Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #1

Maybe this is normal. My 2005 40FDTS w/ Cummins 400 ISL used to start with the first turn of the key. Now sometimes it takes 2-5 cycles with the key to start. The outside temp with the 5x start was about 45F but I wouldn't think that would be a problem with a diesel.

Anyone with the same issue? Thanks.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #2

Maybe this is normal. My 2005 40FDTS w/ Cummins 400 ISL used to start with the first turn of the key. Now sometimes it takes 2-5 cycles with the key to start. The outside temp with the 5x start was about 45F but I wouldn't think that would be a problem with a diesel.

Anyone with the same issue? Thanks.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #3

htg3, I have a 2005 34'FDDS w/Cummins ISL and it fires instantly. As a matter of fact I have started it when the temperature is in the twenties and it never even balked. I have an engine heater but have never had to use it. I am sure there are a number of members that have and would do repairs themselves. Myself, I am headed for Cummins if you feel it is a problem.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #4

45 is not low enough to need preheating or for problems w/fuel due to temp.
Slow start could be lousy fuel (low cetane, contaminants), though it would be unusual. Problem w/"unusual" is that when it happens to you, that's the problem you have. Under Diesel Injection in the yellow pages there should be an authorized Stanadyne dealer that will have Performance Formula diesel additive. It improves fuel lubricity, cetane rating, removes water by dispersal... and increases fuel mileage ~3% when used in the dilution ratio recommended (based on tests reported on The Diesel Page. Should be $5-8/bottle, is easy & the first thing I'd try.
Slow start could be other stuff also, but mostly related to fuel delivery. Diesel's don't have spark like a gasser; just squirt fuel into cylinder at point where compression (~19:1 in our case) then heats & ignites the fuel. So when a diesel won't run or runs poorly, it is almost always related to fuel delivery. W/today's EFI engines, diagnosis of those issues is a shop issue, though making certain all ground connections are bright & tight is one thing the DIY'er can do. Also, if you have scantool or Silverleaf access to computer Diagnostic Trouble Codes, the DTC can provide a data point for further inquiry here or on sites like Yahoo Diesel-RV Newsgroup. You need a detailed mechanical background on your rig (engine, year, mileage, tranny, where you last & usually get fuel, maint. record, symptoms well described) to get good feedback, but posters include diesel tech's and tech groupies, among numerous diesel RV owners who may have had similar issues. You can also post your life story on IRV2 Motorhome Problems & Solutions, and possibly some other sites. If nothing else, you will get theories and reports of repairs others have gotten.