Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Heater hose for Dash Heater ruptured

Had the heater hose for the dashboard heater rupture and lost all radiator fluid coming back from Arizona. Got the hose repaired by splicing in a new piece for about a foot at the engine end which is on top of the engine at the back accessed from under the bed and easy to get to.. Diesel repair guy said hose was pretty hard and should be replaced. wow, its a 2008, well, has anyone had this problem and replaced the hose. not sure where it goes but will contact a shop to see if they can do it. Always something. Was lucky we had a diesel shop nearby to the off ramp and pullout. Mel
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just like on cars and trucks, Checking belts and hoses is routine maintenance safety inspection when doing oil changes. Sounds like someone did not do their job.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Engine end ; of the out to heater line; takes the full heat so it will go first. I've looked at mine and they run through a box in the frame with a plastic lid ; snaps off ; going to be a long job , have to empty the basement to open things up , the heater and A/C lines are both in there so I cant see just trying to drag the hoses through by spicing new to old and pulling, too many things to snag on. Coolant flush and hoses on the list for this summer.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Mel- your situation is much like Tom Anteau's in this AquaHot hose rupture thread. It appears WRV may have been using sub standard hose (mine is Goodyear heater hose but gotta be their cheapest grade) toward the end.
The Aquahot hose is the same hose type as used for the heater.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Mel are you sure it was the Dash Heater hose and not the Aqua Hot Hose they run parallel to one another and are the same type on hose. Read the link that EM put in his reply and Gates Green Stripe is far superior to the OEM hose. If you find out it was really the Dash Heater hose, I'll get nervous, I had two Aqua Hot breaks before changing the entire hose. However changing the whole Dash Heat hose will involve a lot more effort. Please let me know what you find out.
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

Tom- I don't think Mel has Aqua Hot. My heater hose is the same material as the AHot hose so I'm still thinking WRV was using old & cheap hose at the end for both functions.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

You are lucky! We have a 1999 Winnebago with an SCS Frigette heating system!!

Heater cores in Winnebagos don't last much more than 2 years!! We are now on our 6th heater core!!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #8

yes I do have aqua hot but it dumped the radiator fluid which took about 4 gallons to fill so figure it was the heater hose and that is what the mechanic said also. thanks for all the help guys. Mel
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, heater