Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #1

Question Hot water bypass question

Hi All,
Just trying to figure out the bypass valve on the hot water heater. 2003 38' alpine. hot water heater is under sink area. The only bypass valve i see is on cold line at bottom. Cold line has a elbow pointing down to a tee with a valve in it. The valve position is horizontal. There isn't a valve on the hot side just the check valve with a line hooked up. The heater is getting the water hot but it only comes out hot for like 5 seconds then goes cold. I've had the coach for a little while but haven't used it yet. Planning on this weekend but might be taking cold showers brrrrr.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

So upon further trouble shooting if i point the bypass valve towards the water heater which would be coming out the side of the tee if that makes sense i loose my hot water flow. could it be possible this is the correct position for the valve and my check valve is stuck/bad? idk how long this unit has been sitting but almost a year i've had it plus however long it sat before selling it. i'm sure someone winterizes and knows what position this valve should be???
Old 11-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #3

My hot water heater works best when both the gas and the electricity are turned on. If you are getting on a few seconds of hot water. I'd guess that you are operating on gas only and that your electric element is off or bad.

There is a switch on the outside, inside the door of the of the water heater, behind the gas valve, that has to be turned on for the electric to work.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #4

All I do is dry camp and I've never had a problem with the gas keeping up keeping the water hot. Definitely better with both working though.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The question is ... Are you getting water from the hot water side of the kitchen & bathroom faucet s or are you not getting water? In other words is your problem not getting water pressure on the hot side or is the water not hot?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLAlpine View Post
So upon further trouble shooting if i point the bypass valve towards the water heater which would be coming out the side of the tee if that makes sense i loose my hot water flow. could it be possible this is the correct position for the valve and my check valve is stuck/bad? idk how long this unit has been sitting but almost a year i've had it plus however long it sat before selling it. i'm sure someone winterizes and knows what position this valve should be???
How the bypass valve works depends on its design. However, usually the handle points to the pipe where the water will flow. So you want to point the handle toward the pipe that goes into the bottom back of the water heater.

Yes, the check valves on the output of the water heater can malfunction.

Set the handle too point toward the water heater input and test again. If no or very low water flow, then either input valve or output check valve may be defective.

The input may also have a check valve to prevent hot water from flowing back into the cold water system. That too can be defective.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #7

Thanks persistent. i kinda figured thats the way the valve should be. So when i point it toward the water heater there isn't any hot water flow. I'm going to pull the check valve next. Hopefully thats the problem.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:19 PM   #8

Just a follow up. The check valve when removed the guts fell out of it. Luckily Amazon had a replacement at my door the following day. Idk if it was an original piece or not but the water pressure was just pushing the little plunger through the body and plugging the line. Even though the body is brass the inside components are plastic. With the bypass valve in the correct position everything worked great!

Tags
hot water, water