Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Ground fault (GFCI 20Amp plug)

My 99 ALpine Coach FDS trips the 20A GFCI plug that I plug into and I've pluged into many different ones and it trips everyone. This is the first time ever I had plug into a ground fault plug since I bought the coach in 98. I tried to fine the problem but to no avail. I check for reverse polarity for one. Its seem like I have something hot grounded to the chassis that's not tripping the breakers! Any ideas?
Jimbo
alpinejimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ground fault (GFCI 20Amp plug)

Jimmy, look at the thread below titled "Anybody out there with electrical background" (about 30 threads), it will cover this for you.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jim and Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine Coach Forum. Here is the link to the thread that Dr Dave is talking about. Hope you join the Alpine Owners at one of the Rallies and Join the Alpine Coach Association.

Motorhomes do not like being plugged into a GFI because of all different electrical systems. I can plug mine into a dedicated 20-amp circuit (No GFI) with no problems. As long as I do not use to many electrical appliances at the same time. If I plug into a 15-amp service, I must shut off some of the electrical systems to keep from tripping the circuit breaker. If we want to run, the microwave or the wife wants to use the hairdryer or curling iron I must start the Generator or I will trip the circuit breaker.

I do have a SureGuard surge protector to protect the coach whenever it is plugged into any electrical service.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have an inverter? What kind?

Many times when they install an inverter they do bond ground to neutral, this will trip a GFCI... In some cases (IE: My prosine 2.0) there is a proper way to do it that will prevent this from happening, but if you do it WRONG, it happens anyway (I know, did it both ways).

Also, Here is the tribble shoot.

First turn off every breaker INCLUDING the mains.
I suggest plugging in a trouble lamp (Drop cord lamp) and having it inside the RV so you can see it. Have the light on

Plug in the RV (Same GFCI duplex.

Does the light stay on or does it trip.. If it trips post and stop reading.

Now turn on the mains.. Does it trip.. See above instructions.. NO continue

Turn on one branch, Then another, till it trips

now turn off the last one and reset, then continue leaving the one that tripped it off.

When you are done you will have one, or more, breakers OFF.

Find out what devices those breakers feed, and POST.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Ground Fault(GFI 20 Amp Plug)

Thanks Guys for the responses. I really appreciate it!
RV2 and especially the owners forms. What a Deal!!!
WA8YXM
My inverter is a 2500 msw Xantrex.
I trouble shot my circuits in some ways as you have suggested. I did not use the drop cord method. Interesting! I used my multimeter. Trouble shooting myself with the meter was a little difficuilt so I probably blew it. I'm going to use the drop cord method.
I'll let you know the out come.
Alpinejimy
alpinejimy is offline   Reply With Quote