Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH 625 Control Box

For those of you that like to have some critical spare parts on hand. Here is an HWH control box as fitted to some Alpine Coaches. This is an eBay seller and the item number is 111001150703
The seller is asking $399 but will accept offers.
Just put the item number in the eBay search box and run the search, it will come up with the box.

I already picked up a HWH 600 control box for my Alpine. Here is your chance.

From the eBay ad:
"HWH
625 SERIES CONTROL BOX hydraulic leveling system / slide out control module manufactured by the HWH corporation part # AP29534 (RAP91267)

"This unit is new (came right out of a sealed box we obtained from the western RV parts dept when they closed) we have no way to test it but it is new and was in a sealed box"
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

After a recent problem with my HWH control box (which was repaired by HWH for about $100 with a 4 day turn around plus shipping time), I decided to do what Wayne R did, and plan to build a manual control box that I can use in the event of another control panel failure. It is far cheaper than a spare control box, which incidentally went close to 9 years with no problem, and will provide a way to operate the slides and jacks until I can get my control box repaired again. Mine was a simple problem, a $3 part. Their maximum repair cost for the control board is about $500. A new box was over $700 from HWH.

Also, there is a thread on here about an emergency method to operate the slides in the event of a control box failure. It is quick and easy to build, and I tried it and it works very well. The procedure is available from the ACA Technical Library as well. That will get the slides in and you can be back on the road to travel to a repair facility.

Finally, my coach has a different part number on the control box. Not sure if they are interchangable.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

Dave, doesn't your coach have the 610 system? That's what I have in mine.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Dave, doesn't your coach have the 610 system? That's what I have in mine.
Mine doesn't have the Hydraulic Jacks for leveling. It uses the air bags as the stationary leveling system. I may be incorrect in calling it a 600. But, the HWH model number tag on the boxes match.

By-the-way, is there any additional secret trap doors in this puzzle to gain greater access to the control box? The only access I have been able to figure out so far is through the passenger side electrical/fuse access openings and that access is absolutely jammed full of wires and cabling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH_Control_panel-sm.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	33035   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH_control_box-sm.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	33036  

Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

I have a removable panel behind and to the right of the accelerator but there are vent hoses in the way from that direction. If you pull off the vinyl panel that covers the top of the dashboard you should find a large hole that you can access the radio and heater controls but it's too far to reach down to the control box if it is on the floor like mine. I guess it's another example of building the coach around something that you can't get at.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, John. I thought there was probably access from the top. But, I was delaying trying to figure out how to open that puzzle box until I decide on spending the money for a GPS and a new back-up monitor.

A new back-up display and a GPS need to be worked into the driver's console/space. If I wasn't considering putting a Silverleaf on the back-up I could use the GPS for both functions. One of them will probably end up in the dash (after moving the radio lower) and the other on a drop down from the cabinets over the windshield. I want a 12 Volt back-up monitor I will feel more comfortable with leaving on all the time.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

I guess you are looking at the 7720 for a GPS and monitor combined. I have the 7710 which has its quirks but works for me. Check out this old thread for info on the monitor question if you want to go for separate units.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/inte...era-84894.html
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I guess you are looking at the 7720 for a GPS and monitor combined. I have the 7710 which has its quirks but works for me. Check out this old thread for info on the monitor question if you want to go for separate units.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/inte...era-84894.html
Good info on the back-up Camera. I was wondering about the configuration--now I know. I like the way you hung the monitor, I had been considering the center, so when I looked for the rear view mirror I would actually see one. I'll have to check now to see which I prefer,

I was real hot on the 7720 GPS, but I've read a lot of reviews on it and the Garmin Dezl. Some 7720 users are not very complimentary about it's user interface. The Dezl isn't quite as good at keeping you off roads you shouldn't be on.

I have been a long time Garmin user and will probably get the Dezl so I can do route planning on my laptop and load it into the Dezl. The 7720 is reported as not being able to do that. In addition, I am already familiar with Garmin's way of doing things. The Dezl also has a back up monitor connection. But I like the routing on all the time and I want to be able to be able to have a quick look at my toad on the back-up monitor too (without pushing a button).
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

I put my monitor under the TV so I could reach it when driving. You may want to turn it on and off while driving or change the angle of the display. It is also more in your line of site so you don't lose the view of the road ahead. I usually have mine closed up while driving, particularly at night, but that is a personal preference.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #10

V-8Dave
The assess for the contro,box is thru the passenger side fuse panel area
The secret is the control box is held in place by Velcro. Pull it loose gently from the firewall and bring it towards you under the heater blower motor. I found I could unplug and remove it just a few minutes. I removed and updated computer chip an replaced in a short time.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #11

Sandy, can you explain the need to update the chip? Was this supplied by HWH to fix a particular problem?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Commercial Member

what chip was it, and what problem did it fix.
was it the one that fixes the problem of having to stop, set the park brake in order to retract a jack and shut off the jack down alarm? if so i had to do the same on a coach that im working on. hwh charged me for the chip, but it fixed the problem.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1 View Post
V-8Dave
The assess for the contro,box is thru the passenger side fuse panel area
The secret is the control box is held in place by Velcro. Pull it loose gently from the firewall and bring it towards you under the heater blower motor. I found I could unplug and remove it just a few minutes. I removed and updated computer chip an replaced in a short time.
Thanks Sandy. I'll take another look and reassess the access. Getting it off the wall by prying it off Velcro is going to be a lot easier than trying to get a wrench or screwdriver in there on a blind fastener head.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I put my monitor under the TV so I could reach it when driving. You may want to turn it on and off while driving or change the angle of the display. It is also more in your line of site so you don't lose the view of the road ahead. I usually have mine closed up while driving, particularly at night, but that is a personal preference.
Had the Coach out yesterday and checked out the potential positions. Your left side under the TV location looks like it will be better than in the center of the windshield. It also turns out that the center mount is too high for a quick glance. I had to move my head to look up and and right toward the center. But, just had to move my eyes to see the upper left area.

Thanks, you kept me from drilling a set of holes in the wrong place.

Tags
hwh