Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Headlight-No Power

If you weren't getting any power to your headlights, where would you look first? I know we don't have traditional fuses...

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

What makes you think you don't have traditional fuses?...... what I found by googling your problem was the first thing to do is to disconnect batteries for a few minutes which re-sets the Vansco units....this info I found was a Alpine Coach thread from IRV2 Forums Alpine Coach category...just google your coach info the same as what you did in your signature and it'll take you right there..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

mine has a 15a fuse for the headlights
Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
If you weren't getting any power to your headlights, where would you look first? I know we don't have traditional fuses...

Thanks in advance.

Only headlights, and both sides? Most likely a supply issue so fuses and wires. Only one side? Possible grounding problem.

As was asked, what makes you think you don't have fuses? I'd pin a fin on your having fuses for almost all 12vDC chassis functions (a few get circuit breakers).
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What makes you think you don't have traditional fuses?...... what I found by googling your problem was the first thing to do is to disconnect batteries for a few minutes which re-sets the Vansco units....this info I found was a Alpine Coach thread from IRV2 Forums Alpine Coach category...just google your coach info the same as what you did in your signature and it'll take you right there..
Bob,

You’re correct, resetting the Vansco with the chassis disconnect switch often fixes malfunctioning automotive functions on Vansco equipped coaches. The Vansco acts as a self-resetting fuse panel for those functions, which is why we don’t have traditional fuses for those items.

Bob
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Only headlights, and both sides? Most likely a supply issue so fuses and wires. Only one side? Possible grounding problem.

As was asked, what makes you think you don't have fuses? I'd pin a fin on your having fuses for almost all 12vDC chassis functions (a few get circuit breakers).
PM me and Tommy for the addresses to send the 5 bucks.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
PM me and Tommy for the addresses to send the 5 bucks.

Vansco circuit breakers? I think I mentioned CB exceptions...
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

LOL....I guess the old stand-by name of auto resettable fuse was to old fashioned....not to hijack the thread, but there are even resettable fuses that fit in an RV or car/truck.....school buses use them..I'm using a few in here
Old 12-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I recently had the same issue on my ‘03. Seems after much fuse checking and relay testing (behind the panel just above the floor on the windshield side of the stairs)the issue was the headlight switch. The replacement switch was exact except for the retainer bracket stud was missing. I had to disassemble the switch and install the old stud.
I tried to upload a photo of the box and part but have not mastered the process yet.
Sooo...
The manufacturer is BWD engine managment technology.
The part # is HL 140.
I believe this is the same switch as used in the ‘00 F-450 and up.
I am sure there are other manufacturers also but this is what Auto Zone carried.
I hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E515C498-3869-44D2-B806-71C8EE7C601A.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	228635  
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
LOL....I guess the old stand-by name of auto resettable fuse was to old fashioned....not to hijack the thread, but there are even resettable fuses that fit in an RV or car/truck.....school buses use them..I'm using a few in here

LOL... I'm old (I remember testing vacuum tubes from the black & white TV set down at the drug store) but 'resettable fuses' is a phrase before my time!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Well lookie there, I did attach the box photo.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
LOL... I'm old (I remember testing vacuum tubes from the black & white TV set down at the drug store) but 'resettable fuses' is a phrase before my time!
I'd post a pic, but the phone app won't accept the password that I use to sign in here....gonna find out how come....so, how bout a fuse with tin foil wrapped around it?.....just kidd'n..
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Bob,

You’re correct, resetting the Vansco with the chassis disconnect switch often fixes malfunctioning automotive functions on Vansco equipped coaches. The Vansco acts as a self-resetting fuse panel for those functions, which is why we don’t have traditional fuses for those items.

Bob
Bob,

You're saying just to flip the disconnect in the battery bay and up front to the off position for five minutes and turn them back on?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Bob,

You're saying just to flip the disconnect in the battery bay and up front to the off position for five minutes and turn them back on?

Thanks in advance.
Just the chassis battery disconnect in the battery bay. It will cut power to the VMM and possibly fix the problem after leaving it off for 30 seconds. Takes a few seconds to reboot. No need to disconnect the house batteries. If not could be the head light switch or a loose wire.

Tags
headlight, light, power