Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Chuck is thinking about replacing our Toyo tires with Goodyear Tires. Those of you running Goodyear's are you happy? Any suggestions as to a dealer/installer in So. Cal? What about the Centramatics? Are they worth the $$? What pressure are you running on the Goodyear's? Currently we run 110psi all the way around. Seems to be OK.

We have just over 39,000 miles on the original Toyo's, have some wear on the front outside edges, backs seem OK . We have never rotated these tires - should we do that before going to the expence of replacing the tires? We are happy with the ride etc. Chuck just feels that tires should be changed every 5+ years. (don't want a blowout on the road!!)

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #2

Chuck is thinking about replacing our Toyo tires with Goodyear Tires. Those of you running Goodyear's are you happy? Any suggestions as to a dealer/installer in So. Cal? What about the Centramatics? Are they worth the $$? What pressure are you running on the Goodyear's? Currently we run 110psi all the way around. Seems to be OK.

We have just over 39,000 miles on the original Toyo's, have some wear on the front outside edges, backs seem OK . We have never rotated these tires - should we do that before going to the expence of replacing the tires? We are happy with the ride etc. Chuck just feels that tires should be changed every 5+ years. (don't want a blowout on the road!!)

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Donna & Chuck:

Chuck is correct to start thinking about changing the tires after five years, that's good insurance. As for the pressure have the coach weighted and adjust the pressure according to the manufactures' recommendation. Because of the weight of my Alpine I carry 110 lbs, in front and 90 lbs in the rear. Goodyear is an excellent tire as well as Michelin's, I replaced mine with TOYO's about two years ago with their premium tires and I am happy. I have not rotated the Tires as I will never wear them out they will die of old age first and they are wearing just fine. Rotating them will not increase the life span; they are getting old not wearing out.

Centramatics or BalanceMasters are both good. Have all six tires balanced when you install the wheel balancers. We have the BalanceMasters on our Alpine and quite happy.

See you in Hemet
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #4

Hi Donna,
we have the Goodyears on ours and are quite happy with them, but we only have 12,000+ miles on them.

I agree with Dave, get your coach weighed so you know the proper pressures. I run 110 front and 100 rear.
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I was tempted to put Goodyears on my coach, after the Toyos, but then found out that like Michelins, they were French made, and that made me look a little closer at Toyos. So, I'm putting Toyos back on. I've really had good wear and service out of my Toyos.

Good luck on whichever you choose. They will die of old age before they ever wear out. Jim
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Donna,

On our 04, we replaced our Toyos last year with Michelins...and in our case, it was because we had excessive wear (around 50k miles). John feels Michelin is the best tire out there, but Goodyear is good, too. I didn't think Toyo made our size tires any longer...maybe I heard wrong.

John liked the Centramatics so well that he took them off of our 04 so he could put them on our 07.

Gail
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #7

Per Toyo's directive, the placard on the front of our coach, and a talk with Mike Glazier, we took the air pressure up to 120 lbs cold in the front and 110 lbs cold in the rear, after about 10,000 miles on these "H" rated tires. We were running 100 in the front and 90 in the rear.

We have now put about 4000 miles on the Toyos with the the 120 psi front/ 110 rear and can't really tell any significant difference in the ride or the drive. Outside air pressure and temperature mean we have a range from 115 to 120 in the front and 105 to 110 in the rear, cold. There are too many other factors going on to tell if there's any improvement in fuel mileage.

Toyo's directive was to use the higher pressure no matter what the coach weight; ours is a 36 foot weighing about 30,000 lbs.

For what it's worth -- we have seen no issues from the higher pressures, and one improvement in that the temperature differential between the tires is not as great as it was at the lower pressures, according to our SmartTire system. This is most noticeable on the difference between the two front tires.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
After having our 40' weighed in Charlotte last summer we run with 125# in front & 120# in the back. Goodyear is what they are putting on now. We had terrible luck with the Toyos on our '03 with a blow out at 40K miles.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #9

WOW--125# and 120# sounds like a lot of pressure. The Goodyear website has a great chart that provides pressure to weight ratings. For the larger G670 295/80R tires, you can go as low as 85lbs and still have reserve to cover the max coach axle weight of 20K on the rear. Accordingly, anything over 90-95 in the rear duals is overkill--you know like Teddy Roosevelt and the "Rough Riders"

As for the fronts, pressure is more critical but again, I think 120# provides over 15,000# axle weight--way over the 13,000# limit on the coach. So what would Teddy do?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #10

Old Scout,

If he follows Toyo's and WRV's directive, he would put 120 in the front and 110 in the rear on Toyos. I don't know about Goodyear.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote