Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #15

What part of FL? I have a friend that is in norther FL right now that would likely be willing to go take a look as long as it is not too far of a drive...
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp440 View Post
Thanks Mkelley, Old scout and beach house.

Beach house I'll look into that coach.

Ok, so after reading Old scout's post. I was already thinking but I'll just ask.

The 03 I'm looking at has a floor plan that's only shown in the 04 brochure. So would it have the chassis described in the 04 (bigger tires, higher GVWR and tighter turning radius)?

I figured it wasn't a guarantee so I asked the salesman. He was of no use. He even told me that the coach isn't air ride... WOW.

After that I wasn't confident he good give me any accurate info.

It's a fifteen hour drive for me to go look. I wonder if theirs someone in the forum in that part of Florida that could lay eyes on it?

Just aggravates me when salesman are so ignorant to there profession!
Will the dealer give you the VIN? Use the attached code cracker to determine engine and model year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F64E6170-9329-4650-81A5-521A53F99F4A.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	320328  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #17

I may have overstated the differences a bit--both load capacity and tire size were minimal changes in 2003/2004...but as an owner of a 48 degree wheel cut 2003, I was always a bit envious of the new coaches. Certainly by 04, all three of these items were "upgraded." Side bar--both the ISC 350 and the ISL 400 are great engines for this size coach--the 400 has a bit more HP and torque but for me, the main difference is the 350 engine PAC brake vs the 400 Jake--either brake works, the 2-stage Jake is just a significant bonus for/when traveling in the Western US.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I may have overstated the differences a bit--both load capacity and tire size were minimal changes in 2003/2004...but as an owner of a 48 degree wheel cut 2003, I was always a bit envious of the new coaches. Certainly by 04, all three of these items were "upgraded." Side bar--both the ISC 350 and the ISL 400 are great engines for this size coach--the 400 has a bit more HP and torque but for me, the main difference is the 350 engine PAC brake vs the 400 Jake--either brake works, the 2-stage Jake is just a significant bonus for/when traveling in the Western US.
My question of the GVWR is because they added the weight of the 3rd slide and if on the lower capacity chassis it will cut that amount off the CCC. The slide has cabinets top to bottom with a small window so its heavy. Being that its on 04 floor plan I am hoping it has the higher capacity, which to me would/could mean it had all the 04 chassis setup. Only way to know for sure is to lay eyes on it when the salesman can't help.

On the engine size. As an old truck driver that started with a Ram 1 ton and goose neck then moved to a semi with 53' flatbed. The smaller Cummins engines (5.9 ISB and 8.3 ISC) do not respond to driver input like they should. I have no idea why they tune these engines with so much torque management. To the point that when the accelerator is pressed it takes so long for the engine to build torque and respond. I've driven 3 ISC and 1 ISB but have a friend with an ISB and have rode in his a few times. I've driven 1 ISL and the ISL I drove (2003) didn't have these issues. I probably could get used to the smaller engines but I think I'll be happier with the ISL.

One thing is for sure. We all have opinions, wants and perceived needs, with a priority to go with them. That's why they make so many models. So to anyone reading this, looking for a MH. Go drive different models to see what works for you.

Does anyone have the 03 38 triple slide that can chime in?

Thanks Mike
smp440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #19

Mike--look at my sig block--I have a 40ftMDTS "mid-door", "triple slide" with an ISL....so my gross weight with a 10k hitch is 41k vs 43 for MOST 03s and all 2004s. "Fully loaded" I run about 10.5k on front and 17.5k on the rear so another 3k of capacity left to fill????….not sure how I would do that...point is--generally, the shorter the Alpine, the more CCC "proportionally" you will have [exception--being the 34 where WRV added some "dead" weight on the front axle to better balance the axles]
Think most input to you so far suggests the ISL would be preferable--by 2003 and certainly by 2004, nearly all Alpines had the ISL. I have not heard any owners complain about the 350--but then again, you tend to get use to what you have.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 AM   #20

There should be a label on the inside of one of the upper kitchen cabinet doors that will show the weight of the coach as it rolled out of the factory. It will also show CCC. Here’s an example. Notice this is with full fuel, water, propane and 616lbs of humans. I don’t recall, but that’s probably from a 40FDQS, since it was tipping the scales at 28K.

See if the dealer can send you the weight information and complete VIN and a few of your questions can then be answered.

The brochures indicate that the 38FDTS was not introduced until 2004, which was also the same year that the GVWR increased to 33K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53EA7F1C-9F02-4FD3-A044-79B1C2AA127C.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	320391  
Old 03-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... The FDTS was existed in 2003 since I and several others have one.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
FWIW ... The FDTS was existed in 2003 since I and several others have one.
Yes, but not for the 38’.