Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #15

I know not all Alpine coaches are configured the same in the bedroom engine access covers or lift bed.

On my 40' there is a small carpeted floor I lift for the rear of the engine. When I lift the cover, the rear shut offs are right there. The front shut offs are inside the frame near the front of the engine. I have to crawl under the MH to get to those. I would replace all the hoses up to the valves with heavy duty heater hose, keeping as close as you can to the block and that is probably the best you can do.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #16

On our 04 Essex with a Spartan K-2 chassis they put 'Standard' grade heater hoses which is the lowest grade you can purchase. In the first 3 year when we bought the coach new we had 3 times when we were pulled over for up to 8 hours with ripped hoses and twice flooded cabinets. Spent 40 hours and almost 1K $ replacing all heater hoses with marine grade hose along with gate valves both at engine and Hydo-Hot and heater core at dash. Make sure to buy the highest grade which most of the time is the marine grade hose if you will be replacing heater hoses.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #17

Update on heater hose change:

I have all of the hose changed. I think that I've got about 3 1/2 days total time invested. That is working at a leisurely pace and doing it in my driveway.

My plan of attack was to first get new hose from the engine to the hydro hot bin and splice the front heater hoses there. I figured if all else failed I would have new hose in the rear where they have taken a beating from the heat, oil and road grime.

Prep day: I spent a good portion of one day cutting ty wraps that attach the hose to the frame rails and other hoses. Hard and dirty work, especially in the engine compartment. Once they were all loose I got the significant other to help me identify each hose. I would pull and she would mark them with tape in the HH bin. I marked each hose at both ends and anywhere that was convenient. I unbolted the surge tank and alternator and set them off to the side. I also drained about 4 gallons of coolant.

Change day: I got my 16 year old neighbor who is tall, thin, strong and very mechanical, remember those days?? We started at the front of the engine and attached the new hose to the old with barb connectors and used wire to hold them, smaller than a hose clamp. We marked each hose as it was installed. A couple of them pulled through but, then we got jammed up with the spray in foam and had to remove some of that to get the others in. Actually the rear portion went pretty well and we had them changed quicker than I thought we would.

Then came the front hose. It went fairly smooth, but the old hose was tied down beside the fuel tank, missed those, and we couldn't get it loose. We abandoned about 5' feet of old hose in the frame. We managed to get the new hose through the bulkhead in front of the water tank and route it around the fuel tank. There was an open spot in the foam in the bulkhead and I managed to reach it and drop a string through. My helper pulled the hose through with the string and guided it with a piece of wood while I fed it from inside. We got both hoses in and marked and used air to identify the old hose so we could match them up. All of the new hose install took us approx. 4 hours. A young helper is a good thing!! Helper left and I spent the rest of the day ty wrapping the new hose and checking routing etc.

Make up day: I made connections to the HH, at the HH I needed about 1' of 1/2" hose, figure that out. The hose reduced from 5/8" to 1/2" at the HH for the engine heater pump. I spliced the heater hose going forward using brass barb connectors. Made connections in front at the heater. I installed shut off valves, 2 under the bedroom floor hatch and 2 at the rear, engine front, underneath. Installed the alternator and surge tank, dumped the coolant back in and fired it up, I lost about a gallon of coolant when I drained the hoses and HH. No leaks!!

Like I said, I think I have about 3 1/2 days invested, half day with a good helper and the rest pretty much by myself. Lotsa up and down, crawling around on the ground and in and out of the bins and basement. I was/am pretty sore and tired, fortunately not a real blood bath, just a few scrapes and bruises. I may be getting too old for this stuff!!

I bought 150' of hose, brass barbed connectors and new hose clamps. I'm estimating $400 total including labor for the neighbor kid. I figure I saved a few bucks, did it myself, didn't hate it and did at home at my leisure! Would I do it again? I believe I would!! It sure made the vodka and tonic taste good!!

This is probably more info than anybody wanted,

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #18

It took me about the same amount of time. It is not a easy job, but at least it is doable.
With new hoses with shut-offs you should be good for a long time. at least if you had in the hydro hot or heater core, at least you can shut it off now.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater