Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Bedroom Slide Leak

Hello all,

Well the hose troll has struck...again. In 2005 I had the hose that runs from the bedroom slide to the valve complex on the passenger side compartment to the aft of the front wheel. It has lasted until a couple of weeks ago. So the defective hoses were still in the system when mine were replaced then. The hoses were purchased from HWH through Cummins Northwest in Renton, WA.

I do not know if any rerouting of hoses were done around the radiator nor if any heat shielding was done. I also don't know if the two hoses connected to the "equalizer"? in the battery compartment were replaced. (I didn't know I had the equalizer in the battery compartment - I guess I better look!) Therefore I cannot say if my issue is heat related or defective hoses/connections.

I received the recommended fixes from members on this forum and will print them out for the RV repair place in Yakima that says they can fix my leak. Hopefully this will resolve my leak for good!

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Lynn Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Are you talking about Aubrey's in Yakima? They do good work and know Alpines very well. I had them install a residential fridge in a 36 foot Alpine a couple of years ago. They did a great job and did it for a reasonable price..

Frank
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Yes! They said they have done HWH work on Alpines! Thanks for the vote of confidence in them!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Bedroom Slide Leak

Lynn Marie, around '04 - '05 WRV was using hydraulic hose made by someone other than HWH (I suppose to reduce costs). On our '05 about 2 years ago we developed pin hole leaks in 2 of our main slide hoses. Actually, while the leaks appeared to be pinhole leaks in the hose, the real problem was the fitting at the end of the hose, they were NOT swaged on and leaked with the fluid traveling under the plastic outer cover until it found a weak spot and started to leak through the pin holes. Replacing both hoses (they need to be exactly the same length, solved the problem. If you are having problems with hoses, most any competent hydraulic shop can fix you up, you just need to be aware that hose length does matter (that is why you have extra hose coiled in some places).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Lynn Marie, around '04 - '05 WRV was using hydraulic hose made by someone other than HWH (I suppose to reduce costs). On our '05 about 2 years ago we developed pin hole leaks in 2 of our main slide hoses. Actually, while the leaks appeared to be pinhole leaks in the hose, the real problem was the fitting at the end of the hose, they were NOT swaged on and leaked with the fluid traveling under the plastic outer cover until it found a weak spot and started to leak through the pin holes. Replacing both hoses (they need to be exactly the same length, solved the problem. If you are having problems with hoses, most any competent hydraulic shop can fix you up, you just need to be aware that hose length does matter (that is why you have extra hose coiled in some places).
Thank you DrDaveMA!!! Appreciate it!!!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #6

Actually--the primary year for non-HWH sourced hoses was 2003 [at least from personal experience]. Thought by 2005, they had it worked out and were back to HWH-sourced hoses. The problem with the bedroom wardrobe slide in 38ft and shorter coaches seems to be heat-related from the radiator, and perhaps, in addition, something to do with the way the equalizer tubes and the scissors rams are actuated--very abrupt movement. Not sure if this applies to both HWH and non-HWH hoses, but if you look closely you will see that the outside layer on the hoses is actually uniformly perforated to allow for leaks from the inter-hose layers so as to seep at the leak point...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Old Scout!

My coach was probably built in 03, but title says 04, since I bought the coach in March of 04 and there was a month left on the warranty. However I did have the the bedroom slide hose replaced in 05 and I thought that the hose came from HWH, but WRV was involved with the process at the time, so maybe they provided the replacement hose and I got another less robust one!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Actually--the primary year for non-HWH sourced hoses was 2003 [at least from personal experience]. Thought by 2005, they had it worked out and were back to HWH-sourced hoses. The problem with the bedroom wardrobe slide in 38ft and shorter coaches seems to be heat-related from the radiator, and perhaps, in addition, something to do with the way the equalizer tubes and the scissors rams are actuated--very abrupt movement. Not sure if this applies to both HWH and non-HWH hoses, but if you look closely you will see that the outside layer on the hoses is actually uniformly perforated to allow for leaks from the inter-hose layers so as to seep at the leak point...

Dean, it also depends upon the floor plan, on the FDTS there are no hoses near the radiator, I know, I checked while radiator was being replaced.

At least on our '05 we had non-HWH hoses.

I never looked to see if the hose was purposely perforated, but that makes sense.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

Probably out beyond my "headlights" [again] but figured any 38ft or shorter coach with a wardrobe slide on the driver's side, above the radiator, would also have to have hoses above/around the radiator area??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Ironically 38 FDTS has bed slide on driver's side and vanity on passenger's side, wardrobe is in rear.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #11

Why do I have to keep "re-learning" this stuff--perhaps because I forget?????? ........but to be clear, when we talk about "most" hose leaks, we are talking about Alpines with wardrobe slides over the radiator, kinda, maybe????? Keep me honest......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #12

For any with this problem (hydraulic leak on HWH wardrobe slide with lines run over the CAC and radiator), I did a "redesign" that should prove a LOT more reliable.

Fewer connections, larger diameter lines and routed lines forward of the CAC and radiator into a cooler area.

PM me (include your e-mail address) if you see oil leaking down the front edge of your CAC or other symptom of this issue and I will be happy to send you a copy of the document.

Lynn already has a copy.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #13

FWIW, the previous owner of our coach had a hydraulic hose replaced in the "right rear compartment" according to the paperwork. This is where the equalization cylinder resides, brilliantly positioned above the Vansco unit. I believe this to be the hose from the wardrobe slide, on a 36MDDS or FDDS. The PO also fabricated a trough to divert hydraulic fluid. The cylinder is prone to leaking, which I learned after having the hydraulics inspected. The shop advised that the cylinder could be replaced but would develop leaks in short order which would lead to a dissatisfied customer who had paid a sum of cash to not have a problem fixed.

I do not know it the replaced hose was rerouted away from the steamy radiator and CAC. Typically a leak will develop at the end of a hose where the end fitting is not properly swagged/crimped. Since it is somewhere between difficult and impossible to get a swag tool on the fitting once the hose is installed, removing and replacing the hose is the standard repair. This generally involves hundreds of dollars for labor and a $70 hose. The end result is a new and theoretically higher quality hose than what was originally installed, regardless of the source.

The moral of this story, if there is one, is that replacing an otherwise properly functioning equalization cylinder may be in unnecessary expenditure.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leak, slide