Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

Hot water tank

Does anyone happen to know if the hot water tank runs while on the inverter?
I rarely have hookups and got to thinking that this might be using up batter power.
05, 36fdds.
If anyone already knows would be very helpful as where it's parked it is very hard to get to to test it my self.
Thanks.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
The tank should have a switch labeled gas and electric. The electric should never be on unless your plugged in. It could run off inverter, depends on how your coach is wired. I found that my fridge was running my batteries down when the inverter was on. I just switched the fridge from auto to gas only when not plugged in and that saved my batteries when using the inverter. I had a 2000 alpine. Loved it.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #3

…..don't know of any Alpine that was ever "wired" with the older combo electric/propane [eg, Hydro/AquaHot is another issue] water heat connected to the inverter...this should be clearly confirmed with the labeling inside the breaker box...…
PS--HW could be run on electric while on genset or in combination with propane for a quick recovery....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

I have to go outside to turn the electric off and never remember.
My fridge isn't on the inverter so that one is easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorv View Post
The tank should have a switch labeled gas and electric. The electric should never be on unless your plugged in. It could run off inverter, depends on how your coach is wired. I found that my fridge was running my batteries down when the inverter was on. I just switched the fridge from auto to gas only when not plugged in and that saved my batteries when using the inverter. I had a 2000 alpine. Loved it.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

…..more convenient to just flip the breaker inside the coach [main breaker panel] than to go outside and flip the WH switch every time--also easier to mess up the WH cover latch with repeated use--don't ask me how I know this??????
PS--some owners have added an after-market switch for the WH in the kitchen but that is a fair amount of work for the same result...
Old 08-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #6

I normally run it with both when out.
I assumed it wouldn't be on the inverter, but then I got to wandering about it.
The lists I've seen as to what isn't on the inverter haven't listed the water heater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
..don't know of any Alpine that was ever "wired" with the older combo electric/propane [eg, Hydro/AquaHot is another issue] water heat connected to the inverter...this should be clearly confirmed with the labeling inside the breaker box...
PS--HW could be run on electric while on genset or in combination with propane for a quick recovery....
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #7

Haha, completely agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
..more convenient to just flip the breaker inside the coach [main breaker panel] than to go outside and flip the WH switch every time--also easier to mess up the WH cover latch with repeated use--don't ask me how I know this??????
PS--some owners have added an after-market switch for the WH in the kitchen but that is a fair amount of work for the same result...
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

….you should have both a black and a grey breaker box in yr 2005-- ref the labels, the grey box is the main and feeds every thing while on shore/genset...the black box feeds those things on inverter [includes battery inverting AND on by-pass mode while on shore/genset electric]….
Old 08-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
What everyone as said is absolutely correct for the factory wiring set-up!!

But............you could upgrade to a robust system with lots of lithium batteries/solar and heat your hot water with electricity

We have the aftermarket switch in the kitchen that allows either Gas or electric (or both) to be chosen.......careful though as the HWH uses about 10A (100A @12V) while heating and will draw down your batteries pretty fast in the hour or so it takes to get your water hot, if you have that circuit attached to your inverter(s)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
What Old Scout says. If the hot water circuit breaker is in the main breaker panel it only operates on shore or generator power.
Everything on the black subpanel is inverter fed as wired from WesternRV.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #11

Perfect, the HWH is infact in the main panel. No real reason to turn it off then.
And if for some reason I do want it off the breaker is a much better option.
Thanks for the quick answers from everyone, awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
What Old Scout says. If the hot water circuit breaker is in the main breaker panel it only operates on shore or generator power.
Everything on the black subpanel is inverter fed as wired from WesternRV.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Just remember to turn the breaker off when you winterize and park plugged in for the winter - if you forget then your electric probe will bbq itself and quit working.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #13

Funny you should mention that. The dealer I bought mine from had done just that.
It was one of the very first things I had to repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper64060 View Post
Just remember to turn the breaker off when you winterize and park plugged in for the winter - if you forget then your electric probe will bbq itself and quit working.
MARYSVILLE, WA.

Tags
tank, water