Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

House Battery Drain UPDATE

1998 36fdss Alpine

Need help and direction to find what is draining my house battery. If unplugged from shore power it will go from fully charged to below 9 volts in a couple of days.

Yesterday I removed all the fuses from the service panel in the hall. Turned the main house batt switch OFF.

With fuses removed and main switch off I still get a sizable spark when disconnecting the negative battery cable.

Where do I search next?
I understand that the smoke and CO detectors are not fused but I don't think they should draw the battery down in short time.

Thanks for your advice.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
1998 36fdss Alpine

Need help and direction to find what is draining my house battery. If unplugged from shore power it will go from fully charged to below 9 volts in a couple of days.

Yesterday I removed all the fuses from the service panel in the hall. Turned the main house batt switch OFF.

With fuses removed and main switch off I still get a sizable spark when disconnecting the negative battery cable.

Where do I search next?
I understand that the smoke and CO detectors are not fused but I don't think they should draw the battery down in short time.

Thanks for your advice.
kinda weird you only have one house battery? perhaps the charge solenoid from the alternater is stuck on ? go feel it and see if its hot when battery hooked up
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
rkf

Just install a battery disconnect switch. Or add solar.
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I believe the 1998 Alpine had 2 8D batteries, one for the Chassis and one for the Coach. The inverter is connected to the battery and that can cause the spark when you remove the ground cable.

Have you had a load test performed on the coach battery? It could be going bad. You should also have someone test the amp draw with the inverter connected and disconnected. The 8D is not a deep cycle battery. If you have to replace the 8D battery you should have 4 6 volt batteries installed.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It is pretty typical that coaches use about 20 amp-hours per day to power the refrigerator control board and the Propane Gas detector, unless their coach battery disconnect switch ( often called the salesman switch ) is put into the off or storage position. If you don't already have this switch then you could add one.

If you have been letting your battery drop to 9 volts each time this was done you have reduced the batteries storage capacity. Any time you let its resting voltage drop below 11.5 volts you are permanently reducing its storage capacity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #6

Its probably the inverter--inverter is connected directly to the bats--no switch [even in the 98, I think]. Only way to totally isolate the bats is to disconnect the negative posts......
PS--Don't know if your 8Ds are rated for deep cycle or not but it is likely you have pretty much killed them if they have repeatedly gone to 9 volts--especially true if they are a few years old....
PSS--don't install another bat switch unless you go big--like 300 amps.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

For the house side, this 350A Blue Sea switch would work.

For the starter battery side, you need to pass about 750A to start a cold ISL or ISC size diesel. IIWMI wouldn't put a switch on that, I'd just bite the bullet & pull the negative cable. You might be able to make it work by splitting the hot or ground side using a Y, i.e. running --<== switch ==>-- to a Cole Hersee 880175 switch, rated for 500A (I'm assuming that's 500/leg and not 2ea @ 250A).
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
1998 36fdss Alpine

Where do I search next?

Thanks for your advice.
as others have said if you have a inverter and I assumed with one battery you did not it will cause a spark when u first connect it
and draws power although certainly not in 2 days
charge the battery right to full like 13+ volts and then let it sit unconnected for 3-4 day and see how the voltage is
if its down to 12 or 12.2 the battery is no good
although someone suggest four 6 volts and I agree a single 8D is no where near
four 6volters in amp hour ratings two would be about the same
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you really want to disconnect the batteries completely, go to a truck shop Peterbilt, Kenworth, Frieghtliner, etc. and get a couple "Night Switches" or maybe they will call them "Battery Disconnect" switches. We used them in the Peterbilts and they cut the power completely on the positive side. They will take 1500 amps no problem, so don't worry about not starting. Some of those old trucks took a lot of cranking before they would start in cold weather! Especially the KT Cummins and 3408 Cats.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #10

House Battery Drain-- UPDATE

Thanks to all who gave advice and suggestions.

Posting the follow-up in the hope of helping other "Electrically Challenged' RV'ers.

As it turned out - the fridge was turned ON and even though it automatically switched to propane there was a .58 amp draw to power the indicator lights and whatever else is running.

With the fridge off the draw reduced to .02 amps. Insignificant- I think.

After 4 days and change the house battery voltage has reduced from 12.8 to 12.65.

I don't know what is drawing the .02 amps but I don't think it will be a problem with an 8D battery with reserve capacity of 430 amps.

If I'm not using the coach for a while I'll hook up shore power or disconnect the house batt.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If on shore power in storage why disconnect the battery? Onboard charger should maintain the batteries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From 12.8 to 12.65.....

12.6 is normal resting voltage for a FULLY CHARGED battery

Are you sure your meter is calibrated?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many times the propane leak detector is always powered, I have mounted a switch enabling me to cut power to that item and then added to my pre-flight check list to toggle it to on before camper use of any kind...
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #14

Vince,
You are correct.
This inquiry began because on a recent trip my less than one year old 8D house battery discharged faster than it should have.

After returning home and charging the battery with my garage charger and leaving it disconnected from shore power for 2 weeks the battery was discharged below 10V again.

I needed/wanted to determine if the battery was defective or if there was some extra-ordinary draw discharging the battery.

Tags
battery