Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
How to replace awning/slide fabric?

Our slide fabric cover is a mess and we want to replace it. Seemed simple enough until we looked at where the fabric channels begin and end. There is a permanent vertical trim piece blocking the end where you could remove and feed the new fabric through. Has anyone dealt with this without wrecking the trim?

Please see the pictures. Of note: there is a section of the fabric channel with a separation in it. Is this the place one would need to open up to feed the fabric through?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	end cap.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	324408   Click image for larger version

Name:	torn area.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	324409  

Click image for larger version

Name:	channel separation.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	324410  
Suejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #2

The separation is just a butt joint of two lengths , so don't disturb that .
Very little space is required to feed the material with the expansion cord through , so JMHO ; I'd be looking to cut about and inch of 1/2 the C trough at the end , clean off all burrs to avoid cutting the new material , and spray with silicone as you work the material into place . Touch up the cut with some white paint.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The separation is just a butt joint of two lengths , so don't disturb that .
Very little space is required to feed the material with the expansion cord through , so JMHO ; I'd be looking to cut about and inch of 1/2 the C trough at the end , clean off all burrs to avoid cutting the new material , and spray with silicone as you work the material into place . Touch up the cut with some white paint.
Good advice but I would not cut the track just spread it to get the material & welt started. Silicone good to help slide it in then crimp the expanded section back to retain the awning. If you cut it you lose the ability to capture the awning end and it will always try to pull out.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If you cut it you lose the ability to capture the awning end and it will always try to pull out.
Stop screws are in place for the expansion cord , the material should never get close to the end of the channel.

Spreading the channel might be possible , but in my experience the channel cracks when trying to spread or close the material .
Old 04-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
There are quite a few you tube videos out there about this. I subscribe to a guy called AZ expert. He is fun to watch and very much a expert rv tech.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Suejo, the bracket in the 2nd picture is undoubtedly part of the anti-bellowing mechanism that keeps the awning from opening up while driving if strong winds prevail. There should be an anti-bellowing device attached to the same end of the outside roller tube. You’ll need to R & R that device when replacing the awning material. Typically, removing that device exposes slots underneath that you can use to “unroll” the awning until all the material is unwrapped and the slot is in the “up” position. I use medium to large screwdrivers to turn the roller while wedging a screwdriver against the mounting bracket to temporarily hold it in place. I’ve heard this effort described as “working on garage door springs” which is a similar effort but less dangerous.

I purchased my awning material from Tough Top Awnings which are really good and very reasonably priced. I did all 3 of my awnings and just helped a friend do his. It’s definitely a DIY project but typically requires 2 ladders and 2 people. Silicon spray will be your friend!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Suejo, the bracket in the 2nd picture is undoubtedly part of the anti-bellowing mechanism that keeps the awning from opening up while driving if strong winds prevail. There should be an anti-bellowing device attached to the same end of the outside roller tube. You’ll need to R & R that device when replacing the awning material. Typically, removing that device exposes slots underneath that you can use to “unroll” the awning until all the material is unwrapped and the slot is in the “up” position. I use medium to large screwdrivers to turn the roller while wedging a screwdriver against the mounting bracket to temporarily hold it in place. I’ve heard this effort described as “working on garage door springs” which is a similar effort but less dangerous.

I purchased my awning material from Tough Top Awnings which are really good and very reasonably priced. I did all 3 of my awnings and just helped a friend do his. It’s definitely a DIY project but typically requires 2 ladders and 2 people. Silicon spray will be your friend!
How similar and how much less dangerous?

I had a garage door have a problem once, but I let a pro mess with the spring. I stuck a long bar on there before I called them and decided I didn't want to hurt myself or break something.

I'm glad to hear this is a DIY task.
Our fabric slide covers have been in rough shape since we bought it, and one of them (the small bedroom slide) ripped apart yesterday.

I'll look into Tough Top. I'll go watch some videos of the process as well.

Anyone near Flagstaff, AZ that wants to help? I have a couple ladders there, but not a second person willing to climb one.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The spring in the awning roller is NOT as strong or exposed like a typical garage door spring but could still be a problem if you’re not careful. Garage door springs are adjusted using solid round rods that fit into holes provided for this purpose. The end of the awning roller tube has a couple of slots/openings in which you can use screwdrivers to turn the roller tube. You can rest one screwdriver against the mounting bracket while repositioning the second screwdriver. I’ve never had the roller tube uncoil but I would imagine it just takes a while to coil it back up using screwdrivers.

Tip: if you use Tough Top awnings, they are typically not as long or deep as the original thus having the effect of tightening the spring tension. So, don’t add spring tension before installing the material. And, don’t be surprised if it wrinkles a little while coiling up. It usually straightens itself out eventually with use. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

Thanks for the reassurance. I had a nice metal bar that fit the hole in the garage door mechanism perfectly. When I felt how much tension was on it, I decided that was a task I'd delegate

I found the instructions from Dometic/A&E about rewinding it. I was worried it was something worse than it is. FYI for anyone reading, it's 13 turns.

I was up on the RV roof taking measurements earlier.
Going to do some price comparisons and hopefully order tonight.

Should I do anything special before driving the RV back to Flagstaff?
I was going to make sure the metal cover was on top of the roller and call it good, ie me on the roof holding up the metal protector while my while brings in slide.
Should I try to tape it down or something for the 80ish miles back? None of it will be over 50 mph, and a lot will be 25 mph.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Slide fabric replaced :)

Thank you everyone for your input. We did finally figure it out and got the fabric installed. We actually ended up opening up the fabric channel where there was already a butt joint, about 3 or 4 feet farther back on the coach. We filed the edges a bit and actually used a soapy spray to lube the channel, which worked very well with repeated applications.

It was difficult with the two of us at one point but we inched it along. I'd say this is ideally a 3 person job.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suejo View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. We did finally figure it out and got the fabric installed. We actually ended up opening up the fabric channel where there was already a butt joint, about 3 or 4 feet farther back on the coach. We filed the edges a bit and actually used a soapy spray to lube the channel, which worked very well with repeated applications.

It was difficult with the two of us at one point but we inched it along. I'd say this is ideally a 3 person job.
Glad you got them installed
Did you do all 3 slide toppers?
Which brand did you use?

I got my torn topper replaced. We ordered all 3 from Tough Top Awnings. I'm waiting until we sit still somewhere warm to install the other 2. I was able to do the smallest one by myself while camping, but I doubt I would have the same success with the next size up, and the large one would be impossible alone.

FYI, I was able to bend the channels fine without any cracking. My channel had been pinched to hold the awning in place, so I had to use a flat screwdriver to pry it open. Since there were also set screws, I didn't crimp the channel again.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Slide awning replacement

We ordered our awning fabric from RV Awnings Mart https://www.rvawningsmart.com/produc...ement-fabrics/.
$75 for our 16' slide out. Not bad! We had to order a slightly larger size than we needed and then cut it down to fit, according to instructions.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:59 AM   #13

hello Bob, Did A-Z Awning know your exact sizes based on model? We have 2000 40FDSS and I have not removed old one to measure. Thanks Dennis Gogg
Binnewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
If you’re referring to me, I’m not familiar with A-Z Awnings. I recommend Tough Top Awnings. Their website has instructions on how to measure the existing awning. I’ve helped 2 - owners with replacing their slide top awnings and they’re very pleased with the results. Note of caution …. It’s a DIY project but typically requires 2 - people unless you’re doing a small slide. One person guides the material into the slots while the second person pulls it into position. Long slides like my LR 14’ slide was difficult to pull but my wife guided the material while I pulled it.

The key is to use a silicone spray lubricant in the upper slot. The roller slot is typically pretty easy but a little silicone can help.

Tags
ace, awning, awnings, replace, slide