Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #1

Help with 03, 04 Brochures and Year changes

I'm looking for the 03 and 04 brochures if someone can point me to them or email them. I search on IRV2 and the internet and can't find them.

Also looking for things that changed from 03 to 04. I was looking at an 04 and have a thread open. That unit had issues so I've found an 03 I may go look at. It's quite far away and I want to know more about it before I make a trip like that.

Did the 03 have the updated brakes (no slides)?

Also I didn't drive the 04 because it didn't seem safe with the issues it has. So I've only driven Country Coach's, How do the Alpines RIDE compared to the CC? I've seen many comments on the Alpine's driving/handling better.

Before I make a days trip each way to look at the 03 I want as much info as possible.

Thanks Mike
smp440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

If it’s in good condition you can’t go wrong. The ‘03 was the last “basic” coach produced by WRV. They have all typically available components and no multiplexer system. Since they’re obviously 18 years old, repairs may end up being upgrades. We still have the original Amana fridge which has lost ice making but gets plenty cold. Our heat pumps are noisy and will need to be replaced with all new systems eventually. The original charger/inverter (if still working) should be upgraded to new Xantrex model or Magnum because the old inverter does not produce pure sine wave AC which is hard on devices.

You’ll get lots of help on this forum regardless of which year you buy. The quality of the coach will be VERY dependent upon how well it’s been maintained. Full complement of maintenance records would say a lot about the owners attention to maintaining it.

Good luck!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

Here is the '04 brochure pdf. And a couple of reviews from the time. I don't have the '03 brochure on my computer. I am sure others do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04_AlpineCoach.pdf (1.15 MB, 258 views)
File Type: pdf Peak-Review2.pdf (76.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf Rev_ACL_FMC_Mag.pdf (93.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

I'll tag onto Bob's post, above.

Not much difference in 2003-2004 coaches, save the Vansco. Some of the layout, both in the house and chassis is different, but not by much. Features inside should be identical if comparing exact same model floorplans, though one coach po may have opted for a feature that the other doesn't have.

Chassis are basically identical, including brake system and slide systems. Drive it, you'll love it. There is no other chassis of that vintage that drives so well without having to add components for better behavior. Even newer chassis are hard to match, though the Powerglide was designed by the same people as Alpine's Peak chassis. That tells you something.

In 2003, the ISL was an option, so be sure this coach has that engine if you're comparing to the 2004. It will also be a CAPS engine.

In short, you should have no qualms in looking at the 2003 after you've already researched a 2004. The deciding factors will be how that particular coach was maintained and how it currently looks/feels.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Here's the 2003 Brochure!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003 Alpine Coach.pdf (1.21 MB, 154 views)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I'll tag onto Bob's post, above.

Not much difference in 2003-2004 coaches, save the Vansco. Some of the layout, both in the house and chassis is different, but not by much. Features inside should be identical if comparing exact same model floorplans, though one coach po may have opted for a feature that the other doesn't have.

Chassis are basically identical, including brake system and slide systems. Drive it, you'll love it. There is no other chassis of that vintage that drives so well without having to add components for better behavior. Even newer chassis are hard to match, though the Powerglide was designed by the same people as Alpine's Peak chassis. That tells you something.

In 2003, the ISL was an option, so be sure this coach has that engine if you're comparing to the 2004. It will also be a CAPS engine.

In short, you should have no qualms in looking at the 2003 after you've already researched a 2004. The deciding factors will be how that particular coach was maintained and how it currently looks/feels.
First off, Thanks Bob, Jim, Larry and Paul for all the info and reeding material.

Larry, Thank you so much for all the input over the last few weeks. You have been a great help. When talking about driving an Alpine you use the word/phrase "drives so well". Is the including "ride". The reason I ask is because when I drove the CC the ride was very good and I couldn't imagine wanting to spend money to make it ride better. But in the Alpine forum, I see people talking about shock upgrades and what not. Just curios as to the "ride quality" or in other words how does the coach handle bumps dips pot holes and expansion joints? I understand and do believe the drive characteristics are second to none after reading up on the material I could find about them working so hard on lowering the center of gravity and weight distribution to get the handling more in tune with the feeling of a car.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
First off, Thanks Bob, Jim, Larry and Paul for all the info and reeding material.

Larry, Thank you so much for all the input over the last few weeks. You have been a great help. When talking about driving an Alpine you use the word/phrase "drives so well". Is the including "ride". The reason I ask is because when I drove the CC the ride was very good and I couldn't imagine wanting to spend money to make it ride better. But in the Alpine forum, I see people talking about shock upgrades and what not. Just curios as to the "ride quality" or in other words how does the coach handle bumps dips pot holes and expansion joints? I understand and do believe the drive characteristics are second to none after reading up on the material I could find about them working so hard on lowering the center of gravity and weight distribution to get the handling more in tune with the feeling of a car.
Well, as we all know, "ride" is subjective. However to answer your questions directly, it is an air ride which is inherently smooth. More importantly, is the handling. No drifting left/right across the lane, even with ruts or seams. No constant see-sawing of the steering wheel to keep it straight. No pushing sideways from passing trucks, and minimal, if any, sudden shifting from side gusts. Some of that is due to the power of the engine vs the chassis weight, but it is a very stable ride.

The shock questions is often in the context of worn OG shocks which result in more than one rebound over bumps or dips. My coach has the Koni 99s on the front and they are not too stiff and the multiple rebounding or bouncing is non-existent. Additionally, the turning radius is short, given the size of the chassis. Alpine has one of the shortest of that vintage, as well as a weel-base/overhang proportion that makes for such good handling characteristics.

To be fair, I have only driven a Freightliner chassis class A before, a 2007 vintage, and the Alpine is far superior. Never drove a CC. I did add suspension/steering improvements to the Freightliner which made a tremendous difference, but it still pales compared to the Alpine. I am not interested in "modern" coaches, just my personal preference, but the newest ones have developed suspension systems that make handling a breeze, something that the Peak chassis had by design. I cannot compare the Alpine with a new coach, but coaches of the same vintage, I will bet the ride and handling is superior in the Alpine. (Oh yeah, my grandkids are the best ever born as well!)
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #8

I can honestly tell you that the Alpine Coach is the worst handling Class A motorhome I have ever driven. It is also the ONLY Class A motorhome I have ever driven, so it is also the best handling one I have ever driven!! So my opinion is worthless to you, other to say I am still driving it.

Seriously, I did have Road King shocks installed years ago after wearing out the original Bilstein's and two sets of Koni 88's. The Koni 99 model shocks were not available yet at the time I bought the Road Kings, and the Koni 99 model is supposed to be far superior to the 88's. I will take Larry's and others word on that.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Shortly after I got my Alpine, I let a friend drive it. He had some experience driving Class A's so felt safe letting him drive.
After about 15 miles he says to me "Driving this thing is dangerous." I asked how so. His answer "This thing drives so smooth and straight that I'm afraid I'd fall asleep".

If you have good shocks and tires, tires are properly inflated and the ride height hasn't been messed with, Alpine's are a pleasure to drive and to ride in.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #10

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the info. I definitely feel better about the long trip now.

Thanks again Mike
Old 03-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #11

We have owned a Country Coach for the last couple of years and can tell the group that a Alpine drives and handles way way better than a Country Coach. One of the biggest problems of being a previous owner of a Alpine is any motorhome you might test drive you will always compare it to how the Alpine drives. I have found over the years of driving and owning different brands of motorhomes nothing drives better then a Alpine. A few might come close to driving as well but none drive better that I have found.
We have just purchased a 2007 36 MDDS and selling the Allure.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #12

"Uncompensated testimonial" -- MKelly knows Alpines! As an 18 year owner of the same 2003 Alpine 40ft with 190k miles on it--I can also claim a modest amount of experience with Alpines in general, and 2003s in particular. In my view, the 2001 thru 2003 are very similar and the 2004 is fairly similar. While WRV was always making changes between and within model years, there are a couple of changes worth noting during this era.
Sometime during the period, WRV upgraded the suspension--slightly more load capacity [33 vs 31k lbs], and a significant improvement in wheel cut[turn radius]. OEM tire size increased from 295 75R to 295 80R. The 400ISL went from optional to standard but was still a CAPS engine. The 2004 began using the Vansco multiplex comm. system. WRV didn't go to a PSW inverter until 2005. Genset slide changed from HWH hydraulic driven to electric motor [I think?]. Perhaps there were other changes, eg, exterior paint schemes, audio/visual equip. and slide config., but these were among the most obvious--to me anyway.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the info. I definitely feel better about the long trip now.

Thanks again Mike

I know this coach is longer than what you are looking for, but it appears to be in decent shape and the price seems decent. Maybe worth looking at?

It is located in St. Charles, MO.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/d...275978819.html

Happy hunting!
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #14

Thanks Mkelley, Old scout and beach house.

Beach house I'll look into that coach.

Ok, so after reading Old scout's post. I was already thinking but I'll just ask.

The 03 I'm looking at has a floor plan that's only shown in the 04 brochure. So would it have the chassis described in the 04 (bigger tires, higher GVWR and tighter turning radius)?

I figured it wasn't a guarantee so I asked the salesman. He was of no use. He even told me that the coach isn't air ride... WOW.

After that I wasn't confident he good give me any accurate info.

It's a fifteen hour drive for me to go look. I wonder if theirs someone in the forum in that part of Florida that could lay eyes on it?

Just aggravates me when salesman are so ignorant to there profession!