Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 10:24 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Help with LVP

I have a 2005 34' FDDS and I just want to replace the carpet with Vinyl Plank Flooring in the living area of my coach. I have searched the threads and haven't had much luck getting answers. I want to keep it as simple as possible so what do I need to know to do this job?

A few of my concerns are:

1) Slide issues- scratching of LVP
2) Sealing floor before putting down LVP
3) Best brand of LVP for this job
4) Matching LVP level with kitchen tile
Any other suggestions you may have before I start this job.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Patrick
DevineAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We haven't done our coach flooring yet, but we did just remodel our guest cabin. We used Pergo Extreme LVP and were very impressed with the quality and ease of installation. It is approximately 1/4" to 3/8" overall thickness, including the foam backing. It's not quite as thick as our Alpine's original laminate flooring, so it should clear the slide ok, but others who have been down this rabbit hole probably have some better advice to offer. Products like RedGuard would be a good idea as a topcoat for the strandboard sub flooring prior to installation.

Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #3

Ours is in at Kustom Coachworks getting the floor repaired and the tile removed and LVP installed, they have a very good reputation for good work, check out their web page at https://kustomcoachworksrv.com/, there is another Alpine in for floor replacement also

Take pics of your project so we can let you know how we would do it LOL
Old 07-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Just some thoughts …

We had our coach remodeled back in 2014 by Classic Coach Works in Florida. All tile and carpeting from the bedroom forward was replaced with vinyl tile that was glued down with separate grout lines to look like ceramic tile. If I were to do it again here’s what I would do differently:

1. I would not use vinyl tile that glues down to the floor. We do not have any problems but prefer having everything “fixable” and not glued. Especially don’t care for the separate grout lines because it creates many small lines between tile and grout that tend to look dirty all the time. I have no idea what may have been done to prepare the plywood floor once the ceramic tile was removed so can’t help you with that issue.

2. We chose to leave the carpet in the bedroom thinking the soft warm feel would be preferable to hard, cold surfaces. The problem is the light beige carpet was IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. I finally removed the carpet myself and laid LVP with proper trim pieces along the edge and across the existing tile. The resulting “bump” of the edge piece can be an issue when stepping on it with your bare feet but we’ve learned to avoid that.

3. Now that I’ve experienced using LVP, I would not hesitate to lay it throughout the coach. It’s absolutely gorgeous in appearance and stays put even though there’s some space along the edge for expansion, shifting, etc. you just use matching trim pieces where necessary to finish the edge and cover the extra expansion space. Again, I can’t help you with floor preparation but getting the old ceramic tile up is quite the PITA from what I’ve read on this forum. And, as someone previously stated, the carpeting was stapled down with TONS of staples. Makes you winder if the original installers were paid by the staple!?

Good luck but I don’t think you’ll go wrong with LVP!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:50 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the recommendations, especially the bedroom carpet. We were thinking about leaving it for the same reasons but may reconsider based on your experience.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:51 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
We are looking at having them do it as well as some other interior work. Have heard nothing but good things
Old 07-20-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevineAlpine View Post
I have a 2005 34' FDDS and I just want to replace the carpet with Vinyl Plank Flooring in the living area of my coach. I have searched the threads and haven't had much luck getting answers. I want to keep it as simple as possible so what do I need to know to do this job?

A few of my concerns are:

1) Slide issues- scratching of LVP
2) Sealing floor before putting down LVP
3) Best brand of LVP for this job
4) Matching LVP level with kitchen tile
Any other suggestions you may have before I start this job.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Patrick
Hello, Patrick, Dudley here; AKA Dudley Do-Right. We have an '06 40' Alpine in which I removed the carpet in the living area, and replaced it with inter-locking vinyl plank that I got from Home Depot. This flooring has no special backing, but it is the floating type. The thickness matched the tile thickness almost perfectly where it abutted the galley floor. I' don't know what floorplan you have, but in ours the carpet was installed before the permanent furniture along the walls was installed. Then the bookshelves, etc. were installed over the carpet, and screwed to the walls. It may seem like removing that stuff would be difficult, but finding the screws and removing stuff will make it way easier to lay flooring, and will give you a much better finished appearance. With slides extended, you will be able to rip out the carpet from along the edge of the slide. Once it's up you should be able to access the staples etc. that remain under the slide overhang. i wouldn't worry about expansion due to the small width you are dealing with. When I did mine I did glue down the plank that was about in the middle of the run, just to anchor the width. You can get transition pieces to get you from tile to plank and back. It works very well. there is also matching shoe molding you can purchase for the edges. I glued mine down. Just seemed easier. I'm assuming you are sufficiently handy to do this job, as the hardest part is the preperation, with measuring and cutting running a close second. Also, your slide will clear the planking with no problem. I opted for no foam backing, as I didn't want any "squishy" feeling under a plank floor!
I also did the bedroom floor, but that's another story.

Good luck! Dudley Do-Right, Alpine Apex 40 MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks DDR, that is exactly the info I was hoping to get. Just out of curiosity do you remember the thickness of the vinyl plank flooring that you used?
Great help thanks. Patrick
Old 07-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #9

We have a 2004 34FDDS. We had most of the carpeting replaced with sheet vinyl 2 yrs ago. We had new carpet laid under the L/R sofa, bed apron & closet floor. We also had the tile entryway replaced with the sheet vinyl. Regrettably, we left the kitchen tile. My wife is constantly scrubbing the tile grout lines and muttering under her breath. We should have done the vinyl throughout the coach and eliminated all the dirt catching grout lines. The sheet vinyl has a thin but soft backing that is easy and warm on bare feet as we don’t wear shoes in our coach. No issues with slides scratching the vinyl.
Fattire_Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Flooring ideas

We used this flooring solution. Vinyl/foam backed interlocking planks (throughout the entire coach) from Home Depot. An excellent and affordable choice for our needs. Good Luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	80799FBE-A78C-412A-A4B6-3BEAC366BC10.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	371679

Name:	AC39D80C-5AD0-41D3-9960-97E7F7843B0D.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	371680

Name:	3FF441D2-CF54-4414-A664-A59C66DC70A3.jpg
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	371681
Old 07-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks so much for the info, I really like your couch, did you replace the original?
Old 07-27-2022, 10:38 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Yes… We decided to update the interior look of the coach and replacing the flooring, window treatments, dining table, AV equipment and furnishings is part of the overall project. Step by step… Good luck with the remodel of your coach. Cheers!
Old 07-27-2022, 11:27 PM   #13

We DYI replaced the carpet and sheet vinyl with LVP from Home Depot 3 years ago and love it ! An added bonus is , I swear , the coach is quieter when driving because of the composition and weight of the planks.

Traditional installation is to run the planks length wise in the coach . This can be a real challenge getting a start point to avoid narrow strips along the edges .

We went the traditional route .

I have seen where the plank were installed in the short direction . It made the installation considerably easier and It looked good .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:58 PM   #14

Just had Bobby Vodden at Kustom Coack Works redo our floor and repair a soft spot, can’t speak highly enough about his work!!

Here are before and after pics and what he did on the steps, they replaces all the old carpet also and had the couch and window boxes recovered also

Love our Alpine and want to keep it looking sharp and functional
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51B23B48-15E5-449A-ABE0-7E808919104F.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	372296   Click image for larger version

Name:	1AD0F544-D125-4CA5-8C4B-39E3336CDC07.jpeg
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	372297