Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Question HWH pump wont engage

I have a 2003 Alpine with the 625 Series HWH computerized leveling system. Recently I have had to run my engine in order for my living room slide to extend or retract. Last night my system completely stopped working. My jacks are up but each of my slides are extended a couple of inches. I have verified that I have power to my solenoids and I have power to my pump when the system is activated. However the pump will not engage. I am a little low on hydraulic fluid ( about 1/2 tank). Surely this cannot be keeping my system from energizing????? I am guessing that my pump is toast. Is there anything else that I should be checking before I attempt to order a new pump? Any advice would be appreciated. I have contacted HWH troubleshooting but it is my understanding that I may be waiting quite a while for a callback.
Please help!
M Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You might try u-tube troubleshooting for the leveling system.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

Half a tank is quite low IMO, there should be a dipstick on the filler/breather cap which shows when to add a quart of HWH oil. I suspect running the system low on oil has allowed air into the hoses and cylinders, HWH does not have a way to bleed away trapped air, it must be worked out by filling the tank extending the jacks or slides, retracting them and topping off the oil, then repeating the procedure until the tank remains full after repeated operations of the cylinders. Visit HWH.com for complete information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Totten View Post
I have a 2003 Alpine with the 625 Series HWH computerized leveling system. Recently I have had to run my engine in order for my living room slide to extend or retract. Last night my system completely stopped working. My jacks are up but each of my slides are extended a couple of inches. I have verified that I have power to my solenoids and I have power to my pump when the system is activated. However the pump will not engage. I am a little low on hydraulic fluid ( about 1/2 tank). Surely this cannot be keeping my system from energizing????? I am guessing that my pump is toast. Is there anything else that I should be checking before I attempt to order a new pump? Any advice would be appreciated. I have contacted HWH troubleshooting but it is my understanding that I may be waiting quite a while for a callback.
Please help!
By what you mentioned above, I am leaning toward Battery problem's........low voltage may of heated the motor up and it failed?? I would have your batteries load tested to make sure they are all good after you find out if the pump motor is bad or good........
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

M,
On my Alpine, the jacks have to be down to move the slides. Does the pump run if you try to extent the jacks?
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Commercial Member

i would agree on the batteries. you need at least 11.9 volts to run the pump fast enough to generate the pressure needed. load test your batteries. it sounds like time for new ones.
1/2 tank should still be enough to not add air in the lines.if you are on fairly level ground. it wont hurt to add until its 1 1/2 inches below the top. when the rooms come in, check it again.
get a service manual. it will help diagnose your problem. if you cant find one, email me at pfmaddox@att.net and i will send you one.
paul maddox
i work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #7

I have 14.5 volts at the pump when the system is turned on. The pump doesn't even try to start. I can understand it not having enough juice to move the slides but wouldn't the pump even try to kick on? Am I correct in my thinking or not?
I have been looking at the service manual online. As i try the manual troubleshooting, the jacks do not move at all.
Also is there a way to manually bring my slides in. They are only out 1 to 2 inches.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
There is a 99.9 % chance the brushes on your HWH electric motor are shot. This is a fairly common issue and related to the amount of usage (worn out). You will need to replace the motor.

For now you can tap on the motor near its rear, fairly hard to vibrate the brushes and get it working temporally. I have had good success with this technique.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

….think Gary is on to it....the pump motors in that era had a tendency for the negative brush frame to break out of the bake-lite base and become misaligned. Tapping the motor case with "small" hammer or small taps [smile] may get the motor to kick over and get slides in.
PS--if jacks are retracted, should be enough fluid for slides.
PSS--on this model year, jacks must be down to extend slides [motor lock-out] but believe you can retract regardless of jack status????
PSS--battery status has two measures of merit: 1- is voltage level; and 2-is amp out put. Bad bats can show good voltage but wont run high amp applications like the HWH motor...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Commercial Member

if yoyr pump motor runs, check the pump pressure. it should be around 3200 lbs. no lower than 3000. the pressure is adjustable, but not without a 5000 lb pressure gauge. im not even going to tell you how unless you have a gauge, and can send me a pic of it. you can ruin a lot of stuff just by messing with the adjustment.
they are available at hwh website. get the gauge, and a short hose. we use parker fittings, so grainger has those.

if your motor doesnt run, try this.
run the system in auto. go outside, and test the wire on the pump motor, right at the motor stud. if you have power, its the motor, if not, check the pump relay.
my bet is on the battery connection, or the motor.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #11

Thank you everyone for your input. I replaced the motor and it is working great!

Tags
hwh