Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Kid Gloves, do you know what it takes to covert the gen slide to electric? I’d much rather rely on electric motor than hydraulic since refueling requires opening the slide. I’ve had the pump motor quit once and had to drive it partially open and the alarm button taped closed. Not fun!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Kid Gloves, do you know what it takes to covert the gen slide to electric? I’d much rather rely on electric motor than hydraulic since refueling requires opening the slide. I’ve had the pump motor quit once and had to drive it partially open and the alarm button taped closed. Not fun!
I do not have first hand knowledge on how to do the conversion. A quick search of the forum archives came up empty, so I could be misremembering.

It would seem possible once a motor and screw drive were procured. On one thread, EngineerMike mentioned that a replacement motor might be $750. Another thread stated that the motor was no longer available from the OEM and had been referred to a Kwikee motor.

I’d imagine the process would involve the removal of some hydraulics and the addition of some brackets, or mounting points, to support the new components. Perhaps the original switch could be utilized to control the 12V power to the motor. On that note, another owner mentioned that the problem with a non-op hydraulic slide was a bad switch.

Not being familiar with the hydraulic front slide, it would seem if the jacks and slides are operating, the front slide should also operate. Unless it uses a separate pump.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Bob,
Are you sure you have Hydraulic? i also have a 2003 alpine 34' and mine has electric screw drive to push /pull the Generator slide.
Davenlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #18

Both my big slide and my generator slide are hydraulic. Both have a boat winch to close the slide if there is a hydraulic system problem.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
My '03 is definitely hydraulic. One time the pump motor failed so the retract ram line was disconnected to allow me to add fuel. It was a royal PITA!
Old 11-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
My 2006 36FDDS is also electric.
sctalbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:00 PM   #21

Hi BCBowers. My gen slide is also hydraulic and I would like to know how you opened yours when the pump failed. I believe my solenoid valve is bad but when I try to open the valve manually the slide does not open.

Thanks

Geoff
Old 11-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
You need to remove the line on the end of the driver side ram. Be ready for hydraulic fluid to leak out! You’ll need a pry bar to dislodge the slide from the guide pins. If you’re going to drive it you’ll want to tape the alarm button closed to maintain your sanity.

And, you’ll also discover that driving will cause the wind to push the slide partially closed thus requiring you to pry it back out. My wife likes to tell others how I’d drive up close to the fuel pumps, lay down a tarp, and then pry out the slide. She thinks it’s amusing ... I think it was a PITA.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #23

I've read elsewhere, that you can find the corresponding solenoid for the slide, and turn the 1/4' bolt in the center of it. This will open the solenoid and allow the fluid to flow through it, and negate removing any lines. Then the slide can be pried out. Can anyone confirm this? I'm pretty sure I read it on this forum on an older thread. This issue has crossed my mind while looking for coaches.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #24
Commercial Member

if the motor runs, open the extend solenoid for the gen slide. it will go out. then close it, and hit retract. it should come in.
dont disconnect the line. just take the nut off the end of the rod. then it slides right out. its easy to reach.

no leaks, no mess, and a whole lot simpler
wow, this was designed by a guy that never used a coach himself.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #25

As I look in the HWH compartment on my coach, the jack solenoids are on the right. The room slide and generator slide solenoids are on the left. Some information I have seen implies that the is a retract and extend solenoid for each unit. I only have 2 solenoids (one each for the room and generator).

Old 11-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #26

AZPete

Hello again!

My motor/pump works but when I open the extend solenoid nothing happens. i do hear a hissing sound for a second as the valve opens but nothing further.

Which rod and nit are you referring to.

Thanks

Geoff
Old 11-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #27

Wait! I went outside and looked. I have an extend solenoid and a retract solenoid for the room slide and generator slide. Sorry for the bad memory. It is difficult to determine the layout from the handbook. Here are a couple of more pages and a drawing that may help.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
Commercial Member

go underneath. look at the slide where the cylinder attaches to the slide. remove the outer nut. the gen should slide out.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote