Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had by boat broken in years ago, destroyed a sliding glass door frame and lock (glass OK)

The only thing missing was bottle of booze. They got 9 other boats that night and some dingy motors.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #16

Update.

From advice on this forum, I contacted a couple of glass replacement businesses, but was concerned about getting the right tint and they couldn't provide it. Thanks to Sandy1, I called Dave Root in Oregon (great guy and really helpful). He said the tint was Solar Cool Bronze and he could provide it, but I would have to ship my window to him. He then suggested that any home glass shop can cut the windows, do the tint and temper the glass if they were willing to do such a small job. I called my local neighborhood glass shop and they said it would be no problem if I could bring in the frame.

So, today I removed the frame assembly and will take it to the shop tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I will report back the details. BTW, removal of the frame was easy and reassembly should go easy as well, but we all know how that goes.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #17

That stinks and dealing with the aftermath is such a hassle. While it won’t make you feel better I’d take a broken window over a door pried open with a crowbar.

I had that happen on a previous trailer and the cost to fix the door and door frame was expensive.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #18

Such a violation of your property.
People suck.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #19

Although the horse is out of the barn, Thieves will get in one way or another, smash glass or pry a door, why lock at all. Frustrating any way you look at it.

Clifford
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
You know, we haven't really noticed any discernible difference.
Of course the old dual panes were leaking (fogged) so it's like comparing apples to apples. I will say they now actually open and close much better though. It's been in the low 30s here all month and I can't physically tell if the dual panes are any warmer than the replacements, but we keep the night shades down while stored at home. Noise doesn't seem to be a factor either.
This replaced all 12 windows with laminated glass from rv glass solutions love them i can't tell any difference but i can sure see good.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Update.

From advice on this forum, I contacted a couple of glass replacement businesses, but was concerned about getting the right tint and they couldn't provide it. Thanks to Sandy1, I called Dave Root in Oregon (great guy and really helpful). He said the tint was Solar Cool Bronze and he could provide it, but I would have to ship my window to him. He then suggested that any home glass shop can cut the windows, do the tint and temper the glass if they were willing to do such a small job. I called my local neighborhood glass shop and they said it would be no problem if I could bring in the frame.

So, today I removed the frame assembly and will take it to the shop tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I will report back the details. BTW, removal of the frame was easy and reassembly should go easy as well, but we all know how that goes.

Thanks for the Update:
Glad that it is not going to be a BIG hassle....PITA YES but manageable
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #22

Further update.

Took the frame to the shop, and it was clear to me (pun intended) that the glass used in that window was not tinted. This was confirmed by the shop. The remaining shards in the frame were clear as was the pile of shards that I had cleaned up when the panes broke loose. I'm having the new panes made with clear glass to replicate the original.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:06 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Just be sure they put the correct reflective coat on the exterior, otherwise that window will look different than the rest of the coach.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Just be sure they put the correct reflective coat on the exterior, otherwise that window will look different than the rest of the coach.
That's my point, there is no reflective coating on that glass, at least I couldn't see it in the shards nor could the shop. Technically, it is not a tint but a reflective coating as you say. The large windows have the coating, but not the one by the door.

If I am incorrect, please let me know. I got the name of the coating/tint from Dave Ross in Oregon who seemed to be very familiar with it. The shop knew of it as well, and did not see evidence of it in the glass remnants.

If your coach is available to you, can you take a look and confirm that the reflective coating is on that window (or anyone reading this post)? It would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #25

I can take a look at mine when I get home.
05 36FDDS.
I'm not sure I will be able to tell with my current crappy weather.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
I can take a look at mine when I get home.
05 36FDDS.
I'm not sure I will be able to tell with my current crappy weather.
Thanks.

I went by the shop today and looked again at the remnant pieces. Absolutely no color/tint/coating detectable. The shop owner confirmed. The pile of glass I had to sweep up also had no color. I saw a sample piece of mirrored/coated glass and, from the edge, it was easy to see the color.

I honestly can't remember if the window was reflective or not, but from what I found, it wasn't. I went ahead and ordered the clear glass.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #27

The photos in the brochure show the door and window directly to the rear of the door, next to the passenger seat on the front door models, to be clear. On the mid door models, the large window next to both the passenger and driver are clear.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #28

Look clear to me, but I would go with tint if I were replacing it just because...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210204_161430446.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	317057
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote