Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

How do you keep the headlights from coming on when it goes into drive? I want them to work off the switch so the light dimmer on the wheel works and I do not consume headlights.

2007 36 MDDS
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

How do you keep the headlights from coming on when it goes into drive? I want them to work off the switch so the light dimmer on the wheel works and I do not consume headlights.

2007 36 MDDS
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
This is a function of the Vansco module, and is only changeable with a "ladder logic" (software) change. This is a problem I plan on looking into when I get a chance.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Dale & All,
This is a mixed bag for me. I like the fact of daylight driving lights being on for safety. However, like "TheDoctor", I also dont want a headlight to burn out at the wrong time because it's being used up for DRL.

Also, my Driving Light switch seems to not have any effect on any lights on the coach, what is it supposed to do?
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When the headlights are on while driving, on the later coaches, they are being run at a reduced voltage. This allows them to run with only a small effect on their longevity. My concern, and I think thedoctor's, is that the ability to flash you headlights with the steering wheel buttons is impaired as it is now. When the flash button is pushed during daylight, full power is supplied to the headlights. Since their is already a reduced voltage there, the change in brightness is small and hard to see. My planned solution might be some relays that will turn off the daytime running lights when the flash feature is used.

Monty,

Your driving light switch should power the 2 round lights on the lower front of your coach. You will probably need the ignition and possibly the head lights on for them to work.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #6

Renipladlo, On my late model 2006 Alpine Coach (May 2006), the Driving Light switch only worked intermittently. After talking to WRV Service, I found that the Driving Lights were controlled through the Vansco module, but they had a problem with some coaches in that area. *The fix was to install a relay directly from the Driving Light switch to the driving lights - bypassing the Vansco module. *Now, the driving lights work perfectly every time.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
There have been misc problems with the low amp output of the Vansco modules causing circuit failures. I would think that the preferred method of cure would be a relay installed on the output of the Vansco module. This would keep the Vansco functions intact. In the case of the driving lights, they could not be left on by accident when the ignition was off.

For those of you with creative minds, here is my start to attacking the head light flash problem with the coaches with daytime running lights.

The best I can figure out, with out a lot of time spent tracing wiring, so far is: Power is run thru the light switch, then thru the Smart Wheel control, and then to the Vansco module. The SW controls the flash function. If the head light switch is off, then the SW outputs power to the Vansco head light input to turn them on when the flash button is pushed. If the head light switch is on, the SW cuts power to the Vansco head light input, turning them off when the flash button is pushed.

Our issue, is that the Vansco module turns on the low power output to the head lights when the ignition is on and its head light input has no power. This means that no matter what the SW sends to the Vansco module the headlights still have some power going to them. It is next to impossible for an other driver to tell the difference when the headlight flash, is only a slight change in amount of light occurs and not a complete off and on.

My solution so far, without having a way to modify the ladder logic, is to take the SW out of the head light circuit. Run the output of the light switch directly to the Vansco. Use the SW output to power a DPDT HD relay that would cut off power to the headlights, at the output of the Vansco module when the flash button is pushed. This seems a bit complex and I an not sure if it would create any problems.

What I would really like, is to acquire the ability do modify the Vansco ladder logic. Any help here would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dale & All,
Wow my suggestion would be to try to work with Vansco engineering directly, work out a fix, then aftermarket the device to modify the system.

Concerning the driving lights, I don't think I tried the switch with the ignition on and the headlights on. However, that sort of defeats the purpose of the "driving lights" unless they are for additional light at night down low. That is the next thing I will try to see if they come on, if they do, then I would like the headlights to not come on when going into drive, and I would bypass the headlight switch so the driving lights are direct. However, getting under and around that area to work is hard for an old fat man - now if I could just move the seat back far enough - ha, ha!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

The fix that could be done with Vansco, is a ladder logic change, not a device. The problem is that the OEM is the one who produces the ladder logic. Vansco doesn't have a good reason to make the changes. I do plan to contact Vansco about the possibility of having access to the information that is available. This is only important to owners of 2005's that use the flash feature.

As far as the "device" goes, this might be just the relay, some wire, connectors and a wiring diagram. When I get the chance to try this, I will supply that information to the owners, if it has no problems after testing.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
During daylight to make my "flash" more visible I turn on the headlights, then set the high beams on, then turn off the headlights. The result is that the day time running lights stay on but when you tap the flash button on the smart wheel it flashes the high beams. This can be verified by noticing the blue high beam icon in the dash when you flash. The only thing that screws this all up is if during that time ,you use the wipers the headlights will come on and stay on high beams ubtill you click them off; however, the low beams (not daytime light) will say on until the ignition is shut off.. but then that is another can of worms.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #11

I have found that after the headlights are turned on by the windshield wipers, they can be turned off by turning the headlight switch on and then off. Of course the wipers have to be off.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I haven't really pursued the 'dimming' light operation; My problem will probably sound a little bit dumb, BUT, I need to realign my headlights as they are not very useable as is.
The left light, points about 20 feet in front of the rt. headlight. The right light, I can't figure out where it's pointed.
I guess, just start twisting the adjustments until wonderful things happen. Any comments re: will be appreciated.

Jim Eddy - '03 38'FDTS,being pushed by a Saturn wagon.......
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Not positive, but I believe if you search on the internet for a headlight alingnment chart or specifications, you will get some interesting information. I don't know what the exact specs are, but I am sure you can find something doing that. Once you find it, adjusting the lights should not be a big issue as there are knobs on each headlight for side to side and up and down. Just having the coach in the correct orientation to the specific leveling points should be the biggest problem you will have. I also need to do it as well, but it will have to be next year, it in bed now.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I will give this a try! What I have done about headlights:
When headlights are on high beam, they need to be adjusted, basically, straight forward, to give maximum distance lighting. With the high beams adjusted straight out, when you switch to low beams the light beam will drop and move to the right so as to not blind on coming cars.

WRV tried to do this with a piece of plywood, with marks showing proper adjustment, propped up in front of the coach. (They never got ours right.)
The headlight assemblies, BMW, were not installed level in either of our coaches. This can keep you from being able to get enough adjustment to get proper alignment. This can be rectified by drilling new mounting holes in the fiberglass panels above and below the assemblies as necessary to get them level. You will have to look at yours to see what I mean. If anyone wants, I will add a photo.

My LOW tech method of adjustment:
Find a long level place with no traffic. I did this on the side of the street between the service center and the plant at WRV.
At night, with headlights on high beam, I stand right in front of the coach and find where the headlights hit me. I then adjust the headlights to hit me on the same place when I have moved far from the coach directly in front of the headlight that I am adjusting.