Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Jeep401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 474
Hot water tank

Does anyone happen to know if the hot water tank runs while on the inverter?
I rarely have hookups and got to thinking that this might be using up batter power.
05, 36fdds.
If anyone already knows would be very helpful as where it's parked it is very hard to get to to test it my self.
Thanks.
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 283
The tank should have a switch labeled gas and electric. The electric should never be on unless your plugged in. It could run off inverter, depends on how your coach is wired. I found that my fridge was running my batteries down when the inverter was on. I just switched the fridge from auto to gas only when not plugged in and that saved my batteries when using the inverter. I had a 2000 alpine. Loved it.
__________________
Gatorv
2008 Revolution
Reno, NV
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,769
…..don't know of any Alpine that was ever "wired" with the older combo electric/propane [eg, Hydro/AquaHot is another issue] water heat connected to the inverter...this should be clearly confirmed with the labeling inside the breaker box...…
PS--HW could be run on electric while on genset or in combination with propane for a quick recovery....
__________________
Old Scout
2003 Alpine 40' MDTS [Sold]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jeep401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 474
I have to go outside to turn the electric off and never remember.
My fridge isn't on the inverter so that one is easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorv View Post
The tank should have a switch labeled gas and electric. The electric should never be on unless your plugged in. It could run off inverter, depends on how your coach is wired. I found that my fridge was running my batteries down when the inverter was on. I just switched the fridge from auto to gas only when not plugged in and that saved my batteries when using the inverter. I had a 2000 alpine. Loved it.
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,769
…..more convenient to just flip the breaker inside the coach [main breaker panel] than to go outside and flip the WH switch every time--also easier to mess up the WH cover latch with repeated use--don't ask me how I know this??????
PS--some owners have added an after-market switch for the WH in the kitchen but that is a fair amount of work for the same result...
__________________
Old Scout
2003 Alpine 40' MDTS [Sold]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jeep401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 474
I normally run it with both when out.
I assumed it wouldn't be on the inverter, but then I got to wandering about it.
The lists I've seen as to what isn't on the inverter haven't listed the water heater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
..don't know of any Alpine that was ever "wired" with the older combo electric/propane [eg, Hydro/AquaHot is another issue] water heat connected to the inverter...this should be clearly confirmed with the labeling inside the breaker box...
PS--HW could be run on electric while on genset or in combination with propane for a quick recovery....
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jeep401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 474
Haha, completely agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
..more convenient to just flip the breaker inside the coach [main breaker panel] than to go outside and flip the WH switch every time--also easier to mess up the WH cover latch with repeated use--don't ask me how I know this??????
PS--some owners have added an after-market switch for the WH in the kitchen but that is a fair amount of work for the same result...
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,769
….you should have both a black and a grey breaker box in yr 2005-- ref the labels, the grey box is the main and feeds every thing while on shore/genset...the black box feeds those things on inverter [includes battery inverting AND on by-pass mode while on shore/genset electric]….
__________________
Old Scout
2003 Alpine 40' MDTS [Sold]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 2,332
What everyone as said is absolutely correct for the factory wiring set-up!!


But............you could upgrade to a robust system with lots of lithium batteries/solar and heat your hot water with electricity

We have the aftermarket switch in the kitchen that allows either Gas or electric (or both) to be chosen.......careful though as the HWH uses about 10A (100A @12V) while heating and will draw down your batteries pretty fast in the hour or so it takes to get your water hot, if you have that circuit attached to your inverter(s)
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (74291)-1600W Solar, 13,440Wh (525Ah @24V) LiFePO4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Hemi)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Alpine36's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 1,863
What Old Scout says. If the hot water circuit breaker is in the main breaker panel it only operates on shore or generator power.
Everything on the black subpanel is inverter fed as wired from WesternRV.
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jeep401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 474
Perfect, the HWH is infact in the main panel. No real reason to turn it off then.
And if for some reason I do want it off the breaker is a much better option.
Thanks for the quick answers from everyone, awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
What Old Scout says. If the hot water circuit breaker is in the main breaker panel it only operates on shore or generator power.
Everything on the black subpanel is inverter fed as wired from WesternRV.
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 156
Just remember to turn the breaker off when you winterize and park plugged in for the winter - if you forget then your electric probe will bbq itself and quit working.
__________________
Tim and Delilah
2004 Alpine Coach, 400 Cummins ISL, 40'
Weatherford Texas
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jeep401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 474
Funny you should mention that. The dealer I bought mine from had done just that.
It was one of the very first things I had to repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper64060 View Post
Just remember to turn the breaker off when you winterize and park plugged in for the winter - if you forget then your electric probe will bbq itself and quit working.
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regular hot water tank or instant hot water tank boltdave Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 02-06-2020 06:52 PM
Aqua Hot solution to my hot, cold, hot water problem JeffK Entegra Owner's Forum 38 06-25-2017 04:54 PM
Hot Water Tank vs Fresh Water Tank Nomad Mike Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 21 07-30-2015 07:23 AM
Hot Water Tank - Can a winterized hot water tank be driven? nskinner RV Systems & Appliances 2 01-06-2013 11:26 PM
Hot, hot very hot water in shower and sinks chuydog Country Coach Owners Forum 11 10-04-2012 06:13 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.