Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

Hit by Thieves:angry:

Got a call yesterday at 2:30pm saying my Alpine had been one of several that was broken into and ransacked at the storage facility the night before. Fortunately, the loss was minor, the most expensive single item was the bedroom TV, but the thieves broke the passenger side window by the front door, reached in and turned the knob on the dead bolt. I believe the biggest expense/hassle will be the replacement of the window. Thus my post.

Several questions for those who have the same brand/type of windows. The coach is in Southern California, San Diego/So. Orange County area.

1. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the windows on an Alpine, and are there any glass replacement businesses that have a record of the actual window size and shape used on a 2004 Alpine 36 FDDS?

2. Can most replacement companies get a hold of the replacement glass, which is dual pane and has a mirror tint?

3. Is it difficult to remove the entire window frame and should I attempt it myself?

4. Will a mobile service be able to handle this, and if so, will they have to first come out to see the window, order the replacement, then return to install?

5. Do companies that advertise repair of fogged windows have the capability of getting replacement glass?

6. Finally, does anyone know of a company in proximity to my location that would be worth a call?

Thanks in advance to all. Thieves suck.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #2

Give these folks a call and inquire about new replacement window set
https://www.recpro.com/

Local Glass Company 'should' be able to replace the glass
**May have to Order the glass AFTER coming out and inspecting/taking measurements

Had to replace the double hung glass at S&B ---dual pane/odd size
Local glass company came out --took measurements and then ordered the replacement glass
Took 3 weeks before glass came in...took two guys 1 1/2 hrs to remove Old and install the new
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #3

Well that sucks!!!

Sounds like they didn't trash it. Had a friend who's trailer was totally trashed inside and all they took was the in dash radio.

I seem to remember hearing about a glass shop in Corona, not exactly down the street, that fixes fogged windows and apparently does a good job. It might be an option if you don't find anybody closer. Sorry, don't know the name, I'll post if I come across it.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Try Coach Glass, aka RV Glass Solutions. Their facility in Coburg Oregon did a remarkable job on our coach last year. Two new windshields and replaced the glass in three fogged dual panes with double laminated single panes. Top notch work. The original Alpine bronze mirror tint was not available however. We went with a dark grey tint, looks great. All done in one day with a stay overnight so they could leak test everything the next morning.
Sorry this happened to you, but it sounds like it could have been much worse. Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

Hit by Thieves:angry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Try Coach Glass, aka RV Glass Solutions. Their facility in Coburg Oregon did a remarkable job on our coach last year. Two new windshields and replaced the glass in three fogged dual panes with double laminated single panes. Top notch work. The original Alpine bronze mirror tint was not available however. We went with a dark grey tint, looks great. All done in one day with a stay overnight so they could leak test everything the next morning.
Sorry this happened to you, but it sounds like it could have been much worse. Good luck.

How does the insulation factor and noise reduction of the double laminated single pain compare with a decently done two pain thermal window?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
How does the insulation factor and noise reduction of the double laminated single pain compare with a decently done two pain thermal window?
You know, we haven't really noticed any discernible difference.
Of course the old dual panes were leaking (fogged) so it's like comparing apples to apples. I will say they now actually open and close much better though. It's been in the low 30s here all month and I can't physically tell if the dual panes are any warmer than the replacements, but we keep the night shades down while stored at home. Noise doesn't seem to be a factor either.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #7

Master Glass 909-821-8085 (Mike will come to your location)
Auto Glass Boss 909-557-4898 (Mobile service)
Reliable RV 909-723-4125
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Got a call yesterday at 2:30pm saying my Alpine had been one of several that was broken into and ransacked at the storage facility the night before. Fortunately, the loss was minor, the most expensive single item was the bedroom TV, but the thieves broke the passenger side window by the front door, reached in and turned the knob on the dead bolt. I believe the biggest expense/hassle will be the replacement of the window. Thus my post.

Several questions for those who have the same brand/type of windows. The coach is in Southern California, San Diego/So. Orange County area.

1. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the windows on an Alpine, and are there any glass replacement businesses that have a record of the actual window size and shape used on a 2004 Alpine 36 FDDS?

2. Can most replacement companies get a hold of the replacement glass, which is dual pane and has a mirror tint?

3. Is it difficult to remove the entire window frame and should I attempt it myself?

4. Will a mobile service be able to handle this, and if so, will they have to first come out to see the window, order the replacement, then return to install?

5. Do companies that advertise repair of fogged windows have the capability of getting replacement glass?

6. Finally, does anyone know of a company in proximity to my location that would be worth a call?

Thanks in advance to all. Thieves suck.
I am in your area, where do you store it that it got broken into? These guys will come to your house, they did my foggy door window: https://www.autoglassboss.com/
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I am in your area, where do you store it that it got broken into? These guys will come to your house, they did my foggy door window: https://www.autoglassboss.com/
+2 for Auto Glass Boss
Just had windshield replaced and 3 windows defogged. They came to us in Yuma.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #10

...yup--matching the tint will be an issue....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #11

Thanks for all the responses, leads, and good wishes. Come Monday, I will start calling.

To answer a few questions, the coach is located in Oceanside at Light House Storage on Oceanside Blvd, just about 4 blocks east of I-5. It is gated, lit, fenced, and has cameras all over. Apparently they have lots of footage of the perps, and one employee said they caught two suspects already, but the police did not confirm.

They hit late Thursday night, a rainy miserable night. It looks like they came in behind someone who had the gate code. Still, how did they get out as a code is needed to exit as well? That's not clear, and I doubt they waited for a random person to leave. With the amount of RVs hit, as well as the storage facilities tool room, they must have had a car. My suspicion is a former employee or someone had a gate code or pass key. All the coaches hit were in only one location, still I can see a camera atop the main building that aim directly at my coach and the others in the same row.

Yes, I got away with relatively little loss, but it will likely all be on my dime with the possible exception of the window--that will depend on the deductible and overall coverage.

I was worried about the tint, and I think it may not be possible to match. Might go with a double laminate for strength, but that would just drive a thief to break the window in the door or worse, one of the large side windows.

Again, thanks to all and I'll follow up when things are worked out.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #12

We live on an acreage in sw MN. and the wife is always after me to lock the door when I run an errand. I tell her if they want in they will get in and then besides buying a new tv I will have to fix the door.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #13

Dave root can get the glass in the correct tint
He does a great job of defoging and resealing alpine windows
He is located in alpine Oregon used to come south in Jan but noe just stays in oregon
Old 01-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #14

My last Class A had the living room TV stolen. The thief got in the same way as yours, and apparently laid on the bed and smoked a cigarette while he was there.

Last month my current moho had its catalytic converters stolen. Like yours, it was in a fenced, locked storage yard with video cameras.

I'm now thinking of building an RV car port so that I can bring it home.