Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #1

HWH mercury switch location

Does anyone have an idea where the auto level mercury switch might be located on my 2005 40FDQS? I am getting an excess level light even parked in my cement floored level barn. Oh yea, and it's intermittent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #2

Have you tried to contact the Manufacture? On my coach it in the dash behind the gauges and I have an access cover on the to of the dash itself for easy access.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #3

Pat, check the basement ceiling around the center/middle of your coach. Mine is a round disc shape.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

Nope--the HWH leveling switch on the newer Alpine coaches is built into the control box that is mounted right on the pump assembly......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Nope--the HWH leveling switch on the newer Alpine coaches is built into the control box that is mounted right on the pump assembly......
And is easily adjusted.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swprdog View Post
Does anyone have an idea where the auto level mercury switch might be located on my 2005 40FDQS? I am getting an excess level light even parked in my cement floored level barn. Oh yea, and it's intermittent.

On the Ď05ís open the small access door directly behind the entry door, passengers side (that panel will remove for easier access). You will see the HWH control box, at the bottom in the center you will see 4 yellow LEDís. Those are the level indicators. Place you coach on a level surface with a carpenters level inside on the floor. Manually level the coach by the carpenters level (or the door method I describe below). Once the coach is truly level, adjust the bolt/screw on the right hand side of the box until all LEDís are out. You will be level. Just to be sure go into the coach and open the bathroom door, if it swings without touching it you are not level, manually adjust the jacks until the door does not move when opened (try several positions of the door). Once you have it right, adjust to turn the LEDís off. The LEDís have a tolerance so you should adjust until off, go past until the LED you are adjusting turns back on, then approximate the center of the travel from off to on. It will take a couple of tries, but once you get it you are set for a long time, or until something goes haywire.....
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #7

HWH mercury leveling switch

A past owner must have turned the hydraulic unit around because I see nothing that looks like DR Dave explained. I would post pictures but I can't remember how to do it. (it's an age thing)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	207431  
Old 06-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #8

Wow, looks like I posted a photo. This is looking from the outside with the little access door off.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
HWH mercury switch location

On the far side of the box at the right side of the picture are the adjustment bolt/screw I described. If you look in that box on the right, at the bottom you will see the LEDís.

Your pump assembly is rotated 90 degrees from how mine is mounted (I have a Ď05 38í FDTS).
Old 06-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #10

I don't have a single photo available to show what Dr.Dave is talking about, so maybe 3 will suffice! I assume my control box is oriented the same as his. This is what I see when I remove the compartment door.

The photos show (rather poorly) the control box and the circuit board that controls the leveling. In the middle photo you can see the adjustment screws at the lower bottom side of the box, on the outside. The hex bolt and the Phillips screw adjust the position of the board to turn out the 4 yellow LED lights.

Name:	HWH System 0009.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	207436

Name:	HWH System 0012.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	207437
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH System 0010.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	207438  
Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
In the second photo, below the 2 cable connectors are the adjustments, the Phillips screw adjusts for the front to back and the hex head bolt is left to right. As you adjust them you will see the board with the LEDís move, adjust until all 4 LEDís are off. Then check that you are happy with the ďlevelĒ in the coach, if not tweak the adjustments until you are. Then let it auto level a few times, tweaking as required.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Call Paul Maddox, 928 636 8280 he is the HWH service rep on the West Coast and he will walk you through the adjustment.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

They didn't make it easy for that model coach to make those adjustments but it can be done. I use a mirror to see the LED lights better and you can reach your arm around the back to make the adjustments as pointed out in the other posts, but it's all by feel. You'll also want to check to make sure the LED lights are showing the same as the lights on your HWH touch control panel inside the coach. And then confirm using your levels in the coach that you're level. I think I found a couple of videos on u-tube detailing the process. It's not uncommon for the process to take several attempts in order to get it like you want it.

Good luck.
RDM3525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Commercial Member

hi pat. it looks like these guys have the level sensor pretty well handles. its refreshing to see owners who can handle their own repairs.
my question is, are you way off level where you are parked?, and does the system go immediately to excess slope, or does it after leveling? does the coach actually go to full stroke on one of the jacks?

if its way off level, it may be beyond the capacity of the jacks to level in that spot.
if it goes immediately to excess slope without trying to level, it can be a bad corroded connection or low battery. some touch pads dont have a low battery light,
if it extends one jack all the way out and then goes to excess slope, the pressure switch for that jack could be bad.

also, inspect the level sensor itself. if it has a 1/4 inch spring on top, the cross piece may be broken. that will allow the level sensor to go out often, not just once in a while.
if you need a service manual, email me at pfmaddox@att.net i will send you one.

please feel free to call me at 1-602-549-3638
paul maddox
i do work for hwh, i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, hwh, switch