ rattling pans if I don't.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just had 6 G670's installed. Les Schwab threw a bag of Equal in each tire. Coach runs vibration free. I had never used the product and was pleasantly surprised with the results.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote