Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Post How tall is your Class A, Alpine coach?

We have a 2001 Class A Alpine with stock air conditioners on top but are uncertain what our overall height is, our manual says 11'9".

I thought it would be nice to post a reference on how tall, overall, various Alpines are. Please list your year, make, model.
Suejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I think mine is 11’8”.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:01 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
It would be nice to add tire size to year make and model as well. Some owners have gone to 11R 22.5 and that will skew the overall height.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You cannot take the word of the manual or other owners as the gospel for height. Chassis modifications, tire changes, added vent cover and other than the original A/C unit can all change the overall height. The ONLY way to know for sure is to get up top with a long straight board and a level and with help of a friend on the ground, measure your units height.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You cannot take the word of the manual or other owners as the gospel for height. Chassis modifications, tire changes, added vent cover and other than the original A/C unit can all change the overall height. The ONLY way to know for sure is to get up top with a long straight board and a level and with help of a friend on the ground, measure your units height.

Ken
Yep. I took 2 , 2x4's and screwed them together so I had a 14 foot length. I measured and marked it off starting with 10 ft I think, then every 6 inches after that. Then I got a level with a laser put it on top of my AC, while a friend held the measured board leveled vertically and took a measurement. Mine came out to 12 feet. On my dash I put those embossed sticky tape like stuff, lol, and said 13 feet overhead clearance, IN RED.
I have been hit slightly by a branch going to an Oregon park. No damage thankfully. I have seen many overhead bridges etc that have been hit with too high a load. I don't want to be " That Guy"
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

I got mine like this...

Get an eyeball at the point where it's level with the tops of both ACs. For me, that is the tallest part except for the CB and FM antennas, but those both flex nicely.

So while on the ladder, with an eyeball level with both ACs, I put the tape measure in front of my eye, and read how high up it is. Have the other end touching the ground. I've tried it on other ladders, and I always get a measurement within a few inches.

My coach is ~12'4". I use 12'6" as my clearance limit.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #7

I measured the bottom of the rafter ties in my building then measured down from them to top of A/C. Did this both at travel height and fully dumped

Travel height 12’’ 1”
Air dumped 11’ 6”

Dave
Old 10-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Wise perspective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
I totally agree, well said!
Suejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #9

I built a garage when I had my AZ house and had a 14ft clear height but I didnt realize the door was 12'7" luckily my Monanco Signature at the time was only 12'4". It seems my 2002 Alpine is real close to the same but I do not own that house anymore so hard to compare

Tags
class a