RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Leveling Jacks Access Door

2005 Alpine Coach 36 FDDS
The lock access door for the HWH Jacks is frozen and the key will not turn. I have been spraying every fluid known to man in the lock hole for six months and I still can't get the lock to turn.
I need ideas on how to get that door open. I didn't want to just drool the lockout if someone had a better idea.

tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #2

From underneath do you have enough room that you may be able to use a socket and long extension to remove the nut holding the lock arm?

Old 08-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

….it would be a bit of a pain, but that whole panel swings up on the beltline hinge cam joint--just like the basement doors....need to take bolts out that hold bottom/sides of panel in place... careful--no retainer tab on cam joint for this panel so at 90 degrees up, it will fall off hinge cam....I know--lots of work to remove panel but doing so would allow access to back of compartment door....good luck...
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Tom, I wonder if the problem is the lever on the lock is jammed? Remember it turns left and on ours it turns left. That lever jams so it could jam, reach up under and spray it with PB Blaster.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #5

I know this is going to sound stupid, but are you sure you're using the right key?
My same year and model coach has its own key for that door that doesn't fit anything else on the coach....
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #6

Yes, our key for that access door is unique as well. If you're trying to use the bin lock keys its the wrong one...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #7

Interesting--the keys for my 2003 are the same one???????
Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #8

I think mine is unique too, but I'll double check and report back if it's the same.

If your lock is frozen, I think your only option will be to drill it out. You can't get to it from underneath. The only opening on our 2005 are on the sides and rear, and very narrow. Not nearly enough room to get any tools up where the lock is.

I'll go check my keys now.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #9

...did I mention that you can unbolt the entire fender panel and lift it up on the belt-line hinge--like you do the basement doors--or at least enough to get at the inside of the door??????
Old 08-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #10

Nope. I was wrong.
That door uses the same CH751 key all the bays use.
I did notice it is difficult to unlock. It seemed like it's because the arm/lever on the lock has to slide through a narrow slot. The arm is not perfectly perpendicular, so it rubs while sliding open. I have to jiggle the door a little as I turn the key. This may not actually help, but maybe keeping that in mind could help?

Dave has a good idea too to just remove that whole fender. If it's not a seized lock, it could be that arm has corroded into the slot. By removing the whole fender, you might be able to free it up without replacing anything.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #11

Wiggle and giggle the Key with one hand and tap on the door with you other hands finger tips.
Vibration may help get things moving.

Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks