Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #15

Ref a whole buch of earlier posts--the "issue" with the rear/driver's side jack is pretty straightforward. HWH jacks are single direction cylinders [as opposed to the slide rams which are bi-directional]. Accordingly, the jacks are stored using the force of the springs to squeeze the fluid back to the pump reservior [weak springs, cold fluid, or dirty cylinders can impact retract time]. During the store function, HWH simply holds the extend solenoids open so the fluid can escape from the retracting jacks. If you terminate the store function early, subsequent heat from the engine/radiator will expand the fluid remaining in the jack/hose and cause the jack to extend. It takes less than an inch of jack extension to trip the buzzer so the more time you can spend in store mode before startup the better.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Monty, Old Scott got it right. The jacks retract right away but the system is still 'active' for many minutes before shutting down.

Also on my coach, one can activate the store button to clear the alarm. I've pulled over several times before using this method. However, leaving the system on while driving away ( after the jacks are UP ) works best.
Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Silverleaf system, which allows me to control everything from one panel on the dash. When I choose "store", I then can go to "manual", and see when the jacks are up. The lights go out, and the system reports "inactive", so I guess it is the type of system we have in the APEX model versus the other models. Ours is a modified 625 system according to what HWH told me on the phone. The computer may be doing stuff in the background, but my store actions are completed, in less than a minute usually. These comments are not in any way to disagree with previous ones, but a description of what happens on my RV. Others may have different actions, and processes which vary from model of HWH system, and MH. I am not sure I can do the software update, but since it works well for us, I am not going to mess with success, and since I worked in the Computer industry for 15 years, I know how things can get fouled up by them.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #18

I don't know how many different verions of firmware HWH produced, but in my 1999 Alipine Coach the "Store" function turns off when the ingnition is turned on or the parking brake is released. When I start on a cool morning, the "Jacks Down" alarm sounds after a couple of hours of driving and as the day gets warmer. Not only does a warning light come on, but a piercing alarm sounds as well. I could stand to drive it with the warning light, but the alarm is enough to inflict pain. The only solution is to pull off the road (sometimes this can't be done for many miles), shift to neutral, and engage the parking brake. Then the store function can be activated to stop the alarm. I have tried the process of letting the "Store" fuction go full cycle in the morning before I start driving, but this seems to make no difference. The problem is caused by the fluid expanding as the whole system warms up. No amount of "Store" time is going to help whlle the system is cold.

I called HWH customer service, and no one there seemed to know anything about the EPROMS with new firmware. Finally, I guess they found an oldtimer who knew it existed and found a part number. No one seems to know exactly what this firmware does or does not do, but that it should address the "Store" function while driving. In any case, they said they would ship me the the EPROM(s). I guess I will have to try some experiments to see what functions they enable while driving. I will do another post when I get it figured out. If anyone else has already gone through the firmware upgrade process and knows exactly what changes were made, please let us know. A previous post said that the new firmware would allow the jacks to be deployed while driving, which I find hard to believe. As a firmware designer at one time in my career, it would be pretty dumb to enable a function that would be very dangerous and destructive. I hope HWH is smarter than that.

Dave Morgan
Alpine Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #19

I had a 2000 Alpine built Oct 99. The sensors on the jacks are magnets and they are probably not an exact science how they are installed. I had a problem with the warning coming on. In 2000, I took the board out of my 625 and sent to HWH and they fixed it for free. I drove it for 10 years and I could retract the jacks while driving no problem. The jacks retract by springs only. The only thing that will happen when hit the store button is open the solenoid and let the jack retract. The pump isn't used for the store function, so there is not much danger withe the jacks coming down.

The only ones with the 2000 series HWH are the Apex with the Silverleaf. It retracts the same way, with springs, so when senses the magnet too far apart, it goes to store automatically because you can't get to HWH menu while you are driving. All I can say on my Apex, the warning would come on after after about 1 1/2 hours. I had Joe Elwell upgrade mine with his laptop and it works fine. Joe has worked for both Silverleaf and HWH and knows both systems well. I drove it over 3000 miles and never had to stop to retract it.

All I am saying is there are fixes that worked great for me . I worry more about safety to stop and put the parking brake on to retract.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
M&J

I have had the same issue as Kraig with my 07 Apex. I had Joe Elwell update my HWH system after Kraig but I have not been in a warm climate to see if it works but from what Kraig said it took care of the issue. Definitely a necessary update for the Apex.