Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #15

RedHotSoup: The 32" Sharp TV that I just bought weighs 30 lbs. with a complete tuner and measures, 30.6 in width. I have 30-3/4" of an opening.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
I don't know what the mounts were like for the years between 2002 and 2007, but here is what the brackets are on my present coach. The brackets are screwed to the ceiling and the front panel, they are quite sturdy. The black strip on the right cabinet, is a piece of soft plastic to fill the gap between the TV and cabinet.

The ducts in this photo are an early attempt to fix the cooling system and no longer used. I have since, cleaned up the wiring in this area. I have to redo the fans again, the MCD shades are interfering with the air intake.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Dale
I am very interested in your photo and was wondering if you have any others of the cabinets as they we're disassembled. I am going to start on installing my 32" TV next week and am not sure what I am going to find under the cabinets in way of support for the new cabinets and TV.

Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

My present cabinets are different than the ones in the early coaches, that had the tube type TV's. There are many owners that have re-done those cabinets, may be one of those owner's has some photos that they could share. You can see all of the photos I have posted by searching the photos section.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #19

You might contact Danny Gayhart. He replaced both of his TV's and did a magnificent job. I don't remember the exact year of his coach but it could be a 2001-2002.
Whatever year his coach is the job he did is absolute perfection.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
RedHotSoup:

There are several threads about upgrades to your TV. I have the CRTs, too and one day want to upgrade to the 32" flat screen that was also installed (as an option) for my same year coach. I believe Vagabondman (Frank) has the bigger, better setup. Some folks with our setup have modified the cabinets by shortening up the two outer ones and re-framing for the new HDTV's brackets. As Ted said, it may have been Danny. There are even pictures posted showing the work. Do a "FIND". Several folks have done this with great success.

Good luck. And if you do this mod, please POST lots of pix! Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Ted III for that info, the Sharp 32" sounds like the best option yet. With those measurements cabinet work would be minimal. I have seen some LCD TVs with built in DVD players to the side; that sounds like a good option to eliminate a DVD player in the cabinets. I will be heading out to the electronics store to specifically check that unit out. Dgerstel, your photo gives me an idea of what to look forward to. I don't think I am intimidated yet.
RedHotSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #22

I become intimidated when I change a light bulb. Speaking of light bulbs, did anyone ever add a light on the 2nd switch for the water pump? Mine is in the toilet room. Lots of wires and I am truly confused.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

I'm confused why it is necessary to replace the Sharp Aquos monitor just to update the Directv HD receiver. Can you help me understand?

Also, did you determine whether you could keep your Aquos if you switched to Dish HD?

Thanks.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Technically you are correct, I do not have to replace my Sharp Aquos. The problem is that the new satellite receiver will not connect to the sharp without a converter (DVI to HDMI) for the cable connections. While the converter is the cheap way to go, I am going to upgrade the whole system. I have Directv at home and do not want to change as I like the service.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

The bathroom switch and switch on the tank monitor in Alpines are three way switches, the off/on position of each switch changes with the position of the switch at the other location. (like a pair of hallway or stairway light switches.) I don't know of any three way switches that have a light in them. One could add a light to tell you when the pump is powered on, but this will require running a wire from the pump to the light. This can be accessed easily at the pump or the tank monitor, not as easy in the bathroom.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

If you ad a pump controller, you can have all the switches you want and each one can have a light to tell you when the pump is on.

here is the info for a Intelitec 10 AMP controller:Intelitec

Here is the info on the 15 AMP controller that allows idiot lights:15 AMP Controller

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Frank:

Can I use the 15-amp controller without replacing the two existing switches (dining area and bath)?

Will the lighted switch at the dining area cabinet still light or does it need a new switch?

Can you recommend a lighted switch for the utility bay?

I installed the Garnet See-Level 709-P3W as per your earlier recommendation, but could downgrade to a 709 if the pump switch is useless.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #28

Jerry,

I spoke with a technician yesterday that said we should be able to connect receiver S video output with a cable to the monitor S video input. Does the new receiver have an S video output? The tech thought the new Direct TV HD receiver would have an S video output.
Traveling Raven is offline   Reply With Quote