Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
3x5

Help finding baggage door latch

We have a 2005 Alpine Coach Limited. I would like to put a matching latch on the sewer bin door that is screwed shut.

I don't see a name or model number on my latches. It opens with a Trimark key, but Trimark says is it not one of theirs.

It is a flush mount, paddle style. The dimensions are approximately 4 1/4 inches high by 1 7/8ths inches wide.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0803201419 trimark bin lock latch .jpg
Views:	30
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	296220   Click image for larger version

Name:	0803201419c.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	296221  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

Is it broken or just looks bad?

Not difficult to light sand, mask and paint with Krylon Fusion black satin.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
3x5

Thanks Brett, but painting them is another project.

I want to put a latch on the door in front of the sewer tanks opposite the side where the sewer dump is. There is no latch on that door. It was originally built screwed shut, but is hinged. Vibration makes the screws fall out and run under the tires. Also, I would like to store an extra sewer hose and some other dirty sewer stuff in there.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x5 View Post
Thanks Brett, but painting them is another project.

I want to put a latch on the door in front of the sewer tanks opposite the side where the sewer dump is. There is no latch on that door. It was originally built screwed shut, but is hinged. Vibration makes the screws fall out and run under the tires. Also, I would like to store an extra sewer hose and some other dirty sewer stuff in there.
I like that idea.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x5 View Post
We have a 2005 Alpine Coach Limited. I would like to put a matching latch on the sewer bin door that is screwed shut.

I don't see a name or model number on my latches. It opens with a Trimark key, but Trimark says is it not one of theirs.

It is a flush mount, paddle style. The dimensions are approximately 4 1/4 inches high by 1 7/8ths inches wide.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Some call it a trigger latch, try that in a search.

Maybe this one?
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
3x5

Thanks oldweb. Looks like the Eberhard 837-k will fit.

They must not be very proud of their product. There are no identifying marks on the original.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #7

Southco makes the latches. There should be mounts for the gas struts in place on the frame. You’ll probably have to install the other mounts in the door. The part number is C5-31-45.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Southco makes the latches. There should be mounts for the gas struts in place on the frame. You’ll probably have to install the other mounts in the door. The part number is C5-31-45.

Thanks RVPioneer! Just what I needed.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

RVPioneer is correct. They are Southco locks.

FYI, the part numbers indicate how long the locking arm is. What you order will depend on how 'thick' the area it latches to is.

One of mine was broken when I bought it. I asked the dealer to replace it, and they did. When I picked it up, the tech was explaining how he couldn't get it to latch without completely removing the adjuster bolt thingamabob (technical term lol). That means they ordered the wrong one, but it does work.

I am unsure the specific part number, but I'm sure the one RVPioneer provided is going to work. If I were ordering another, I would make some measurements and compare to the Southco site.

I want to do the exact same thing as you're contemplating. The fixed side of the tank bay is mostly ready to be modified. You could add gas springs, but honestly, I wouldn't bother. You won't be in there often, so when you are, just open the bays on both sides and put something in between the doors. OK this is hard to explain in words, but I just had mine open before we left FL. I used 2 pieces of foam to avoid scratching the doors, but almost anything would work. Open the doors next to it. Then open the wet bay door higher then the other doors and stick something under it. You don't have to do both sides. Either door will hold it up, but I prefered to spread out the load. I did give the idea of adding another latch more thought this time, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get to this upgrade. It's only 2 screws that hold it shut. I've opened the bay 2 times (other then our maiden voyage when I lost the screw(s) in the first 50 miles after leaving home). It takes me less than 5 minutes to open it and close it, and that includes putting a little glue on the screw to make sure they don't vibrate loose on the road. The glue I use is called "FuzeIt", but I'm sure there are lots of glues that would work as well.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #10
3x5

I am not going to add the gas struts. Like you, I don't think I will be in there enough. An adjustable length squeegy pole works well enough for me to hold the door up.

I gave up on the screws for holding the door shut. I switched to a piece of coat hanger wire. You bend the top into a circle, and thread it through the hole in the body. Leave a gap and pull it through the hole in the door. Then pull it tight to close it, and bend the piece on the outside at the hole so it stays tight.

I will be putting an extra length of dirty sewer hose in there, and a few extra sewer attachment and parts.

I ran into a guy once who had a whole bin door added to the section in front of the driver seat. A lot of other brand of motorhomes come that way. The guy who did it for him retired though.

John
Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
You could add gas springs, but honestly, I wouldn't bother. You won't be in there often, so when you are, just open the bays on both sides and put something in between the doors. OK this is hard to explain in words, but I just had mine open before we left FL. I used 2 pieces of foam to avoid scratching the doors, but almost anything would work. Open the doors next to it. Then open the wet bay door higher then the other doors and stick something under it. You don't have to do both sides. Either door will hold it up, but I prefered to spread out the load. I did give the idea of adding another latch more thought this time, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get to this upgrade.
There is no bay door immediately aft of the black/grey bay on a 36’. It’s the wheel well.

I haven’t done the modification yet. When I do, it will have the struts. It just seems easier than opening 2 doors to prop open the 3rd door.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door